• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Incels such hateful people ?

We Never Know

No Slack
Nope.

I just believe ultimately we are but specks in the natural order of things. Not that everything is meaningless or that nothing matters.

It helps keep things in perspective.
We are specks on earth. The earth is a speck in the galaxy. Etc etc.
If there are multi-universes, our universe may just be a speck among them.

One of my favorite videos that puts things into perspective.

Massimo2002

Depends on the impact, often enough i can impact friends and neighbors, even the local village. It's important locally but unimportant on a larger scale.

You, for example, could say "good morning" to a passing hobo, is it unimportant? Not to the hobo, it'll probably make his/her day.

We can't all be astronauts, presidents etc, as i said earlier you are one of over 8 billion people. But remember, among those people,you are unique
What you said actually makes sense but for me I personally want to impact the world outside of Edmonton that's how great I want my impact to be.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What you said actually makes sense but for me I personally want to impact the world outside of Edmonton that's how great I want my impact to be.

Ah ha, then you want to be doing something extraordinary clever or extraordinary stupid while the press are there to watch.

What are you good at or could learn to be good at that would earn you such a prize?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That doesn't sound like a good thing because unimportant to me sounds like being useless and every human should want to make some sort of higher impact upon this world or on other humans or both.

Globally, or on any sort of macro scale, I'm unimportant.
Most people are.

However, within my life and my area, I make an impact. My family (both blood relations and my nearest and dearest friends) would see me as a positive impact in their lives.
I manage a team at work and whilst I'm sure I drive them crazy at times, overall they seem to see me as positive.
I'm an active participant in my local community, particularly with youth coaching in basketball, and I believe most parents would say I'm a very positive influence on their kids.

I'm far from useless, and I have impact, but I barely believe in ANY of us being actually 'important' in any objective sense. I'm honestly unsure how people who believe that are able to filter out the world enough to be functional, and am generally mildly suspicious of the claim.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a good point. The online culture has ostensibly affected dating and social life in many different ways. Or even just the spread of cellphones.

I saw a picture of people sitting around a bar, but no one was talking to each other. Everyone was glued to their phones
Maybe that's where the term 'incel' comes from: people living inside their cell phones (actually I know that's not what it means).

It's kind of sad to think about: you don't see people interacting in the world as much anymore because everybody's carrying their own private world around with them in the palm of their hand.

And a lot of the interactions that are still happening are in the form of confrontations because nobody's looking where they're going and everybody's invading everybody else's space by talking too loud on their phone.

I wonder if we're programming ourselves to see all the other people out in public as obstacles, annoyances, or potential threats.

Massimo2002

Maybe that's where the term 'incel' comes from: people living inside their cell phones (actually I know that's not what it means).

It's kind of sad to think about: you don't see people interacting in the world as much anymore because everybody's carrying their own private world around with them in the palm of their hand.

And a lot of the interactions that are still happening are in the form of confrontations because nobody's looking where they're going and everybody's invading everybody else's space by talking too loud on their phone.

I wonder if we're programming ourselves to see all the other people out in public as obstacles, annoyances, or potential threats.
People are naturally paranoid especially around lots of strangers.

Massimo2002

Globally, or on any sort of macro scale, I'm unimportant.
Most people are.

However, within my life and my area, I make an impact. My family (both blood relations and my nearest and dearest friends) would see me as a positive impact in their lives.
I manage a team at work and whilst I'm sure I drive them crazy at times, overall they seem to see me as positive.
I'm an active participant in my local community, particularly with youth coaching in basketball, and I believe most parents would say I'm a very positive influence on their kids.

I'm far from useless, and I have impact, but I barely believe in ANY of us being actually 'important' in any objective sense. I'm honestly unsure how people who believe that are able to filter out the world enough to be functional, and am generally mildly suspicious of the claim.
I disagree with your last statement about objectivity it's the other way around people who believe that there is not any truth and that everything is subjective would have a hard time functioning in the world because subjectivity breeds confusion and probably mental illness.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It seems that people find something more interesting on their phones than what may be going on around them. They may not see other people as annoyances, but they just may be boring or not entertaining enough. But if you were entertaining enough, then everyone around you would have their phones focused on you and uploading it to their social media. Some people may just be out scoping for material to record and upload.

Massimo2002

It seems that people find something more interesting on their phones than what may be going on around them. They may not see other people as annoyances, but they just may be boring or not entertaining enough. But if you were entertaining enough, then everyone around you would have their phones focused on you and uploading it to their social media. Some people may just be out scoping for material to record and upload.
Perhaps real life outside of the smartphone is boring and mundane.