• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why a lonely atheist with a worst life quality fears death so much?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So this atheist has nothing in life to worth living for..
So Why He/She fears death so much?

Is the inner mind of atheists telling them to fear the results of their bad deed that they have committed during their lives?!!

Actually, you probably fear death more than I do, bro. At least that's what the scientists tell us: Believers in general fear death more than non-believers.

Jedster

I agree, to an extent, @FearGod
For me, as I become older, it isn't death itself that I actually fear... what I worry about (not much, but a bit) is a long and lingering illness and then finally dying. I'd much rather be a bug on the windshield of life and get it all over as quickly and as painlessly as possible. Besides, it's not like it's the first time I've ever died, LOL. After a few billion turns at the wheel the fear tends to subside.

Ditto :)
i also hold the view that death will be a unique experience in my lifetime and holds some excitement for me; especially as I grow older in years and often things seem groundhog.

on a side note....
What was the last thing on the bugs mind when it hit the windshield?
It's ***.

Your post brought that to mind.

Actually, if you knew any bugs personally, you would know that they do not fear death since their scripture tells them not to. Their scripture being "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull"..

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Actually, if you knew any bugs personally, you would know that they do not fear death since their scripture tells them not to. Their scripture being "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull"..
Except that I have not even implied that bugs fear death....

Murad

Yes natural, but that doesn't mean isn't fearful.
You can see that (almost always except in dining persons) practically if you break a bad news about end stage disease, to atheists, monotheists or any kind of believers

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So this atheist has no"thisthing in life to worth living for..

Is the inner mind of atheists telling them to fear the resulpts of their bad deed that they have committed during their lives?!!

Which atheist or is that the royal "this"?

What bad deeds? Non belief in a bronze age myth is far from a bad deed. Its just something you put on your go to hell check checklist to justify your intolerance of non believers in your particular unfounded snugness.

Most atheists don't fear death. Most couldn't care care less because they know they have one life to make the most of. Far better than repressing yourself in the hope of a dream

Milton Platt

Is the inner mind of atheists telling them to fear the results of their bad deed that they have committed during their lives?!!

Which atheist are you talking about. Why don't you ask the atheist in question?

I'm an atheist, and have a great life. I have atheist friends who have very fulfilling lives.

An atheist would fear death for the same reasons a theist or deist, or polytheist would.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Atheists don't get to comfort themselves with the delusion that they'll be magically transported to a mythical paradise when they die. They have to confront death for what it is - the end.

That's scary. I don't care who you are.

for me it's more sad than scary. As Hitchens said, "the party will go on without me".

Atheists place mind at the top of their personal hierarchy, as the ultimate authority. The mind is ever-fearful. Death is its greatest fear.
The religious hope, and have faith in, eternal life, as is promised to them via their chosen religion, which gives them a means of partially countering their fear of death.
The enlightened being has penetrated the illusion of fear, and gladly accepts his approaching death, as the next phase of what he knew as life.

There is great and terminal danger in the religion of atheism.
It's one thing to not-know-yet, but quite another to consciously sever the connection with what may someday provide the answers.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheists place mind at the top of their personal hierarchy, as the ultimate authority. The mind is ever-fearful. Death is its greatest fear.
The religious hope, and have faith in, eternal life, as is promised to them via their chosen religion, which gives them a means of partially countering their fear of death.
The enlightened being has penetrated the illusion of fear, and gladly accepts his approaching death, as the next phase of what he knew as life.

There is great and terminal danger in the religion of atheism.
It's one thing to not-know-yet, but quite another to consciously sever the connection with what may someday provide the answers.
I've been an atheist for most of my life, and in several life or death situations, and I've never been afraid of death. I don't hurry towards it, because I think life is great and I don't want to squander my time. But I also don't squander my time worrying about death or whom or what might have plans for an assumed afterlife.

Then you are to be congratulated. What you've managed is a rare thing indeed, and may yet lead you to unimaginable feats-to-come.

Kapalika

Premium Member

If death is literally nothing, life is literally everything. That is why.

This is a pretty dumb question and I'll turn it around to show how; Muslims fear death, even though they fully believe they will go to Heaven, what, do they fear death because they know there may not really be anything after death?

The truth is, humans fear dying, because everyone who didn't died. If you take one group all fear death, another and they don't, given enough time all the ones who didn't fear death would die, leaving only the group that does fear death. Instincts like fear are genetic. It is why a young child will fear something dangerous, because through many generations those who were born with fear to those things and so avoid them, and live on to have kids too.

That's actually a really good example of natural selection.