• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did People Once Think Sex Was Evil?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why did so many people used to think some time ago that sex was bad or evil?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
My beliefs do not say that sex is bad or evil. Some people stay away for spiritual advancement eg. Priests and in Hinduism celibates are called Brahmacharis. However, if sex is done out of love, you can have a spiritual connection with your partner and then it is beautiful expression of love. Damn, now you have me thinking about my guy. :p

A

angellous_evangellous

The only groups that I know of that think sex is evil have a fairly rancid hatred for all things human.

Not many groups think that all sex is evil. After all, we need at least procreational sex to survive, and few groups are stupid enough not to recognize and celebrate this.

BFD_Zayl

I never heard it being called evil...me need english lessons now...but hey I only got two hours of sleep so I got an excuse for improper grammer. anyways....ooo look a birdy

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The only groups that I know of that think sex is evil have a fairly rancid hatred for all things human.

Lol! Yes! Which is why they chose the one thing they knew humans would never stop doing as their favorite format for self righteousness.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
...ooo look a birdy

Now all we need are bees
icon14.gif

mingmty

Scientist
Because it's related to the body, the earth and the flesh. Christians (at least early ones) believe that the soul is more important than the body, in fact seems like for them the body is not only an obstacle to purify the soul but in many ways the source of temptation and sin. Isn't a big surprise that the "devil" is represented by a goat, a symbol that used to mean fertility before Christianity, you can see many different symbolic representations of the flesh (or sex) as the root of evil in christian mythology.

Anyway, I don't think we should blame Christians for the "sex is evil" mess, I say we blame Plato for he was the one that had the *great* idea of separating flesh and soul. I don't know about you but for me that sounds ridiculous, both are exactly the same thing.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Because it's related to the body, the earth and the flesh. Christians (at least early ones) believe that the soul is more important than the body...

Hindus also believe that the soul is more important than the body. :yes: After all, when we die we cannot carry the body with us. It came from the earth and will remain with the earth. It is only shaped for us for a short time. It isn't really ours. Sex can be wrong when it is done in abusive cases eg. rape. In other cases it can be an expression of love. Sex doesn't have to be in the body consciousness alone. If it is done out of love, one's heart chakra is active, this allows for a spiritual connection with one's partner. :)

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason

Who thought this? What leads you to think that they thought sex is evil?

As far as I know, the views were that non-procreational sex is evil, or that any sex outside of marriage is evil, but almost never sex as such.

Perhaps you are thinking of the influence of Paul? He recommended chastity, though never condemned anyone for procreating in marriage, as far as I remember.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Aeiralo

ooh, this reminds of the mother in Stephen King's 'Carrie'

But anyway, how could Christians (the old ones) think that creating new life is evil? (supposedly)

Interesting.
Heh, I'm rambling, sorry.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

I think it comes from a misunderstanding of the story in Genesis. People took the original sin to be Adam and Eve having sex rather than literally eating an apple.

Also, parents have historically had a vested interest in their own children not having sex before the proper time whether it was because their child was valuable as a virgin for an arranged marriage or family honor or a number of other reasons so they might have played up the incorrect interpretation of the bible.

Personally I think this is unfortunate, I think sex and procreation is the closest thing to godly power that we have on this earth. It is a great thing not an evil or bad thing.