• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did you choose to be a Wiccan?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone! I was just wondering, why did you all choose to be a Wiccan? Please share with me your reason for becoming Wiccan or tell me the story of how you became Wiccan. Please also share with me what you feel are the benefits of being Wiccan.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I didn't choose Wicca. It chose me. Once it did, it just made sense. There are many benefits that I see. I am different than many though. I don't ask what a faith can offer me. I ask what I can do for my Deities. Wicca allows me a very personal and involved method of worship. Magick is, of course, a really nice side benefit though.

I don't really think I decided to be wiccan, it just came to be a part of me.
After being being blugoned with a bible by my mother, Then being forced to eat fish on friday every friday more often than not making me sick.
I remember standing in line for half an hour for just a cheese burger, when I got up there I was told they only had fish sandwices left. I lost it and punched a locker door, one cheese burger and i might have been fine to handle the rest of the crap that comes with middle school.
I got expelled and all my mom cared about was that I wanted a cheese burger , some how a sin to her.
I lost any belife in catholicisim after that, found my way to satanisim for a while. after some time with that i found wicca, and that seems to have just stuck with me.

DuckTape

I agree with the previous posters here that you don't really choose to be a Wiccan, it's sort of an inborn connection and curiosity that draws you to it. Worship of nature was the first religion. I think that we are all able to become attuned to its ebbs and flows.

Oberon

I'm not sure if I should answer this, as I haven't been wiccan for some time, but as I can provide my reasons I suppose it can't hurt to do so.

I initially decided wicca was the religion for me as a teenager (more years ago than I care to remember), mainly because of things I had heard about it (it was the oldest religion, the magic, etc) and because I was reacting against my catholic upbringing. In my experience, these initial reasons are not uncommon, but those who accept wicca because of them either give it up when they grow up or adopt a more serious stance and take the time to learn and develop spiritually in accordance with wiccan beliefs and practices. I went with the latter, and took the time to learn and explore wiccan history and various philosphies it grew from, borrowed from, and offered.

Malaki4

well....... I myself was Christian. i felt lost and felt lied to all the time. the consistency of every church having one day a week Christians bothered me. so i took a break and tried to find myself. then i got into a convo with a religion major and studied different religions. Wiccan appealed to me. now im much happier with the decision and i live a better life.

Hey everyone! I was just wondering, why did you all choose to be a Wiccan? Please share with me your reason for becoming Wiccan or tell me the story of how you became Wiccan. Please also share with me what you feel are the benefits of being Wiccan.

Many people today understand "Wicca" narrowly, to refer to the religion Gardner started. However, when I became interested, this had not yet become a major issue, and I continue to think of it the way I did then: religious witchcraft in general. Since the flavor I was exposed to was that in Cunningham's Wicca, I don't think that in my case this does an unacceptable amount of violence to the more rigorous conception! :)

I was drawn to Wicca because I was drawn to the Goddess. I was a Christian at the time, and I had what you might call a "living faith"; but it had occurred to me that the divine, being metarational, could not be contained by any merely rational box (i.e., "What's in a name?"). I felt honor-bound to determine for myself whether people espousing faith in other deities were in fact in communion with the same god I was -- because, if they were, then rejecting their fellowship for reasons that were merely cosmetic was a travesty of the first order.

One night, I simply reached out and I sensed Her. That was the beginning.

I have probably drifted from what most people would consider Wicca today; but the basic principles espoused by Cunningham are still my own. Do you know what I find amazing? I was a Christian from the time I was ten until I was in my mid-30's, and I knew the reality of the Christian god, Jesus, etc. These things were not merely theory to me, but facts of life. I had experienced this reality in dramatic ways. But I love the Goddess more deeply and profoundly today than I ever loved the Christian deities. She is so incredibly awesome! :)

Last edited:

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Choosing to become wiccan would be like choosing to fall in love. You don't get the choice consciously, one day you just kinda wake up and realize that you are wiccan or you don't.

When I woke up it was a wonderful time in my life, I came to the realization that it is our perceptions that determine our reality, and I started to change my perceptions of things, I started looking at things as a series of connections to other things, then I learned to modify those connections. I went from a tween who was bored with the world to a teen that was learning just how wonderful the world could be.