• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did you chose your religion?

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Help me heal my ignorance! What does "shramanic" mean? :)

The term śramaṇa (or samaṇa in Pali) refers to renunciates, those who have intentionally renounced worldly pleasures in pursuit of a higher happiness. The Buddha remarked, "If by renouncing a lesser happiness one may realize a greater happiness, let the wise man renounce the lesser, having regard for the greater" (Dhammapada: Pakinnakavagga 290).

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I choose my religious beliefs in every new moment going forward. I hold no belief so strong that it can't change when it seems appropriate. Essentially, I have crafted my religion from the ground up for me and by me. This way it always makes sense to me and I can modify it at will. Given that this is my process, it seems silly to choose anything else.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I choose my religious beliefs in every new moment going forward. I hold no belief so strong that it can't change when it seems appropriate. Essentially, I have crafted my religion from the ground up for me and by me. This way it always makes sense to me and I can modify it at will. Given that this is my process, it seems silly to choose anything else.

This makes way too much sense. But regardless, I have a mental image of you becoming a rastafarian next time you're drunk.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

That's a good way to go about it. That's similar to my approach to Satanism. It's so nice to not have any dogma and just go where the road may take me. I welcome new insights.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I know the feeling. My beliefnet results change every time I take that quiz!

crossfire

Premium Member
Help me heal my ignorance! What does "shramanic" mean? :)
Wiki article:

Shramana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First sentence:
The Pāli samaṇa and the Sanskrit Śramaṇa refer to renunciate ascetic traditions from the middle of the 1st millennium BCE.[3] They were individual, experiential and free-form traditions, independent of society; and in religious competition with Brahmin priests, who as opposed to Shramanas, stressed mastery of texts and performing rituals.​

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
I chose my religion through a long process of investigating and practicing various religions and philosophies; verifying various subjective experiences of connecting to a different kind of consciousness; reading; studying and learning a large volume of knowledge, specifically religious texts; religious history; and history in general.
It is the study of history and historical paradigms that led me to understand that Jews and Judaism are a-historical. There is no other historical paradigm that compares with Judaism. There is no historical parallel that compares with the Jews.
Jews; Judaism; G-d and His Torah are outside of the norms of history.
Statistically speaking, Jews do not even exist on planet Earth. .02% of humanity is even vaguely Jewish. .004% of humanity actually practices the religion of Judaism.
Think about it.
Devarim (Deuteronomy)33:29 -
"Happy art thou, O Israel, who is like unto thee? A people saved by the Lord..."

Muffled

Jesus in me
So if I asked people why they like their foods they like I know I will most likely get irrationaly answers and will have to just accept it but I wonder if religion is similar to this?

Has anyone read snow crash? (Old book and fiction I proc but curious)

To me religion seems like something other people chose for you and you want to explain why that is not so and how you chose your religion which is like me arguing that I chose to be most fluent in english. (Sad as that might be)

I believe of course everyone is introduced to a religion or more than one but a person still chooses what to believe. I had a teacher who taught original sin but I chose to beleive at the time that children were innocent. Now I believe in re-incarnation and that a spirit with evil tendencies will become a child with evil tendencies. Inow believe that Adam and Eve did not create evil but allowed evil to return by having children. I also believe that Adam and Eve may have been ignorant of many evils but still had the capacity to perform evil as the story shows they did.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I grew up believing in Christianity from the limited Sunday School classes I had. I made a public profession of faith in 1987 after watching the movie, "A Thief in the Night." I didn't want to be "left behind" when the rapture came. Recently, I haven't been able to answer questions that I had, so I started searching. I am still searching, but am starting to narrow down what I believe.

I believe anyone can believe anything but I beleive in having reasonable grounds for my beliefs.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Skepticism and Cynicism are very different things; one usually is honest when being a skeptic, one seldom is honest when being a cynic (unless of course one admits that they are biased, which is even more seldom for cynics)

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Skepticism and Cynicism are very different things; one usually is honest when being a skeptic, one seldom is honest when being a cynic (unless of course one admits that they are biased, which is even more seldom for cynics)
Gotta frubal you for that! :yes:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I chose my religion because I'm the master of my religion. It's
a part of me now, it goes through all my ups and downs with me,
it's like an imaginary friend for grown ups. :dracula: