• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who taught Christianity to Paul?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It wasnt just oral traditions, there was plenty of writen traditions of all different kinds.

Even paul tells us of other scripture that no longer exist today.
I will remember that you have written that the first messages were not only transmitted orally, but also in writing.
But I have little doubt that for many years the message spread (and developed, and became coloured) orally.

Its been long known we only have a fraction of what once existed.
Yes..... loads of writings were destroyed, and complainants murdered, hundreds of years later.
The movement was wide and diverse in Pauls time, because Judaism was wide and diverse.
So Paul tried to communicate with them, put his 'stamp' upon them...... adjust them. You've already mentioned that he could have been accused of heresy.

Paul taught nothing new, he was just the scribe more or less for a community in some cases.
Yes he did. He positively ranted and raged to have his view and his version of Christianity accepted.

Most (western?) Christianity is Pauline. Absolutely no thing to do with the artisan and healer who lived in Galilee.

outhouse

Atheistically
Most (western?) Christianity is Pauline. Absolutely no thing to do with the artisan and healer who lived in Galilee.

Agreed, but it wasnt Paul that created the seperation or division from a more traditional Judaism where the movement failed, and the Hellenistic movement in the Diaspora where the movement gained steam Paul was a part of.

Think about it, we have a martyred man at passover. The oral traditions that were generated went nowhere in Israel. Yet in Hellenistic communities everyhwere it floursihed because people leaving passover and going home took these legends with them.

Paul did not spread the message as much as correct it, he first hunted members down violently. This should be enough evidence to you that he didnt start the Hellenistic movement he was hired to try and stop the Hellenistic movement. Violence failed.

And remember, he didnt hunt in Galilee where the real apostles were. Why? Its my opinion the movement failed in Judaism with jesus death. The only people who found importance with the legends were Hellenist in the Diaspora. He was forced to hunt the Diaspora where h emovment was going on full speed ahead.

Yadon

Hi outhouse, as I said before, IF you do not have eyes to see and ears to hear, it will be incomprehensible. KB

You mean it will only make sense to the brainwashed or those trying to twist it in a way to make sense? Who knew!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Agreed, but it wasnt Paul that created the seperation or division from a more traditional Judaism where the movement failed, and the Hellenistic movement in the Diaspora where the movement gained steam Paul was a part of.
Hello again..... It was Paul who advocated opening up his new version of the faith to uncircumcised..... ?

Think about it, we have a martyred man at passover. The oral traditions that were generated went nowhere in Israel. Yet in Hellenistic communities everyhwere it floursihed because people leaving passover and going home took these legends with them.
There was no Israel..... The people leaving passover who were most likely to have been impressed with news of the incident were the working jews, the true Jews.... the hellenists were probably not as 'righteous' about passover as the true Jews. I think the Tradition spread through the working class..... why not?

Paul did not spread the message as much as correct it, ..................
.....there it is....... Paul corrected and adjusted the faith to his own point of view and ends.... there it is....

And remember, he didnt hunt in Galilee where the real apostles were. Why? Its my opinion the movement failed in Judaism with jesus death. The only people who found importance with the legends were Hellenist in the Diaspora. He was forced to hunt the Diaspora where h emovment was going on full speed ahead.
....... wherever he hunted, whomever he put down, it was he who then picked it up and ran with it..... it being his version..... he had little interest in the Galilean healer..... just a name woith a background to adjust everything as he (and his) wished.

I am beginning to believe that G-Mark was written 'in answer' to Paul's vigorous efforts, much of it explaining the true person and mission of Jesus. I am amazed that G-Mark survived.... Paul would have destroyed it, methinks.....

Ken Brown

You mean it will only make sense to the brainwashed or those trying to twist it in a way to make sense? Who knew!

Hi Yadon, apparently, you have not followed the discussion between outhouse and myself. Do you have anything to add that makes any sense? KB

outhouse

Atheistically
Hello again..... It was Paul who advocated opening up his new version of the faith to uncircumcised..... ?

There was no Israel..... The people leaving passover who were most likely to have been impressed with news of the incident were the working jews, the true Jews.... the hellenists were probably not as 'righteous' about passover as the true Jews. I think the Tradition spread through the working class..... why not?

.....there it is....... Paul corrected and adjusted the faith to his own point of view and ends.... there it is....

....... wherever he hunted, whomever he put down, it was he who then picked it up and ran with it..... it being his version..... he had little interest in the Galilean healer..... just a name woith a background to adjust everything as he (and his) wished.

I am beginning to believe that G-Mark was written 'in answer' to Paul's vigorous efforts, much of it explaining the true person and mission of Jesus. I am amazed that G-Mark survived.... Paul would have destroyed it, methinks.....

What do you have to say about the Hellenistic movement in the Diaspora that existed before Paul in gentile communities?

If Paul didnt start it, and it was growing without him, how can we attribute it all to just him?

outhouse

Atheistically

Not exactly

Hellenistic Proselytes had a history of not being circumcised.

Paul just played his part in the arguement of others if you read what he states.

He is telling others, not all. And it was not even a issue in all the groups he wrote about and visited.

In many places it was not a issue at all. [accepted already]

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hi Yadon, apparently, you have not followed the discussion between outhouse and myself. Do you have anything to add that makes any sense? KB

Good grief - How many people does it take to tell you the same thing before you understand your argument is full of holes, and your personal opinion isn't a real debate tactic?

luke75

Paul once persecuted the believers of Jesus, but he left behind this life to become the most honored instrument of God. Paul suffered from illness. In despair, he prayed to the Lord, and God replied that his grace is sufficient for Paul. No matter how insufficient and weak we may be, we can be used greatly for the establishment of God's kingdom.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Paul once persecuted the believers of Jesus, but he left behind this life to become the most honored instrument of God. Paul suffered from illness. In despair, he prayed to the Lord, and God replied that his grace is sufficient for Paul. No matter how insufficient and weak we may be, we can be used greatly for the establishment of God's kingdom.

Or as someone commissioned to track down, kill, or imprison Christians, and kill the Jesus movement -

- Who didn't know Jesus - and very conveniently claimed he had a "vision" on the road -

- And whom scripture tells us the disciples were afraid of -

- and scriptures tell us he had scriptural arguments with other disciples -

Well - I'm guessing he decided on a new tactic to take them off track, by lying about his vision, etc, and then changing scripture, and adding in Pagan thought, - totally taking them away from what Tanakh and Jesus actually taught.

Anttjuan

Well, here is whom Paul says taught him: "I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ" (Galatians 1:12).

outhouse

Atheistically
Well, here is whom Paul says taught him: "I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ" (Galatians 1:12).

How do you think Paul learned about this sect?

You dont think he would have learned anything at all about this sect after hunting them down for possibly 1-3 years?

Do you think Pauls writing education would have used Aristotles influence in use of rhetoric in such occasional epistles?

AmbiguousGuy

How do you think Paul learned about this sect?

How does a modern preacher learn about his sect. Some go to seminary and conform their theology to the ruling church leaders, but many just hear a few sermons, read a few scriptures... and concoct their own personal theology and start preaching it.

Paul was just an especially successful preacher.