• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you Hindu?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. Flexible rules of worship (This God, that God, that Goddess, all Gods and Goddesses in the pantheon. Twice a day, once a week, once a month, once a year)
2. Vast options of philosophy to follow. (Accepts even atheism. Important in my case)
3. Demands nothing more than humane action. ('dharma')

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
1.Krishna
2.Shiva
3.It makes sense.
4.It addresses things from various aspects(mythological, mystical, scientific), allowing the follower ways to relate the the information that resonates with them.
5.The teachings are practical.
6.The scriptures are beautiful.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly I think mostly because I’m a born and raised Hindu.
But I do appreciate the freedom and flexibility it offers. I can choose my own path to follow and which philosophy appeals to me, with the added bonus of not really needing to find my own group. I can just go to my mums temple and all is good.
Plus the food is amazing, especially around festival times lol

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Give your three (or more) top reasons. I'm curious.

1. There is something for every kind of person (Yoga, Tantra, Vedānta, Śaivism, Śāktism, etc.).
2. The beauty of dharma.
3. The concepts of karma and saṃsāra make sense of life, the world, and everything.
4. Pluralism and religious tolerance.
5. The idea of liberation from transmigration instead of the idea of a bodily resurrection in a renewed material world.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
  1. It's in line, or rather, describes and supports what I've believed about reality for a very long time. Even what theoretical physicists are saying nowadays about reality is in line with Hindu thought.
  2. It encourages free thinking, inquiry, questioning.
  3. It gives me comfort. Gandhi was right in saying that when he was in despair or depressed he turned to the Gita and found a verse here or there to comfort him and give him hope. I cannot say with any honesty I felt that way as a Christian.
  4. Bonus: the gods are cool as hell. :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Hinduism has a philosophy that aligns perfectly with my worldview.

2. Hinduism does not teach intolerance of the religious views of others.

3. Hinduism doesn't claim to be the One True Religion™. There appears to be an understanding that although there is one destination, there are many paths that lead there.