• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why a Satan if God is all powerful?

Phillip

Real Sorceror said:
You're assuming that God knows the future. Does "all-knowing" include things that cannot be known? If God does not know the future, then He created Lucifer thinking that he would be normal and Good.

It's a scientific law that if the position and velocity of every molecule in the universe are known at any one time, one can then extrapolate the future positions and velocities of those particles. So, in other words, yes, provided God is all knowing, then yes, he does know the future also.

Jerrell

Phillip said:
Ok, this leads me to my point, I think that there is no Satan at all. I find Duothiesm confusing as you have to wonder "Why only 2?". Polythiesm I understand, but going on the fact that I want to keep it simple and I only see a need for 1Good, and 2Evil, let's go with Monothiesm. I think that God being all powerful and all knowing, could have 2 distinct lines of thought at once, and be both completely benevolent, and tempting and merciless.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jas 1:13 - Show Context Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 3 John 1:11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

Ex 20:3 - Show Context Thou shalt have no other gods before me.Jud 10:13 - Show Context Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more. Jer 25:6 - And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt. Jer 44:5 - But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear to turn from their wickedness, to burn no incense unto other gods.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Phillip said:
It's a scientific law that if the position and velocity of every molecule in the universe are known at any one time, one can then extrapolate the future positions and velocities of those particles. So, in other words, yes, provided God is all knowing, then yes, he does know the future also.
I thought the more accurately you pin point a particle's position the less accurately you know its velocity, and vise versa?

Phillip

Halcyon said:
I thought the more accurately you pin point a particle's position the less accurately you know its velocity, and vise versa?

Yes, exactly, but that is only as far as we can understand science. I'm simply assuming that this doesn't apply to a being that is all knowing. If it did, then God would be half-knowing :) , not all knowing.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Jerrell said:
Satan goes by many names: Belial, Zues, The Dark One, Lucifer, Lord of Flies, Osiris, Hades...Satan takes on many forms, he is a liar, so I am not surprised many dont beleive in him, they probably just don't see him at work...he has a tendency of fooling people.

Please explain these:
Osiris - The Egyptian God = Not Satan

and how can Zues AND Hades be equivolated to Satan? The story of Zues and Hades is very comparable to the story of God and Satan. The same archetypes. They are the essential same in both mythologies.

In the old testament people were killed because they believed something else. They were killed because GOD ordered that!!! God ordered to kill unbelievers. Even women and little children were killed by God!!! Why? because they did not believe? What kind of barbaric God aproves that kind of actions? In my eyes killing innocent people is evil. And i think many people agree with me. Remember what jesus said in the new testament that he was not to come bring peace but to bring the sword.

Bye

Phillip

Here's another idea that still supports Monothiesm, and keeps my idea that Satan doesn't exist.
See? That's not talking about people doing evil because of Satan. That's talking about people doing nasty things because of the absence of God's goodness.
What if you think of Good the same way as heat? There is no such thing as cold, there is only a lack of heat. Maybe evil works the same way, and it's simply a lack of closeness to God's goodness, thus causing evil.

d.

_______
Draka said:
Please explain these:
Osiris - The Egyptian God = Not Satan

sorry to nitpick, but an egyptian god. i think the distinction is important in cases such as these.

Jerrel you are a funny guy :D

Jerrel: Satan goes by many names: Belial, Zues, The Dark One, Lucifer, Lord of Flies, Osiris, Hades...Satan takes on many forms, he is a liar, so I am not surprised many dont beleive in him, they probably just don't see him at work...he has a tendency of fooling people.

hahahaha you are mixing stuff together . That is really a christian thing he? Saying that gods are liars and evil. That gods are demons. You know what you need a study jerrel. Get your nose out of your old bible and try to study my friend. Your bible has no future in this world. Stoning people and other barbaric stuff is outdated.l

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Halcyon said:
Really? Well based on looks :sarcastic i'd say it was the other way around.

well i say satan is like Tommy cause he's got a specific job to do but he always gets really carried away and can get a little crazy

Draka

Wonder Woman
divine said:
sorry to nitpick, but an egyptian god. i think the distinction is important in cases such as these.

Okie dokie. Yes, AN Egyptian God. The only reasoning by which I stated it like that is that he is considered to be the Great God of that pantheon. Sorry.

d.

_______
Draka said:
Okie dokie. Yes, AN Egyptian God. The only reasoning by which I stated it like that is that he is considered to be the Great God of that pantheon. Sorry.

that's exactly why christians with satan on their minds pick him to represent the great deceiver of ancient egypt. they assume that the kemetic polytheistic concepts paralell their own concepts, and they don't...

i wouldn't have picked on it if this wasn't the context, so don't be sorry. :)

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Phillip said:
Ok, this leads me to my point, I think that there is no Satan at all. I find Duothiesm confusing as you have to wonder "Why only 2?". Polythiesm I understand, but going on the fact that I want to keep it simple and I only see a need for 1Good, and 2Evil, let's go with Monothiesm. I think that God being all powerful and all knowing, could have 2 distinct lines of thought at once, and be both completely benevolent, and tempting and merciless.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
First, Satan and Lucifer are not gods. They are just fallen angels and have very little power when compared to most gods. Therefore, Christianity is monotheist.
Second, why does God need to be evil or have evil qualities? We have free-will. We produce our own evil and temptation for evil.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Phillip said:
Does this apply to thoughts? Are thoughts made out of molecules?
This law seems to only show where everthing will be and possibly what it will be doing. It does not provide reason or intent.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Draka said:

His specific position in the hierarchy really depended on who you were asking, from which city and at which point in time.

Amun-Ra, various incarnations of Heru and others had occupied the top spot at different points and places.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
divine said:
that's exactly why christians with satan on their minds pick him to represent the great deceiver of ancient egypt.
Which is very strange considering the Osiris/Christ parallels.

If anything, i'd of thought that Christians would see the Osiris myth as a prophecy about Christ. Guess i don't understand the Christian mindframe though...