• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do Christians get involved and get upset by politics?

no-body

After all if "moral decay" is happening and society is about to collapse shouldn't they be happy? Revelation and all that. It seems like they are actively fighting against God by trying to "fix*" things. Why not let the bleeding heart liberal secular humanists take over and let them spread the evils of tolerance, love and peace so as to bring about the apocalypse faster?

If it is all a money/materialistic thing what about the teachings of not worshiping mammon?

*Or maybe they secretly know that conservatives in charge will destroy the world which is what all the anti environmental, anti gay, anti women, anti choice, etc stuff is really about

Awoon

Some people want a theocratic society in America.

Those same people should go to the Near and Middle East for five years and then come back after they have experienced living that way.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
*Or maybe they secretly know that conservatives in charge will destroy the world which is what all the anti environmental, anti gay, anti women, anti choice, etc stuff is really about

Nice strawman you got there. :yes:

I'm sorry, but your broad brush method of demonising anyone who thinks differently than yourself is no better than the people you rail against. :sorry1:

no-body

Nice strawman you got there. :yes:

I'm sorry, but your broad brush method of demonising anyone who thinks differently than yourself is no better than the people you rail against. :sorry1:

I admit I am targeting a particular type of Christian fundamentalist; particular those involved with Christian Dominionism. Though I have a tough time understanding why any Christian who believes in Revelation would be involved in politics.

I am aware of the mental disconnect with Christians who are fiscally conservative since that is only human and is more forgivable than those who want to cram their morals down our throat.

InChrist

Free4ever
I admit I am targeting a particular type of Christian fundamentalist; particular those involved with Christian Dominionism. Though I have a tough time understanding why any Christian who believes in Revelation would be involved in politics.

I am aware of the mental disconnect with Christians who are fiscally conservative since that is only human and is more forgivable than those who want to cram their morals down our throat.

I think you have answered your own question.... Dominionism. Some who call themselves Christians actually have their eyes and agenda fixed more on this earth and taking it over for Christ and have forgotten or ignore the biblical call to keep their eyes on things above and simply share the gospel message and be a light for Christ in the world.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
After all if "moral decay" is happening and society is about to collapse shouldn't they be happy? Revelation and all that. It seems like they are actively fighting against God by trying to "fix*" things. Why not let the bleeding heart liberal secular humanists take over and let them spread the evils of tolerance, love and peace so as to bring about the apocalypse faster?

If it is all a money/materialistic thing what about the teachings of not worshiping mammon?

I have often wondered the same thing. I try to keep as far away from politics as I can, but not just because of my faith.

(But I am NOT prepared to say that ANYONE is not a Christian just because they follow politics, that would be awfully presumptuous of me.):)

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why not?

THey have the same right to get involved in politics as anyone.

I do disagree with a lot of their points, but come on! I never read "you shall not be involved in politics" in the commandments.

no-body

I think you have answered your own question.... Dominionism. Some who call themselves Christians actually have their eyes and agenda fixed more on this earth and taking it over for Christ and have forgotten or ignore the biblical call to keep their eyes on things above and simply share the gospel message and be a light for Christ in the world.

What scriptural basis do they see in taking the world over for Christ? Revelation says that everything will fall to the anti-Christ for a while first doesn't it? Christian Dominionism is one of those things like the prosperity gospel where I read the wiki page or a definition and have no idea what it is talking about.

Why not?

THey have the same right to get involved in politics as anyone.

I do disagree with a lot of their points, but come on! I never read "you shall not be involved in politics" in the commandments.

Jesus said render to Ceasar what is Ceasars

And from Paul:

Titus 1 Remind your people to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good. 2 They must not speak evil of anyone, and they must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.

Of course I'm sure people will find a way to interpret what they want out of it like they do the rest of the bible.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

And from Paul:

Titus 1 Remind your people to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good. 2 They must not speak evil of anyone, and they must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.

Of course I'm sure people will find a way to interpret what they want out of it like they do the rest of the bible.

Here is one interpretation of many: I always took that to mean that we should pay the taxes of where we live and follow the laws of the land. I suppose we should vote, too. I always vote, but I don't always like the choices. But I am very critical of government right now.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Yeah, and in there he just gave a political view ;)

Yes, clearly he wasn´t very interested in politics, but politics govern a lot of factors in life, and if as a christian you want people to be well and have their needs served, then you might be interested in the powers that are able to do this.

I don´t liek a lot of christian postures, and I would hate them to become the norm, but I do like a lot of christian postures that I would love would be more involved with politics.

After all, politics is derived from "people" ultimately, and Jesus was very interested in "people".

So I just understand their interest.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

You would think Christians would have no problem with any political establishment with verses like these.

Walkntune

When i lived outside D.C.I was daily bombarded with left and right wing political propaganda. I am noticing more and more people looking to politics for answers and solutions to our worlds chaos.The Bible tells us not to turn to the right or to the left but to keep our foot from evil. Salvation cannot nor will not come through the law. It is solely dependant on God's grace.The laws only produce works which are efforts of the flesh but faith produces works which come from the spirit and brings fruit.This fruit produces life.The pharisees and Sadducees followed a system of law that was way more righteous and based on Godly principles yet found no salvation as salvation cannot come by the law.
They shunn you from preaching your truth and convictions and tell you to keep your own opinions and try try to lock you out of the schools and places of work yet they take every opportune time they can to preach there messages of laws and politics trying to force it down your throat with every media source possible.They lift up their politicians as Gods but there is only one who is worthy and deserving to be lifted up on high! That is our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ!
They tell you with the right hand how much they care about your schools and healthcare meanwhile with the left hand they are stripping our most helpless ,innocent victims of all( our unborn children) of all human rights and even that of the very right of life itself.They try to honor the truth with their lips but their hearts are far from it.What a slap in God's face as this is a right that only He has to give and take away. It kinda seems to me where the rubber meets the road.
They disguise all of there schemes and agendas behind nice humanatarian packages meanwhile having their own secret schemes and agendas truly at heart.
Personally I say keep your politics and your laws. I will choose to walk by faith, love and convictions.Does this mean I dismiss my responsiblilty as a citizen. Of course not. We are called to pray for our leaders not to be Godly or force the fruits of love(love is never coerced and the spirit is truly a gentlemen) into our system,but to make decisions of integrity and to make wise Godly decisions in our own choices of who we elect.
Meanwhile all of my support will go to a King and a kingdom that is not of this world and I will lift my King on high. I will be keeping my eyes on Him only the best I can and will not have my eyes looking at the White House but a heavenly kingdom as the end approaches near!
I will have no other god's before Him!

yourgraceisenough

When i lived outside D.C.I was daily bombarded with left and right wing political propaganda. I am noticing more and more people looking to politics for answers and solutions to our worlds chaos.The Bible tells us not to turn to the right or to the left but to keep our foot from evil. Salvation cannot nor will not come through the law. It is solely dependant on God's grace.The laws only produce works which are efforts of the flesh but faith produces works which come from the spirit and brings fruit.This fruit produces life.The pharisees and Sadducees followed a system of law that was way more righteous and based on Godly principles yet found no salvation as salvation cannot come by the law.
They shunn you from preaching your truth and convictions and tell you to keep your own opinions and try try to lock you out of the schools and places of work yet they take every opportune time they can to preach there messages of laws and politics trying to force it down your throat with every media source possible.They lift up their politicians as Gods but there is only one who is worthy and deserving to be lifted up on high! That is our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ!
They tell you with the right hand how much they care about your schools and healthcare meanwhile with the left hand they are stripping our most helpless ,innocent victims of all( our unborn children) of all human rights and even that of the very right of life itself.They try to honor the truth with their lips but their hearts are far from it.What a slap in God's face as this is a right that only He has to give and take away. It kinda seems to me where the rubber meets the road.
They disguise all of there schemes and agendas behind nice humanatarian packages meanwhile having their own secret schemes and agendas truly at heart.
Personally I say keep your politics and your laws. I will choose to walk by faith, love and convictions.Does this mean I dismiss my responsiblilty as a citizen. Of course not. We are called to pray for our leaders not to be Godly or force the fruits of love(love is never coerced and the spirit is truly a gentlemen) into our system,but to make decisions of integrity and to make wise Godly decisions in our own choices of who we elect.
Meanwhile all of my support will go to a King and a kingdom that is not of this world and I will lift my King on high. I will be keeping my eyes on Him only the best I can and will not have my eyes looking at the White House but a heavenly kingdom as the end approaches near!
I will have no other god's before Him!

wow great post...amen...

Only a few Christians are pretty non-involved in politics, such as those who are of the anabaptist tradition, and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Villager

If posters are going to refer to Christians, they need to know a lot about Christian theology, and be prepared to prove it. Unless they think it advisable to ask those who know that theology.