• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Hindus fanatical?

A-ManESL

It is grinding poverty that is the real cause of human suffering in our world.

It isnt poverty in my view though. The real cause of human suffering is because people turn away from their innate urge of love towards fellow human beings and start loving themselves instead.

My question to you is who are the real violent people. Every year a few 100 people die in skirmishes between religious groups in India while millions and millions die because the rich ( I define the rich as the top 20% of humanity who makes over $10.00 a day) use up all the resources of the world. Today I just took my son out to eat and spent $30.00 on a meal. This would have feed over 100 people in many places in the world. If every person on the globe lived like an American it would take 4 earths to provide all the resources to support that life style. It is real easy to judge others in our warm homes and full stomachs. It is grinding poverty that is the real cause of human suffering in our world.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.;) Don't buy too much for yourself (or for your son), buy everything for the poor, live a simple life. That's all you, as an individual, can do. Of course, educate people on the 'evil' of private ownership every time you get the chance.

Satsangi

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.;) Don't buy too much for yourself (or for your son), buy everything for the poor, live a simple life. That's all you, as an individual, can do. Of course, educate people on the 'evil' of private ownership every time you get the chance.

Gandhiji,

You should start fasting against that "fanaticism" in Hinduism.

Regards,

ConfusedKuri

There are fanatics everywhere Gandhiji, regardless of religion or nationality. What some of those Hindus did was nothing that was approved of by Hinduism itself. :) It were leaders who wanted their share of power and influence imho.

Milind2469

Being peaceful, loving, God fearing, is not always a good virtue. A community which has full of such people is most likely to go the TIBET way. We don't want it. It is not a balanced approach politically.

That is the beauty of Hinduism. While it is the duty of Brahmins to pray to God and ask for peace and prosperity to all, it is the duty of the Kshtriyas to instill fear in the mind of the enemies. Often they do it with clenched fists rather than with folded hands.

Hindu Gods approve of Dharmayudh if done for the rightful cause.

Question is, should a cunning, scheming ( * please see below) evangelist who is doing a devine duty for his religion, who is nevertheless a threat to Hinduism, be regarded as an enemy?

If this is left to individuals, two opinions will be formed.

Just like it has happened now.

But one group should not consider the other as wrong, it is just a different approach.

============================================================================
* cunning and scheming is how they are viewed in India.

Last edited:
Being peaceful, loving, God fearing, is not always a good virtue. A community which has full of such people is most likely to go the TIBET way. We don't want it. It is not a balanced approach politically.

That is the beauty of Hinduism. While it is the duty of Brahmins to pray to God and ask for peace and prosperity to all, it is the duty of the Kshtriyas to instill fear in the mind of the enemies. Often they do it with clenched fists rather than with folded hands.

Hindu Gods approve of Dharmayudh if done for the rightful cause.

Just one question out of curiosity. Doesn't this only apply to people who're in positions of power? What of ordinary folks? How are they to 'use' violence creatively, or will the need even arise for such a thing? I am not arguing, just trying to understand.

sentry

New member, first post.
and what a way to start, with a most ridiculous question - "why are hindus violent"
laughable.

Hindus, alas, have recently been discovered to be Human beings -- with all the weaknesses and social pathology that entails.
Humans, as a rule, do not react well to changes and new ideas that threaten their lifestyles, traditions or world-view.

yes, hindus don't react too well to change
silly hindus for resisting change
I mean, the options are pretty reasonable -
change your god or change your residence or die

I believe that Hinduism is universalism
hinduism is all about universalism

so therefore hindus should adopt without any fuss, allah and jesus as their new gods
and many do so. If you go ask a random hindu, do you think allah is god? he/she will reply - yes, allah is a name of god.
And about christ, even more hindus consider christ as divine.

But the problem is that not only are hindus required to accept allah or jesus as their new gods, but they are forbidden to worship their own hindu gods
now if they did that, that would go against the principle of universalism, right?
50319363.jpg
50319363.jpg

what's the reason for this new breed of Hindus, Hindus who are violent, vulgar, and know little about their religion?
you think hindus are violent?

I actually think that hindus are too soft, too weak, and are unable to stand up for themselves.
hopefully someday, the numbness (from the savage attacks by islam and christianity) will wear off, and islam and christianity will feel the true warrior spirit of the kshatriya.
Then you will know the true meaning of violence.

Last edited:

nameless

The Creator
I actually think that hindus are too soft, too weak, and are unable to stand up for themselves.

the nation's super hero is Mahatma Ji, dont expect anything less. The way to react to any sort of crime is satyagraha :facepalm:

Last edited:

Milind2469

the nation's super hero is Mahatma Ji, dont expect anything less. The way to react to any sort of crime is satyagraha :facepalm:

"Satyagraha" means sticking to the truth, literally.
It is only useful when both the parties have the same truth.

When it comes to religion, Hindus are ready to stick to truth provided the other party agrees that Hindus have the right to continue with their own God or Gods.

That is where the disagreement starts.

"Their" concept of God is not broadminded enough to let us have our own understanding of Him and have our own ways of attaining the God realisation.

That is despite having many thousands of years of glorious past and having had thousands of religious leaders who had mastered the spiritual knowledge.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Question is, should a cunning, scheming ( * please see below) evangelist who is doing a devine duty for his religion, who is nevertheless a threat to Hinduism, be regarded as an enemy?

Only if they're engaging in terrorism. If they do, they're no different than Al-Qaeda.

There's nothing wrong with defending a religion under threat, and I'd agree that, to some extent, Hinduism is under threat. But I don't think the threat originated from outside, but from inside. The fact that the majority of Hindus (from what I understand) are poorly educated is a real cause for concern. I imagine that if most of them were better educated, it wouldn't be in such danger, because the inter-religious conflicts would be more easily and peacefully resolved.

Wannabe Yogi

The Government should not tolerate some of these missionary groups. In America when we had problems with with extremest religious groups like the KKK we just hit them in the pocket book. Took away all they own. The groups were left penniless. It is not the job of individuals to riot against an injustice it's the job of the government to pass laws to stop it.

I fail to see how missionaries are a problem. If they wish to convert people, why can't they? Religious freedom is important, isn't it?

Wannabe Yogi

I fail to see how missionaries are a problem. If they wish to convert people, why can't they? Religious freedom is important, isn't it?

I would like you to answer a question. Are you really a Hindu ? Since you have almost no knowledge about Hinduism and you seem to have knowledge of Christian Theology.

Two reasons why Jesus said that:

1) To fulfill the prophecy in the Psalms

2) As he was taking the sins of humanity upon himself, he felt God's wrath for the first time and cried out.

None of this challenges Jesus' divinity. If anything, it proves his aversion for sin.

A few examples of problems with Missionaries is India are as follows:

-Close ties with Maoist rebels in parts of India. There was an murder of a Hindu Swami (I think that Hindu Swami was an extremist so I am not a big fan but thats not the point.) From what I understand their was a tie between the Christians of Orissa and the Maoist rebels on this violence.

-In Assam a few years back Christian Missions was building schools in an Area. The Hindu's didn't like it so the Ramakrishna Mission built a school. Most of the Hindu's pulled their Kids out of the Christian schools put them in the Ramakrishna mission. The Christians blew the Temple and school up with a bomb. A Swami I know was injured in the blast.

-There are your standard Catholic and Protestant missionaries, now there is a third group that is being bankrolled by rich Christians in America. This group receive money by numbers of converts. They tend to use a manor of conversion that is much more unethical then the standard practices.

I use to be a Southern Baptist Minister. So I understand missionaries from both points of view.

Wannabe Yogi

Just one of Gandhi's comments on Christian Missions.

The Harijan dated May 11, 1935 published an interview given by Gandhiji to a missionary nurse before that date. The nurse asked him, “Would you prevent missionaries coming to India in order to baptise?” Gandhiji replied, “If I had power and could legislate, I should certainly stop all proselytising. It is the cause of much avoidable conflict between classes and unnecessary heart-burning among the missionaries… In Hindu households the advent of a missionary has meant the disruption of the family coming in the wake of change of dress, manners, language, food and drink.”115 The nurse commented, “Is it not the old conception you are referring to? No such thing is now associated with proselytisation.” Gandhiji was well-informed about missionary methods. He said, “The outward condition has perhaps changed but the inward mostly remains the same. Vilification of Hindu religion, though subdued, is there. If there was a radical change in the missionaries’ outlook, would Murdoch’s books be allowed to be sold in mission depots? Are those books prohibited by missionary societies? There is nothing but vilification of Hinduism in those books. You talk of the conception being no longer there. The other day a missionary descended on a famine area with money in his pocket, distributed it among the famine-stricken, converted them to his fold, took charge of their temple and demolished it. This is outrageous. The temple could not belong to the converted, and it could not belong to the Christian missionary. But this friend goes and gets it demolished at the hands of the very men who only a little while ago believed that God was there.”
Encounter with Mahatma Gandhi

I would like you to answer a question. Are you really a Hindu ?

Of course. I just like to follow all religions, that's all.

Anyway, all I am saying is even if missionaries do the things you mention, we should not react in any way. Ahimsa is central to our teaching. We must keep forgiving people. God will be the judge.

Wannabe Yogi

Of course. I just like to follow all religions, that's all.

Anyway, all I am saying is even if missionaries do the things you mention, we should not react in any way. Ahimsa is central to our teaching. We must keep forgiving people. God will be the judge.

This s a complete misunderstanding of Gandhi's view of Ahimsa. Sure we should not riot and kill others. At the same time we should not stand by and allow others to be exploited. Gandhi's Ahimsa is for the strong. It was active in it's desire for good.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
They are peaceful and deceitful.

Peaceful is okay.

Deceitful is not okay, but it is unfortunately one of the jobs of a politician, so I guess they're giving them a taste of their own medicine...

Unless they're trying to follow the path of Yoga (not likely), in which it would be a violation of the yama of non-deceptiveness.