• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Jews not believe Jesus is God's son?Anybody Jewish want to answer?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
at best he was a jew who, through his actions, caused the Romans to worry about a possible rebellion and he was executed as an enemy of the state, as many jews were at that time

at worst, he never existed and to discuss his role in Judaism is pointless...

however you view the character of jesus, i again point out,
he is a non-issue in Judaism, period.

sushannah

Jews do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah because he did not fill the role of the Messiah as prophesied in the tanakh. The Jews of Jesus day were looking for the Messiah as many still are today, but the concept of the Messiah as G-d in the flesh simply does not exist in Judaism. It did not exist then and it doesn't exist now. The Messiah is a earthly king that will bring restoration and peace to Israel. The view that exist in the Christian church was largely a creation of Paul, who never met Jesus in person. The religion that paul created is a mixture of several pagan religions that existed at the time. The belief in a trinity is contrary to the Jewish belief that G-d is only one G-d. The contents of the New Testament were chosen and edited by leaders of the Christian church around 325 A.D. The writings that were chosen were selected with the paulinist view in mind, this is the view that the leaders of the church wished to expand. I have read the NT more than once and personally I must ask why the people who knew Jesus personally (his disciples) are nearly silent, having spent more than three years with him and learning from him!

sushannah

Jews do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah because he did not fill the role of the Messiah as prophesied in the tanakh. The Jews of Jesus day were looking for the Messiah as many still are today, but the concept of the Messiah as G-d in the flesh simply does not exist in Judaism. It did not exist then and it doesn't exist now. The Messiah is a earthly king that will bring restoration and peace to Israel. The view that exist in the Christian church was largely a creation of Paul, who never met Jesus in person. The religion that paul created is a mixture of several pagan religions that existed at the time. The belief in a trinity is contrary to the Jewish belief that G-d is only one G-d. The contents of the New Testament were chosen and edited by leaders of the Christian church around 325 A.D. The writings that were chosen were selected with the paulinist view in mind, this is the view that the leaders of the church wished to expand. I have read the NT more than once and personally I must ask why the people who knew Jesus personally (his disciples) are nearly silent, having spent more than three years with him and learning from him!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
sushannah said:
Jews do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah because he did not fill the role of the Messiah as prophesied in the tanakh. The Jews of Jesus day were looking for the Messiah as many still are today, but the concept of the Messiah as G-d in the flesh simply does not exist in Judaism. It did not exist then and it doesn't exist now. The Messiah is a earthly king that will bring restoration and peace to Israel. The view that exist in the Christian church was largely a creation of Paul, who never met Jesus in person.
Correct.
sushannah said:
The religion that paul created is a mixture of several pagan religions that existed at the time.
Nonsense.
sushannah said:
The contents of the New Testament were chosen and edited by leaders of the Christian church around 325 A.D.
Incorrect.

Avi

I believe she is referring to the Council of Nicea in 325 AD where the Byzantine Empire (Emperor Constantine) decided to reject the Arian idea (having no relation to the Aryan race whatsoever) of Jesus being neither divine, nor human; neither G-d, nor man; but an intermediate of the two. Instead, the Council of Nicea, consisting of 318 bishops from around the Empire, was convened to finally determine the true nature of Jesus Christ, thus preventing a potential civil war. It was decided that Jesus (and G-d) was a trinity, and that's what we see today.

Avi

Jayhawker Soule said:
... which did not choose and edit the NT as she claims.
You're right, but I can empathize with her concerns over human politics playing a role with the divine. You know what I mean?

sushannah

I actually meant to refer to this era in time in general, as nothing that resembles a completed NT predates the time of Constantine. The individual writings predate this time, of course. The fact that the writings of Paul predate all other NT writings makes me think that Pauline thought had a big influence here. Early church leaders had access to other writings and alternative versions of writings that may have been more historically correct, which they eventually rejected. Some of these writings portray Jesus very differently than the Messiah - G-d in the flesh figure that the church adopted in 325.

Tek

Most jews dont because that is what of the old testoment speaks of that the Messiah will not be loved by His people

sushannah

Tek said:
Most jews dont because that is what of the old testoment speaks of that the Messiah will not be loved by His people
Most Jews don't believe because Jesus did not do what the Messiah was supposed to do, bring restoration and peace to Israel. The kind of view your talking about (Jews Hate Jesus) has been the cause of anti-semitism for nearly 2000 years. Not to mention that your are interpreting Jewish scripture from a non-Jewish perspective - how can you know what it originally meant!

Deut 13:1

Tek said:
Thank you for telling me, a Jew, what I do and don't believe. Let me repay the favor, all Christian/Buddhist or whatever you are believe in X, Y, and Z.

How about you stop trying to tell us what we believe and worry about your own beliefs.

breedingfreedom

I am Jewish and I do believe in Yeshua as the Messiah. I am not Jewish by race, which many people claim to be, but I am a mixed breed European/Guatemalan, that practices Jewish tradition.

breedingfreedom

I would also like to add: It is not a wholly Jewish belief that Yeshua wasn't the Messiah. It was a group of Jewish people that believed he wasn't the Messiah. Opinion of Messianic Judaism believers does not conflict with the scriptures.

Deut 13:1

breedingfreedom said:
I am Jewish and I do believe in Yeshua as the Messiah. I am not Jewish by race, which many people claim to be, but I am a mixed breed European/Guatemalan, that practices Jewish tradition.
Then you're not Jewish, period. That's like me claiming to be black, when I'm not.

Avi

breedingfreedom said:
I would also like to add: It is not a wholly Jewish belief that Yeshua wasn't the Messiah. It was a group of Jewish people that believed he wasn't the Messiah. Opinion of Messianic Judaism believers does not conflict with the scriptures.
First, you are not a Jew, whatsoever. There is no ethnic Jew (persay), only the Jewish People. Secondly, The Messianic "Jewry" bastardize ALL Jewish tradition so that "Yeshua" can fit into their "Judaism." Lastly, I believe, and there is reason to suspect, that Messianic Congregations are conversionary tools used by Christians to draw Jews who don't know about their Torah...

cardero

Citizen Mod
jewscout said:
well first off what christians say is prophecy of the coming of jesus as a messianic figure in the "old testament" is not read the same way by jews, we don't see jesus in those verses.

the Jewish Messiah will be a human, earthly, king who will establish a torah society, reestablish the Temple and it's sacrifices, and make Israel and the Jewish people free from religious persecution, gathering them to Land of Israel

more about the Jesus question here:
http://www.jewfaq.org/moshiach.htm#Jesus

but really Jesus is just a non-issue when it comes to Judaism
he's just some Jewish guy who ticked off the Romans and got executed by the Roman government in charge of Judea at the time
for Jews that's about it when it comes to Jesus.

but then again i could be wrong...:rolleyes:
In the New Testament Jesus spoke that Moses wrote about Him. Are we missing a book because I do not remember Moses making any reference to Jesus.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
IMPO you can not combine the docterine of the Torah and the writings of Paul.
They are 2 seperate faiths for a reason and that's ok.