• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do christians, jews and muslims argue with each other? The three religions is in reality very similar

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
The answer is so simple I did not even have to think.
They argue with each other because each of those religions believes that have the ONE TRUE RELIGION.

It does not MATTER that they believe in the same God because they do not know that.
Well, the Muslims know that but the Jews and Christians do not know that.

Not us Jews... we don't claim to be the "ONE TRUE RELIGION"
Traditionally, Jews believe that God chose the Jewish people to be in a unique covenant with God, described by the Torah itself, with particular obligations and responsibilities elucidated in the Oral Torah. Sometimes this choice is seen as charging the Jewish people with a specific mission – to be a light unto the nations, practice Tikkun olam and to exemplify the covenant with God as described in the Torah. This view, however, did not preclude a belief that God has a relationship with other peoples – rather, Judaism held that God had entered into a covenant with all humankind, and that Jews and non-Jews alike have a relationship with God, each nation with its own unique relationship with God.
Biblical references as well as rabbinic literature support this view...

Jewish views on religious pluralism - Wikipedia.​

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not us Jews... we don't claim to be the "ONE TRUE RELIGION"
If that is actually the case, then you would believe that the New Testament and the Qur'an are from God, which would make Christianity and Islam true religions.
Judaism held that God had entered into a covenant with all humankind, and that Jews and non-Jews alike have a relationship with God, each nation with its own unique relationship with God.
Biblical references as well as rabbinic literature support this view...​
Baha'is also believe that God had entered into a covenant with all humankind.
Baha’is believe that there is an everlasting covenant which remains in force today.

"The overall covenant God made with His followers in Judaism, known to Jews as the Mosaic Covenant, and to Christians as the Old Covenant, put forth the stipulation of the oneness of God – “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” (Exodus 20:2) – as the primary law of the Ten Commandments. In exchange for following those principles, God promised that he would never leave His followers without guidance:

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid … for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. – Deuteronomy 31:6.

This eternal covenant between God and humanity, the Baha’i teachings say, remains in force today. The Creator has bestowed bounties on us all, and in return asks us to recognize His prophets and messengers and abide by their laws and spiritual principles. The Baha’i teachings joyously celebrate that covenant:"

How to Understand the Baha’i Covenant

But here is the problem with Jews saying they do not claim to be the one true religion. Maybe you can correct me on this, but I heard it from more than one Jewish poster. I will have to paraphrase since I cannot remember exactly what they said, since it was a long time ago. They said that Jews believe that the messiah that will come is coming to redeem the Jews rather than coming for all of humanity. They said that after the messiah comes, the Jews will hold a special place in the world order, and certain Jews will be anointed so they will hold a higher station than anyone in the other religions. The rest of the people will be ordinary people but the Jews will be special people, since they believe they were originally the chosen ones of God, and when the messiah comes that position as the chosen ones will be restored.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
If that is actually the case, then you would believe that the New Testament and the Qur'an are from God, which would make Christianity and Islam true religions.

That's not very logical. Those are two religions. Denying those two doesn't deny them all. Anyway, I don't recall any Jews saying they're not true for others. They just aren't speaking to us.

I may be the only person on here who has accidentaly slipped into saying things like this. In the heat of a debate, it can happen. But I self-moderated and here's how I said it recently:

I am forbidden to participate in anything like that. But non-Jews do not have that same limitation.

So, the way I phrase it, it's not that the others are not true. I have a limitation which prohibits my participation. I'm not better, or holier, or anything like that. I just can't... ya know... like eating pork.

So, do Baha'i accept all religions as true? If not, then, one can't logically claim that Jews claim to be the ONE TRUE RELIGION by denying two of them.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Why do christians, jews and muslims argue with each other? The three religions is in reality very similar

Yes! The basic, undeniable fact of all three faiths is that they believe in one God. Whether this God is called Elohim, Abba or Allah, the object of that name is the same single, all powerful, all knowing and benevolent God of all creation.

All three faiths develop their own unique interpretations of the mystery of God in their sacred scriptures, but these are interpretations of the same God. In the Hebrew Bible, the Christian Testament and the Koran, the belief in a single Creator God who loves us and commands us and saves us from sin is revealed with different aspects and different tones, but the underlying belief is the same.

We call Judaism, Christianity and Islam the Abrahamic faiths because all trace their origins to Abraham, the first man called to a specific covenant by God. This God created the Universe, gives all life its sanctity, saves us from the ensnarements of sin, and will one day send (or in the case of Christianity, send back) a savior to heal the wounds of the world.

Muslims have 99 names for Allah, each expressing a different aspect of the infinite mystery that is God. In the Hebrew Bible, God is called by three main names: El Shaddai, Elohim and Adonai (literally YHWH but pronounced adonai).

These differences in the way the single Creator God is depicted are important -- but not so important as to lead to the conclusion that Christians, Jews and Muslims worship three separate gods; it is one God viewed from three mountaintops.

Abrahamic faiths all worship the same God

www.chicagotribune.com
They got their own religion wrong. Religion is to create and foster love. Once you forget that you are no longer a religion even if you call yourself one.

AE773F4A-5398-467A-8522-F1C1CDA00B4A.jpeg

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The way I see it (from very much the outside, despite having been raised as a nominal Catholic) they are very much dissimilar. They just happen to share some references and arguably some concepts. As it happens, very inconsequential concepts.

What truly defines all three creeds (not all of them are religions as I understand them) are their values, their attitudes towards their own members and their own practices and doctrines.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's not very logical. Those are two religions. Denying those two doesn't deny them all. Anyway, I don't recall any Jews saying they're not true for others. They just aren't speaking to us.
Previously you said: Not us Jews... we don't claim to be the "ONE TRUE RELIGION"
So, are you now saying that other religions besides Judaism might be true, just not Christianity or Islam?

A religion is either true or false. If it is true then it is a true religion. If it is false it is a false religion.
You can believe that others believe it is true but not agree with them that it is true, but then you are saying you do not believe it is true.
I may be the only person on here who has accidentaly slipped into saying things like this. In the heat of a debate, it can happen. But I self-moderated and here's how I said it recently:

I am forbidden to participate in anything like that. But non-Jews do not have that same limitation.

So, the way I phrase it, it's not that the others are not true. I have a limitation which prohibits my participation. I'm not better, or holier, or anything like that. I just can't... ya know... like eating pork.
:confused: I am lost. So, are you saying that you are prohibited from saying that the other religions are not true, yet you believe they are not true?
So, do Baha'i accept all religions as true? If not, then, one can't logically claim that Jews claim to be the ONE TRUE RELIGION by denying two of them.
Baha'is accept all religions that we believe were revealed by a Messenger of God as true religions. They were true religions when they were revealed but a lot of the truth has been lost over time becaue thye have been misinterpreted and corrupted over the course of time.

The issue is not that Jews are denying two religions, Christianity and Islam, the original question was whether you believe that Judaism is the one true religion, which would make all the other religions false religions in your eyes.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Previously you said: Not us Jews... we don't claim to be the "ONE TRUE RELIGION"
Yes!

So, are you now saying that other religions besides Judaism might be true, just not Christianity or Islam?

Could be. What's wrong with that?

A religion is either true or false. If it is true then it is a true religion. If it is false it is a false religion.
You can believe that others believe it is true but not agree with them that it is true, but then you are saying you do not believe it is true.

Again, this isn't fair. It's a double standard. Do you believe that Jesus died on he cross and rose again? Did his disciples see him and inspect his wounds? I've seen you post plenty of things introducing doubt into the gospels saying "how do you know Jesus said that?" The bottom line is, by your own standards, Christianity is not true because you do not beleive in one of its core tenets, the ressurection.

So, I can very easily say that Jesus is their savior, but not mine. And I can say Muhammad is their messenger, but not mine. And I can easily say that God is involved in both Christianity and Islam, while at the same time not agreeing with everything that is taught in both of those religions.

:confused: I am lost. So, are you saying that you are prohibited from saying that the other religions are not true, yet you believe they are not true?

There are many rules in Judaism. In general, I am prohibited from encouraging idol worship, and I am prohibited from participating in any other religion other than Judaism. So. In the quote I provided, that's supposed to show that I do not deny Christianity as true. I don't deny it's validity. I simply cannot participate, just like I cannot eat pork. It's as simple as that. As a Jew I have limitations.

Baha'is accept all religions that we believe were revealed by a Messenger of God as true religions. They were true religions when they were revealed but a lot of the truth has been lost over time becaue thye have been misinterpreted and corrupted over the course of time.

The issue is not that Jews are denying two religions, Christianity and Islam, the original question was whether you believe that Judaism is the one true religion, which would make all the other religions false religions in your eyes.

And I responded that Judaism does not assert itself as the one true religion. The wiki page has scripture and other references to confirm that. No Jewish RF'er that I'm aware of has ever denied that another religion is true. I'm the only one that I can think of who maybe implied it at times during a debate. I was wrong to do that, if it happened. I honestly don't remember, but, I can see myself making that kind of mistake. And hopefully, I've shown that I don't believe Judaism to be the one true religion and I am careful not to accidentally imply that it is.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Could be. What's wrong with that?
I didn't say anything was wrong with that. We all have our beliefs.
Again, this isn't fair. It's a double standard. Do you believe that Jesus died on he cross and rose again? Did his disciples see him and inspect his wounds? I've seen you post plenty of things introducing doubt into the gospels saying "how do you know Jesus said that?" The bottom line is, by your own standards, Christianity is not true because you do not believe in one of its core tenets, the resurrection.
Just because I do not believe in the resurrection that does not mean I do not believe in Jesus.
Not even all Christians believe in the bodily resurrection.

“Many liberal and some mainline Christian leaders believe that Jesus died during the crucifixion, did not resurrect himself, and was not bodily resurrected by God. At his death, his mind ceased to function and his body started the decomposition process. Returning to life a day and a half later would have been quite impossible. The story of having been wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh seems to have been copied from the story of the death of Osiris -- the Egyptian God of the earth, vegetation and grain. The legend that he visited the underworld between his death and resurrection was simply copied from common Pagan themes of surrounding cultures. One example again was Osiris. "With his original association to agriculture, his death and resurrection were seen as symbolic of the annual death and re-growth of the crops and the yearly flooding of the Nile." 1

They also believe that Paul regarded the resurrection to be an act of God in which Jesus was a passive recipient of God's power. Paul did not mention the empty tomb, the visit by a woman or women, the stone, the angel/angels/man/men at the tomb, and reunion of Jesus with his followers in his resuscitated body. Rather, he believed that Jesus was taken up into heaven in a spirit body. It was only later, from about 70 to 110 CE when the four canonic Gospels were written, that the Christians believed that Jesus rose from the grave in his original body, and by his own power.”

Religioustolerance.org
So, I can very easily say that Jesus is their savior, but not mine. And I can say Muhammad is their messenger, but not mine.
You can say that but I can't say that because I believe Jesus was a savior and Muhammad was a messenger, and I do not distinguish between mine and theirs.
And I can easily say that God is involved in both Christianity and Islam, while at the same time not agreeing with everything that is taught in both of those religions.
That is also my position.
There are many rules in Judaism. In general, I am prohibited from encouraging idol worship, and I am prohibited from participating in any other religion other than Judaism. So. In the quote I provided, that's supposed to show that I do not deny Christianity as true. I don't deny it's validity. I simply cannot participate, just like I cannot eat pork. It's as simple as that. As a Jew I have limitations.
Okay, thanks for explaining that. Baha'is are allowed to participate in other religion's activities but we are not allowed to join, so for example we cannot be a member of a church.
And I responded that Judaism does not assert itself as the one true religion. The wiki page has scripture and other references to confirm that. No Jewish RF'er that I'm aware of has ever denied that another religion is true. I'm the only one that I can think of who maybe implied it at times during a debate. I was wrong to do that, if it happened. I honestly don't remember, but, I can see myself making that kind of mistake. And hopefully, I've shown that I don't believe Judaism to be the one true religion and I am careful not to accidentally imply that it is.
I am not sure where I heard what I told you about Judaism. I think it was a long time ago, from one poster on here. There was another Jewish poster I posted to a lot on another forum, but she was very liberal, and was not even sure she believed in God. Oh, now I remember! I think it was on this other forum where there were some orthodox Jews who used to fight with Christians.

Of course some of what I ended up thinking about Judaism being the one true religion might have been how I interpreted what they said. :D

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Hmmmmm.... I love the challenge. Do you need to meet them in real life?
Yes, must be in real life, because I did meet quite a few who started to say yes, I mean that's what feels right, but after some additional questioning, they could not hide how they really thought about it

stvdv

That led me to this fellow. Ex-JW elite "Special Pioneer" turned methodist clergy: Robert Crompto

After that, I started looking for Christian missionaries who maybe converted to Hinduism. Hopefully that would convince you. A missionary is certainly my-way-or-the-highway. And then converting to Hinduism is a huge change. That led me to this fellow: Verrier Elwin - Wikipedia

So that's two examples, there *must* be more. At least 3 or 4 missionaries must have traveled to India and found themselves and changed their ways

Do you still disagree? Change isn't possible in this lifetime for those who are spiritually arrogant? Possible at least with God's help?
Well, I have not met them. Real life is a must to know for sure. People are too good in giving a good show, in which they look better than they really are

Spiritual arrogance is not easy to let go. I met extremely Spiritual arrogant people in India...those who are into advaita esp. can be unbelievable arrogant, as in "path of devotion is inferior when compared to path of Wisdom".

And I have seen plenty who were spiritual arrogant Christians who converted into other denominations or other religions, and their arrogance stayed. That's kind of "a thing" with arrogance ... you believe you are the best, and this is superimposed on whatever you do.

Hence, I rather meet them in real life, over a long period of time. Because, I have seen people "pretending" to be not arrogant, but when getting older suddenly the ugly 'serpent' raised its head again

I had a friend, who is like that. He tries to not act out on it, but the older he gets the less control, and the more the arrogance 'blossoms'. My father is also a perfect example of this, and my mother too.

stvdv

Not curable in this lifetime? Seems a bit hard to believe
I could not believe it myself either, when I first read this. I always thought that when I explain well, then they get it and change their behavior.

At least 8 examples in my own personal life. I forgave 2 of them like 7 times 7 times 7 times" (maybe the last times 2 or 3 is more accurate, but 3 * 7 looks nicer, I should maybe have waited another 10 years or so:)) over a period of 30 years.

Suddenly it dawned on me...from now on I forgive max. 1 time, and when I see sincere effort (incl. sorry, please forgive me, etc), I might forgive 7 times more. But without sincere sorry, and admit they are wrong, no need to forgive, just continue my way (w/o them)

The thing is, arrogant people usually have a dislike to say sorry, I discovered, hence not really feeling sorry (if I make a mistake, I can't sleep before correcting it, I feel horrible otherwise)

BUT

IF someone suddenly is enlightened
THEN arrogance will be gone

So, it is possible
But very rarely it happens
IME (in my experience)

Palehorse

Yes! The basic, undeniable fact of all three faiths is that they believe in one God. Whether this God is called Elohim, Abba or Allah, the object of that name is the same single, all powerful, all knowing and benevolent God of all creation.

All three faiths develop their own unique interpretations of the mystery of God in their sacred scriptures, but these are interpretations of the same God. In the Hebrew Bible, the Christian Testament and the Koran, the belief in a single Creator God who loves us and commands us and saves us from sin is revealed with different aspects and different tones, but the underlying belief is the same.

We call Judaism, Christianity and Islam the Abrahamic faiths because all trace their origins to Abraham, the first man called to a specific covenant by God. This God created the Universe, gives all life its sanctity, saves us from the ensnarements of sin, and will one day send (or in the case of Christianity, send back) a savior to heal the wounds of the world.

Muslims have 99 names for Allah, each expressing a different aspect of the infinite mystery that is God. In the Hebrew Bible, God is called by three main names: El Shaddai, Elohim and Adonai (literally YHWH but pronounced adonai).

These differences in the way the single Creator God is depicted are important -- but not so important as to lead to the conclusion that Christians, Jews and Muslims worship three separate gods; it is one God viewed from three mountaintops.

Abrahamic faiths all worship the same God

www.chicagotribune.com
They believe in the old testament...which was written before christ was arrested ...tortured and killed...