• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can practical people not handle real debate?

Gloone

I try to debate people about different religions and it seems to me as if no one really cares what anyone else has to say because they are already stuck on a certain train of thought. In case you don't know what a train of thought is let me provide a definition. It is where someone is so stuck in their ways they cannot possibly think outside the freaking box. Have over known anyone like that?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Most theist religions are like that. Most people don't like change, i don't like change. But if someone wants to mock my beliefs and make me change then good luck to them :)

Gloone

Most theist religions are like that. Most people don't like change, i don't like change. But if someone wants to mock my beliefs and make me change then good luck to them :)
If it wasn't for change most of the religions that are around today wouldn't exist.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
If it wasn't for change most of the religions that are around today wouldn't exist.

The same backward religions that celebrated their existance by slaughtering pagans? The same religions which brainwash their believers to be useless sheep that condemn entire groups of people such as homosexuals for what they do behind closed doors?

Change within religions is slow. Slow enough to halt the progress of the human race. The rest of us are forced to watch them attack everything that doesn't fit into their book of narrow world views.

What does this have to do with the LHP?

Gloone

The same backward religions that celebrated their existance by slaughtering pagans? The same religions which brainwash their believers to be useless sheep that condemn entire groups of people such as homosexuals for what they do behind closed doors?

Change within religions is slow. Slow enough to halt the progress of the human race. The rest of us are forced to watch them attack everything that doesn't fit into their book of narrow world views.

What does this have to do with the LHP?
Just some food for thought I guess. I mean if the LHP isn't really that serious of a path I could always take it somewhere else. ;)

Gloone

change in religion shouldn't take 1000s of years. It should be a quick and easy process. People that can't adapt should just get left behind.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I'm not that set in my ways.
All you have to do is empirically and/or scientifically show me that I am wrong and I will change my mind.

That's all. ;)

PS: It has happened before. Just so you know it's not an impossible task.

The Neo Nerd

Pot+Kettle+Black.jpg

If anyone would like me to explain, please ask.

Hagbard

To quote the immortal Dr. Timothy Leary, "You are only as old as the last time you changed your mind."
I think that I prefer live, changing mind to set, solidified mind any day.

Mr. Cage

To quote the immortal Dr. Timothy Leary, "You are only as old as the last time you changed your mind."
I think that I prefer live, changing mind to set, solidified mind any day.

Interesting concept. Can you elaborate on your second sentance? Thank you.

gnomon

Nothing wrong with a train that's on the right track.

Unless it hit's a box.

Full of kittens.

Why is this thread in the LHP forum!

Hagbard

Sure...in my opinion, or rather my personal preferance would be a mind that remains open to radical change and a mind that maintains the ability to make radical changes in views, outlook, belief, practice etc. In my personal life I have found myself time and time again slipping into some static state of mind, usually reflected as a particular religion or philosophy and have then had to shake my mind free of that cast and mold. The shaking free has always proven to be difficult, invigorating, and exciting. In a certain sense I think this could serve as a key element of a certain type of immortality...or at least longevity of the mind. On a whole other plane it just makes life more fun and interesting.

gnomon

Apologies if my comments were posted in the wrong section.

You need not apologize.

There is never a need to apologize for posting in a DIR thread when the OP has nothing to do with the DIR.

The thread will be moved or locked. Or most likely just ignored.

DIR threads are for discussing individual religions. Not for members of that religion retreating to them to talk about issues unrelated to their religion or random postings as I've noticed this one and another just recently.

Which just opens the door to wild fun!!!! Someone left the door open! Let's post some cheese.

Tol

Tol
Sure...in my opinion, or rather my personal preferance would be a mind that remains open to radical change and a mind that maintains the ability to make radical changes in views, outlook, belief, practice etc. In my personal life I have found myself time and time again slipping into some static state of mind, usually reflected as a particular religion or philosophy and have then had to shake my mind free of that cast and mold. The shaking free has always proven to be difficult, invigorating, and exciting. In a certain sense I think this could serve as a key element of a certain type of immortality...or at least longevity of the mind. On a whole other plane it just makes life more fun and interesting.

[...]

Apologies if my comments were posted in the wrong section.

Actually what you expressed was quite in order with LHP thought. :)

The whole "what is this doing here" bit is something of a ongoing, inside joke, separate from your comment.

Mr. Cage

You have a very anchored system. You're Agnostic?

This mind set is commonly sought after by those who tread the LHP. Im very impressed by your discipline and hope you learn to attune this in accordance to your Will.