• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians believe that Jesus is God?

Genna

beckysoup61 said:
No they don't.

I am a Christian and I decided Jesus is a god through my own experiences and my own researching and not just because my mothers aunts step-sisters dog said so. :D

You really think Christians are stupid don't you?

Anywho, I'm out for today, need to do a couple of things -- I'll get back to this later.

I don't understand, perhaps you can fill me in? You said that Jesus is "a" god, does this mean that there is more than 1 God?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
ProfLogic said:
So who are you saying are the true Christians in this case? The ones who believe or not believe in the Nicene creed?
For obvious reasons, one need not accept the Nicene Creed to be a Christian. If that were a qualification, Jesus own Apostles would not be Christians. :rolleyes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:
I don't understand, perhaps you can fill me in? You said that Jesus is "a" god, does this mean that there is more than 1 God?
Please excuse the cut and paste from my prior post, but you may have missed the origianl. I haven't seen a better response to your question than this:

The word for the Christian deity, "God," is a collective noun, like "team." The dictionary lists "God" as a synonym for "Godhead," and regardless of whether they subscribe to the concept of the "Trinity" (which I do not), most Christians do recognize that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all part of what the scriptures refer to as a "Godhead." So, in the sense that God=Godhead, it is accurate to say there is one "God" (meaning one Godhead comprised of three divine beings). Also, the three members of the Godhead share the title of "God." So we can accurately refer to any of them as "God." Just as we often say to a newlywed couple, "Now you two are one," we can say of the members of the Godhead, "These three are one." The mistake is in automatically assuming that they are physically "one," because they're not and there is nowhere in the Bible where we are told that they are.

Genna

Katzpur said:
Please excuse the cut and paste from my prior post, but you may have missed the origianl. I haven't seen a better response to your question than this:

The word for the Christian deity, "God," is a collective noun, like "team." The dictionary lists "God" as a synonym for "Godhead," and regardless of whether they subscribe to the concept of the "Trinity" (which I do not), most Christians do recognize that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all part of what the scriptures refer to as a "Godhead." So, in the sense that God=Godhead, it is accurate to say there is one "God" (meaning one Godhead comprised of three divine beings). Also, the three members of the Godhead share the title of "God." So we can accurately refer to any of them as "God." Just as we often say to a newlywed couple, "Now you two are one," we can say of the members of the Godhead, "These three are one." The mistake is in automatically assuming that they are physically "one," because they're not and there is nowhere in the Bible where we are told that they are.

God is 3 beings? If each member can be called "God", than wouldn't that logically make 3 Gods? With the newlywed couple they are not literally "one person", they are 2 human beings! God is not a human being, God is God. Just as the newlywed couple are 2 human beings, your analogy would imply that there are 3 Gods since each is God just as each human being within the newlywed couple are a human being, 2 literal human beings, just as 3 literal Gods. So how is there one God? The Christians at my work tell me that God is ONE BEING in 3 eternal persons, not 3 BEINGS, so which is which?

writer

God is 3 beings?* No.
If each member can be called "God", than wouldn't that logically make 3 Gods? *No.
With the newlywed couple they are not literally "one person", they are 2 human beings!*With God in Christ as the Spirit in His believer: they're 2 in 1
God is not a human being, God is God. *God became a human being: Jesus

So how is there one God? * Father Son and Spirit coindwell One Another and are inseparable.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:
God is 3 beings?
Yup.

If each member can be called "God", than wouldn't that logically make 3 Gods?
Ontologically, yes. There are three distinct beings, each of whom is called "God." Collectively, they are also called "God."

With the newlywed couple they are not literally "one person", they are 2 human beings! God is not a human being, God is God. Just as the newlywed couple are 2 human beings, your analogy would imply that there are 3 Gods since each is God just as each human being within the newlywed couple are a human being, 2 literal human beings, just as 3 literal Gods.
Right.

So how is there one God? The Christians at my work tell me that God is ONE BEING in 3 eternal persons, not 3 BEINGS, so which is which?
Well, the Christians at your work don't understand God in the same way I do. I believe God is three beings who are "one" in will, purpose, power, and majesty." But then, I'm not an orthodox Christians; I'm a Latter-day Saint Christian (aka a "pseudo-Christian" in some circles :eek: ). Makes all the difference in the world.

You might as well realize right up front, Genna, that there is not a Trinitarian in the world who is going to be able to be able to address your questions about God in a logical way. You have pointed out the inconsistancies in the concept of a 3-in-1 God, and there simply isn't a way to get around them. The doctrine of the Trinity, as established by the Council at Nicaea in 325 A.D. does not accurately describe the nature of or the relationship between the three members of the Godhead. In my opinion, this is a doctrine devised by well-meaning but uninspired men who convened at the request of a pagan emperor with a political agenda. Not only does it not make sense, it apparently isn't even supposed to make sense. It's supposed to be "a mystery." :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
writer said:
God is 3 beings?* No.
If each member can be called "God", than wouldn't that logically make 3 Gods? *No.
With the newlywed couple they are not literally "one person", they are 2 human beings!*With God in Christ as the Spirit in His believer: they're 2 in 1
God is not a human being, God is God. *God became a human being: Jesus

So how is there one God? * Father Son and Spirit coindwell One Another and are inseparable.
Interesting, but not at all Biblical.

Genna

Katzpur said:
Yup.
Ontologically, yes. There are three distinct beings, each of whom is called "God." Collectively, they are also called "God."

OK, I asked this several times before. If there are 3 beings and "each" is called God, how many Gods does this make? 3 Gods! Both Islam and Christianity states that there is 1 God. Islam believes that God is strictly one person and none other, orthodox Christianity teaches that God is also One, i.e., One being in 3 eternal persons yet an absolute mystery. Then you teach that there is 3 beings in which "each" is called God making 3 Gods. In all honesty and I say this in the kindest way, your belief that "each" member is God seems contradictory to the belief that there is ONE (1) GOD!

kai

ragamuffin
this trinity thing has me confused too how long has this been around? and does this counter act the one god of the old testement, and on whos authority?

Super Universe

Defender of God
I know a man who is a father. He is also a son. And this man, I believe, has a soul.

It is indeed strange that these three things can fit in just one man.

I wonder how many can fit in God?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:
OK, I asked this several times before. If there are 3 beings and "each" is called God, how many Gods does this make? 3 Gods! Both Islam and Christianity states that there is 1 God. Islam believes that God is strictly one person and none other, orthodox Christianity teaches that God is also One, i.e., One being in 3 eternal persons yet an absolute mystery.
I don't disagree with you at all. There are three Gods, but their spiritual unity is so absolute and so perfect that they are said to be "one." It's the same kind of usage as you'll see describing the newlywed couple as "one flesh," a choir that performs so flawlessly that 300 singers are said to be singing in "one voice," etc.

Then you teach that there is 3 beings in which "each" is called God making 3 Gods. In all honesty and I say this in the kindest way, your belief that "each" member is God seems contradictory to the belief that there is ONE (1) GOD.
It's not contradictory if you remember than "God" is a synonym for "Godhead." Would it seem contradictory to you if I said there is one "Godhead"?

kai

ragamuffin
Super Universe said:
I know a man who is a father. He is also a son. And this man, I believe, has a soul.

It is indeed strange that these three things can fit in just one man.
that doesnt relate to god unless he has a father then he is also a son , it doesnt relate to jesus unless he has a son . and i dont see anything strange about it except the soul bit of course

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
kai said:
this trinity thing has me confused too how long has this been around? and does this counter act the one god of the old testement, and on whos authority?
It's been around since 325 A.D. Don't think for one minute that Jesus' closest personal associates believed that somehow He was His own Father and His own Son, or that they believed He was there with them on Earth but somehow in Heaven, too.

kai

ragamuffin
no wonder jews and muslims dont agree with christianity this is a fundamental move away from the worship no other god than me thing

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
kai said:
Has this word godhead been invented to explain the trinity?
The word "Godhead" is found in the Bible. The word "Trinity" is not. If I weren't falling asleep as I'm typing, I might try to give you some background as to how the doctrine of the Trinity evolved. May tomorrow, if I happen to think about it.

kai

ragamuffin
Katzpur said:
The word "Godhead" is found in the Bible. The word "Trinity" is not. If I weren't falling asleep as I'm typing, I might try to give you some background as to how the doctrine of the Trinity evolved. May tomorrow, if I happen to think about it.
please do Katspur

Bishka

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
Exactly what RESEARCH have you done to prove to yourself that Jesus is God and not just another messanger like Buddah, Abraham, Moses, Muhammed, or countless others? Muslims believe in the virgin birth (unlike myself) and still believe Jesus to be just a prophet, sent to bring the word of God (Allah) to a differant group of people just as Abraham and Moses brought it to the Hebrews nad Muhmmed to the Arabs.
Why does it matter to you? I could talk all day and you still would shake your head.

I've done my research and I don't have to prove it to anyone but myself.:areyoucra

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Genna said:
Both Islam and Christianity states that there is 1 God.
Yes. The Bible tells us there is one God who spoke everything into existance. Being God, He can do anything.
Genna said:
... orthodox Christianity teaches that God is also One, i.e., One being in 3 eternal persons yet an absolute mystery.
It's not just the Orthodox that teaches this, but yes.... looks like you summed up the concept of the trinity pretty well :)
Genna said:
Then you teach that there is 3 beings in which "each" is called God making 3 Gods. In all honesty and I say this in the kindest way, your belief that "each" member is God seems contradictory to the belief that there is ONE (1) GOD!
Absolutely this is contradictory to the Biblical teaching of there only being one God!
But as you can see, there are some people who don't seem to think the Bible got it right ;)

may

PetShopBoy88 said:
Exactly. And consider this: In John 17:21, Christ asks that his followers can be one, EVEN AS HE AND HIS FATHER ARE ONE. Did Christ want us all to become one flesh? I don't think so. But if he wants us unified LIKE him and his father are unified, then he and his father cannot be one flesh.
yes unity of purpose works wonders.
"I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word; 21 in order that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, in order that the world may believe that you sent me forth. 22 Also, I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one. 23 I in union with them and you in union with me, in order that they may be perfected into one, that the world may have the knowledge that you sent me forth and that you loved them just as you loved me. JOHN 17;20-23 ........... I like using a translation of the bible that harmonizes throughout and then we can gain an accurrate understanding of what the bible really teaches us about Jesus and his father Jehovah, so you are right on the ball with ( unity) that is quite right. i like using this online bible New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures