• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who should pay for dinner on a gay date?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So lately the topic of who should pay for dinner/drinks/the entertainment on a date came up. Usually people say it's the man, or the more progressive types say it should be split between the two and there's still others who say each should pay for their own stuff (me).

But I've only heard this spoken about in a heterosexual context? How does this work with gay men? Or lesbians? I'm honestly perplexed. Lol.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Flip a coin? Lol

Idk. Maybe split the bill. Or perhaps one pays for the meal and the other person pays for dessert. If that’s a thing US restaurants do?

I will say though, I was always raised not to accept a paid meal without “shouting the next one.” Or at least buy the guy a drink lol
Even during dating scenarios.
Not sure if that comes from my Aussie or Fiji-Indian heritage though.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Usually in the straight world the man pays. But then the man is usually the one that is asking the other out.

I would say, and this would apply to both gay and straight, that the one asking is the one that would need to pay. Eventually it should be more fifty fifty.
I agree. Paying for something for someone is to show that you're grateful for their participation.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
So lately the topic of who should pay for dinner/drinks/the entertainment on a date came up. Usually people say it's the man, or the more progressive types say it should be split between the two and there's still others who say each should pay for their own stuff (me).

But I've only heard this spoken about in a heterosexual context? How does this work with gay men? Or lesbians? I'm honestly perplexed. Lol.

I play it by ear. In general I think it's very romantic for a man to pay for my dinner, so if he wants to I'll let him. But if he doesn't volunteer then in general I just suggest we split the bill.