• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Jews not believe Jesus is God's son?Anybody Jewish want to answer?

gtrsgrls

I've often wondered why Jews do not believe that Jesus is God's son when they believe the old testament and the old testament fortells of his coming.A man came to my church the other day and he said that the reason is that when all the "christians" were persecuting people for not being christians,they did it in the name of Jesus.And since they did it in the name of Jesus the Jews don't want to believe in him.Is this true?

pdoel

Well, I'm not Jewish, so I can't answer exactly as you hope.

But, I would guess it's similar to why many Christians don't believe in the teachings of Joseph Smith, and the Mormon religion.

Yes, Jews do believe that Christ will come. They just don't believe that Jesus was that person.

Just think what you would say if someone were to come up to you today and tell you they were the second coming of Christ, in the flesh. You'd probably think they were insane. When it comes to matters of such a higher power, people are a bit skeptical.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Your Jesus impresses me as little more than a poorly contrived myth. Why on earth should I take anti-Judaic NT fabrications seriously?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
gtrsgrls said:
I've often wondered why Jews do not believe that Jesus is God's son when they believe the old testament and the old testament fortells of his coming.A man came to my church the other day and he said that the reason is that when all the "christians" were persecuting people for not being christians,they did it in the name of Jesus.And since they did it in the name of Jesus the Jews don't want to believe in him.Is this true?
well first off what christians say is prophecy of the coming of jesus as a messianic figure in the "old testament" is not read the same way by jews, we don't see jesus in those verses.

the Jewish Messiah will be a human, earthly, king who will establish a torah society, reestablish the Temple and it's sacrifices, and make Israel and the Jewish people free from religious persecution, gathering them to Land of Israel

more about the Jesus question here:
http://www.jewfaq.org/moshiach.htm#Jesus

but really Jesus is just a non-issue when it comes to Judaism
he's just some Jewish guy who ticked off the Romans and got executed by the Roman government in charge of Judea at the time
for Jews that's about it when it comes to Jesus.

but then again i could be wrong...:rolleyes:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Why should Jews believe as Christians Do?
They have their own belief system which has served them far longer than Christianity has served us.
If you want to convert Jews to Christianity be my guest, and the best of luck.
You will find few Christians and Jews convert to the others faith through persuasion.

Terry________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

pdoel

Deut. 10:19 said:
Your Jesus impresses me as little more than a poorly contrived myth. Why on earth should I take anti-Judaic NT fabrications seriously?
The same argument could be used against your God.

;)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
JS, is this how Orthodox Jews see the NT?

``Victor

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Victor said:
I would be inordinantly surprised if one Orthodox Jew in a a thousand has taken the time to read the NT. If they did, they would find, for the most part, some parts laughable (e.g., driving out the money changers), some parts disgusting (e.g., the blood libel), and none of it at all compelling.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Victor said:

``Victor
well, again, as with Jesus, the Christian Gospels and writings of Paul are a non-issue for judaism
but it is hard to look at Galatians 3 and not see a docterine opposed to the Torah

again,that's why they are 2 seperate religions

Quiddity

jewscout said:
well, again, as with Jesus, the Christian Gospels and writings of Paul are a non-issue for judaism
but it is hard to look at Galatians 3 and not see a docterine opposed to the Torah

again,that's why they are 2 seperate religions
Thanks JS, apparently this may come down to personal views.

``Victor

Deut 13:1

gtrsgrls said:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23224

Look for my replies. That's only 4 of the SMALL problems with mistraslations, which have little to do with Jesus.

And this is SOME OF THE REASONS why Jews don't believe in Jesus.

http://www.aish.com/jewishissues/jewishsociety/Why_Jews_Dont_Believe_In_Jesus.asp

I can also hit 3 passages that you believe talk about jesus that I didn't do in the first link if it helps you understand why Jesus is nothing but pure quasi-idolatry when it boils down to it. Most Jews who do go to Jesus are tricked, they are approached by Jews 4 Mr. J who don't call him Jesus, but Yeshua, they do semi-hebrew services, and they target Jews who don't know much about Judaism. It's nothing more then pathetic, they can't just come out and say what they believe.

Victor said:

``Victor
Most of us have never read it. My parents don't know that I've read it. The first time I read it was when I lost a game of cards with some friends. Most of it is so idiotic, the whole concept of a blanket forgiveness card doesn't set well with Judaism, nor does the whole human sacrifice crap that I see people babble on about. As this is the Judaism forum, I don't have much problem dissing the NT, but outside of this forum, I try to at least be respectful of it as I'm not much of an expert, and also due to the fact that outside of Christians, the Jews dont have much friends.

Quiddity

Binyamin said:
Most of us have never read it. My parents don't know that I've read it. The first time I read it was when I lost a game of cards with some friends. Most of it is so idiotic, the whole concept of a blanket forgiveness card doesn't set well with Judaism, nor does the whole human sacrifice crap that I see people babble on about. As this is the Judaism forum, I don't have much problem dissing the NT, but outside of this forum, I try to at least be respectful of it as I'm not much of an expert, and also due to the fact that outside of Christians, the Jews dont have much friends.
Sounds pretty anti to me. One more reason I'd rather ask JS instead of you.

~Victor

blueman

God's Warrior
Do you have any proof that these are fabrications? No you don't so your anecdotal statement is nothing more than your personal opinion and bias. :)

mr.guy

crapsack
blueman said:
Do you have any proof that these are fabrications? No you don't so your anecdotal statement is nothing more than your personal opinion and bias. :)
I agree. Deut would need proof that they aren't fabrications before he could attack said evidence correctly. Shame on you, deut.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
mr.guy said:
I agree. Deut would need proof that they aren't fabrications before he could attack said evidence correctly. Shame on you, deut.
Don't be silly. Shame, rather, on those who would seek to shift the burden of proof for the veracity of stories that are extraordinarily absurd. So, for example, anyone who speaks of driving money changers from the Temple almost certainly has no clue as to the size of the Temple, the legitimacy of that infrastructure, or the nature of the security within its walls. Much like Jack and the beanstalk, so ridiculous is the story that I have every right to presume it to be fiction until proven otherwise.

Victor said:
Sounds pretty anti to me. One more reason I'd rather ask JS instead of you.

~Victor
Okay, well if being pro-jewish makes me anti-Christian, I guess I can live with that. But as this thread is aimed at the Jewish answer, I thought I'd give it. ;)

And I have a lot more interaction with Christianity then most average observant Jews as I do attend a Christian affiliated college...

The fact is, the NT doesn't have seemingly contradictions, it just ignores Jewish law *NOT REINTERPRET* just ignores it, uses gross mistranslations, and distorts Judaism to make an absurd claim that the Moshiach will be G-d. Furthermore from the Othodox perspective, it's the Jewish people that save the world, not Christians with their idolatrous beliefs. Just to add to that it is the Jews who keep the Torah better then I can at this point in my life that keep the world from being destroyed. G-d promised that there would ALWAYS be bnai yisrael "Children of Israel" to keep the law of Moshe, and that is why these conversion threads will always fail, because G-d made a promise and I know He will not lie, or go against what He said.

So you can keep trying to wipe us out through "conversions to be saved", or as Hitler tried, or whatever other way you can think of, but again, this is the Orthodox standpoint, you will never succeed.

And this is not anti-Christianity, this is pro-Jewish post which may appear against Christianity, but then again, Judaism and Christianity have almost nothing in common. Now just because of this belief, doesn't mean we can't be amicable, the last Pope was a great example of the possible good that can come from Christians and Jews working together. A rabbi once asked me, "How do you know who you can trust in the world?"

His answer was, "If they have the fear of G-d in them." Something Christians do have, which is why I can and do socialize w/ them in my life. So yea, take this post for whatever you want, distort it if you must, but that's the Jewish standpoint...