• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who repsonsible for the death of Jesus?

Sabour

I disagree, if you happen to kill someone, then you are responsible for your action, but if he or she expires on his or her own then that is obvious.

No one dies before his death time comes. When it is your time to die, you will die whether you were in a lovely home or in a chaos war

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Trial and crucifixion is an unusual way to be killed as there is no single executioner.
In essence your own body weight kills you.
So no one was the direct killer of Jesus

But many people were involved in the lead up to it, including the population who chose to save Barabbas rather than save Jesus.

To a large extent the main players could all have prevented his death, but chose not to do so. Perhaps we could say his slayers did so by sins of omission.

The Bible stories lead us to believe that he knew that his time was coming, and while not welcoming it he took not even the most basic steps to avoid it. So was he responsible for his own Death? Was God responsible? because he set the whole process in motion.

It seems that who? killed Jesus, or why people contributed to that act is far less important than the result and effect his death and resurrection has had on the world.

Even in a non religious sense it has changed the world's attitude to society, Law, punishment and mercy and empathy and acceptance and love for others.

Even to the secular world Jesus death has been a game changer.

In a religious sense it has established the largest and most influential religion the world has ever seen and that is inclusive to all people.

Not bad for a carpenters son.

John Martin

We can look at it from different angles: the external situations, the people who are involved, Jesus' own stand. Death is something everyone has to face it whether we want or not. We need to blame someone or something.

If Jesus accepted his death as the will of God for him, that was his role in the big drama of this world, then there is no point of blaming anyone. He has done his role perfectly well. Just as every drama or every film has a message to convey, so the question is: what did we learn from this drama of Jesus for our life? Whom do we want to imitate? The Sadducee, the Pharisees, the priests, Pilate, the Fisher men, the tax collectors, the prostitutes, the common people? Everyone acted well their roles: it is for us now to decide. It is not useful to ask the question, who is responsible for Jesus' death? The question might be: what did I learn from the death of Jesus?

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We need to blame someone or something.
yes, we do. The law works that way. If a person is killed, the perpetrator is supposed to be punished.

If Jesus accepted his death as the will of God for him, that was his role in the big drama of this world, then there is no point of blaming anyone.

please...:facepalm:
did he suicide himself? No, dear. He was killed. Unjustly.

The question might be: what did I learn from the death of Jesus?

I learned that it is better to be victims than perpetrators. And that the just, like Jesus, will go to Heaven,
the wicked and the perpetrators, like Caiaphas will go to hell.

so...yes...Jesus' crucifixion was not for saving the just (who are already saved)
but it was for sending people like Caiaphas to Hell

roger1440

I do stuff
I have always wondered this, and am hoping some astute Christians can answer me.

Are Judas and Pilate responsible for the death of Jesus if indeed it was all part of god's immutable plan? Or is there some means in which we all still someone have free will, and they are still responsible for their part of it?

Thanks in advance.
A discussion on Jesus’s death without the resurrection would be only half a story. Half a story is no story at all. It’s kind of like having half a car. Try driving it to work.