• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who or What Is the Holy Spirit?

Spruce

I am 52 and I have never heard an explanation by priests or the Catholic Church as to who or what the Holy Spirit is?

Have you? Please educate me.

Spruce :)

Heim

I'd say that the Catholic viewpoint would emphasize the Holy Spirit as a person of the Trinity.

I am 52 and I have never heard an explanation by priests or the Catholic Church as to who or what the Holy Spirit is?

According to God's Word,the holy spirit is God's active fore.The same force that was used to create the entire universe and inspire the Word of God to be written by men.The holy sprit is not a person.

This is to explain to those who believe that the holy sprit is a person.Person does not just mean a human being.Look up the word person and read all of the definitions.Jehovah God is a person,Jesus is a person, but the holy spirit is not.When the holy spirt is given by God to people to carry out His will,these people are not being possessed by a person called the holy spirit, or holy ghost.It is God's active force.His power.Here is an example.

Luke 1:35 In answer the angel said to her: “Holy spirit will come upon you, and power of the Most High will overshadow you. And for that reason the one who is born will be called holy, God’s Son.

It refers to the holy spirt producing "power of the Most High."

Heres another.....

Micah 3:8 As for me, I am filled with power by the spirit of Jehovah,
And with justice and might,
To tell to Jacob his revolt and to Israel his sin.

"power by the spirit of Jehovah"

And another.......

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·de′a and Sa·mar′i·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

The holy spirit is God's active force which gives people the power to carry out His will.It is not a person.

If you look a this passage in Luke it is obvious that Elizabeth is not being filled with another person.

Luke 1:41 Well, as Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the infant in her womb leaped, and Elizabeth was filled with holy spirit

Here John the Baptist refers to the holy spirit as power, not a person.

Matthew 3:11 I, for my part, baptize you with water because of your repentance, but the one coming after me is stronger than I am, whose sandals I am not worthy to take off. That one will baptize you with holy spirit and with fire.

Peter speaks of this too.....
Acts 10:38 about Jesus who was from Naz′a·reth, how God anointed him with holy spirit and power, and he went through the land doing good and healing all those oppressed by the Devil, because God was with him.

Adstar

The Holy Spirit is God. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, or God in Spirit form.

Renji

Well he's described as the 'ruach' and the 'neshama' in the original Hebrew (if I'm not mistaken) text of the bible. He's the person of the christian god that represents 'power' (which enabled numerous man of god and god himself to perform numerous miracles) and the 'breath of life' (which itself, gave life to Adam and Eve)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I guess the Father is God, the creator, the Holy Spirit is the Arch Angel Gabriel, and the Son is Jesus...

Am I making any sense?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Oh, this is the Christian DIR.

My post was probably taken as offensive to some of you guys. I apologize, I didn't mean it :(

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Yes, I meant that was my guess.

Since it is the Christian DIR, I wasn't suppose to comment like that. I cannot comment further because it is against the rules I agreed on registering on RF.

Oh, this is the Christian DIR.

My post was probably taken as offensive to some of you guys. I apologize, I didn't mean it :(

Dud! Are you still offending people? J/K Smart Guy. Nothing you say can ever be deemed offensive.You remind me of those nice people in the movie National Lampoons European Vacation.No matter what the Grizzwall's did, everyone was super nice.Watch,it's super funny.Lol...

Skwim

Veteran Member
This is to explain to those who believe that the holy sprit is a person.Person does not just mean a human being.Look up the word person and read all of the definitions.Jehovah God is a person,Jesus is a person, but the holy spirit is not.When the holy spirt is given by God to people to carry out His will,these people are not being possessed by a person called the holy spirit, or holy ghost.It is God's active force.His power.Here is an example.
Very strange point you're trying to make here. The holy spirit isn't a person because god and Jesus fit some dictionary definition of "person"? Verrry strange logic.

And, I don't know what dictionary you consulted for "person," but the six I looked at all define "person"in terms of a human being. Think god is a human being?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I was raised and confirmed a Catholic, and I'm 76 now and still don't know !
Father Vargo used to say: "The spirit is in your heart and your mind, do good and don't worry about it until Saturday afternoon, be in church on Sunday and you'll be fine". Get the host and pray !!!
I quit the church about 60 years ago, and I've never felt the 'spirit' sense then.
They'll probably delete this post, but what the hell !
~
'mud

I was raised and confirmed a Catholic, and I'm 76 now and still don't know !
Father Vargo used to say: "The spirit is in your heart and your mind, do good and don't worry about it until Saturday afternoon, be in church on Sunday and you'll be fine". Get the host and pray !!!
I quit the church about 60 years ago, and I've never felt the 'spirit' sense then.
They'll probably delete this post, but what the hell !
~
'mud

You know what Mud..... There is no scripture anywhere in the bible where it tells people they need to be in church on sunday.
Romans 14:5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.