• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are Atheists So Hated?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Same here, Christine. For all my bad experiences, I walked into every one of them. I've never been targeted.

Im an Atheist

Biologist
I'm conducting research on why atheists are so hated by the American populace and I'd like to hear why you think they are viewed so negatively. I understand that many of you don't have any hard feelings against atheists, so please don't feel the need to defend yourself, I mean no offense to anyone.

So why do you think atheists are the most hated and least trusted minority in America?

They are not truely hated, they just get judged by a group of nieve religious people. Hence i know becuase i have been on the recieving end alot.

This is because they don't want to accept other peoples views and believe that their own belief has priority over everyone elses

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Going back to the question of whether the AA article was criticism or bigotry, I stumbled across this last night: Constructive Criticism, TVTropes.
"Okay, I've read your script, and I have a few things to say about it. It needs work, but you've got something going here. I wasn't impressed by the car chases, but those aren't my thing. But I do know that cheesy one-liners aren't really done anymore, unless you're spoofing those kinds of movies, and this isn't a parody. I did like the romance scenes. You should probably expand that relationship. These kind of movies don't do relationships well, and this would help your movie stand out."

"Okay, I've read your script, and it's retarded. You should just use it for toilet paper. Nobody likes car chases anymore, and your crappy jokes make Arnold look like Shakespeare. You thought that **** was funny? Oh, the love scenes were good. I always knew you were gay."

The above two paragraphs aren't quotes. They're to illustrate the difference between Trolling and Constructive Criticism (hopefully, you know which is which). While trolls want to put people down, constructive criticism is meant to help an artist improve his/her work. It's rarely shown in fiction, but it's important to it, since it's meant to help people improve their writing.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Going back to the question of whether the AA article was criticism or bigotry, I stumbled across this last night: Constructive Criticism, TVTropes.
"Okay, I've read your script, and I have a few things to say about it. It needs work, but you've got something going here. I wasn't impressed by the car chases, but those aren't my thing. But I do know that cheesy one-liners aren't really done anymore, unless you're spoofing those kinds of movies, and this isn't a parody. I did like the romance scenes. You should probably expand that relationship. These kind of movies don't do relationships well, and this would help your movie stand out."

"Okay, I've read your script, and it's retarded. You should just use it for toilet paper. Nobody likes car chases anymore, and your crappy jokes make Arnold look like Shakespeare. You thought that **** was funny? Oh, the love scenes were good. I always knew you were gay."
The above two paragraphs aren't quotes. They're to illustrate the difference between Trolling and Constructive Criticism (hopefully, you know which is which). While trolls want to put people down, constructive criticism is meant to help an artist improve his/her work. It's rarely shown in fiction, but it's important to it, since it's meant to help people improve their writing.
Do you mind if I copy your post into my "Atheism" thread? It perfectly summarizes my main point I wanted to get across.

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't think I have time to read all the posts, so I will give my view on why atheists are hated.

In regarding to the US, particularly in the old Cold War, many Americans see atheists as being linked in some ways to the communist China and the former Soviet Union. Considering that Americans are largely Christians, demographically speaking. I have pointed this out, in another topic about atheists.

It is probably hard to disassociate atheism with communism, because for some Christians this link has become entrenched.

Atheism by itself has nothing to do with politics.

The only real objective of atheism is that it doesn't believe in theism - "the existence of the god(s)".

And that's probably another reason why theists don't like atheists.

Theists, especially Christians, don't like atheists for a good reason, because during and after the Age of Enlightenment, the churches were losing ground and control to people who left the Christian faith.

With the arrival of evolution, the Christians lost control over science. T.H. Huxley, the English biologist and the person who coined the word agnosticism, had successfully wrestled the control of the church, and separated science from theology in the classrooms. And evolution more than anything else, put doubts on the creation myth of the Genesis.

A great deal of scientists who are either atheists or other non-religious/non-theists people support evolution than there are Christians.

So several different factors contribute to religious people hating atheists.

Last edited:

Deist David

A serious Deist!
I believe Atheists are hated by some because those people fear the debate even being raised, that (their Abrahamic) God may not exist.

That debate threatens the control that the Christian church has always asserted over other humans - so it is a significant threat.

The US seems to be a hotbed of various extremes; extreme wealth, extreme poverty, extreme extroversion, extreme introversion, extreme love and joy, extreme hate and purposelessness, etc, etc, etc ......

so it doesn't surprise me at all that there is extreme dislike of Atheism by some in the US - I should imagine it's counter-balanced with extreme dislike of the Abrahamics, by some people there.

I've always believe extremes and absolutes are far from the path (small 'p') of life.

EverChanging

Who hasnt had fundamental christianity shoved down their throat :rolleyes:

Many people have, but I don't know many people who relate to what I've been through as a child in a cult-like religion using brainwashing techniques and sometimes putting people into danger of physical harm or having people flush meds down the toilet, etc. Many Christians don't believe me because many people ingeneral assume church is always good. That's what I meant by my statement.

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Ego.

Either being from misguided Christians or atheist. I have friends from many different religions some are atheist or agnostic. Generally we all get along because even though we don't always agree we have learned to respect each others belief system. We have long talks about theology/mythology/philosophy all the time and while it can sometimes get heated (if your not passionate about your beliefs than are they really that important to you?) we know to not try to force our beliefs onto any other person. And that is the problem that is ripping the U.S. to shreds right now. Its not that I am Christian and you are atheist. Its just the misguided Christians or atheist that wish to enforce their iron will over the rest of the country, instead of living and let live.

Last edited: