• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who makes the best impression?

Misty

On this, and other forums, you have 'delightful' people threatening you with hell and damnation, whilst others are much more reasonable. Yes they believe in God but they try to empathise with others who see it differently. They don't try to force their faith on those who aren't receptive to it. I know who makes the best impression on me, and I bet that goes for people who are genuinely seeking a faith.

If you are judgemental, critical and bigoted you are most unlikely to win any converts.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Interesting how at the end of the day it is the attitude, rather than the belief, that counts. Don't you agree?

AllMantra

It truly is the attitude that counts. I believe that the hell fire and brimstone types are really just acting out of insecurity, anyway. Passion hides subtle doubts.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
On this, and other forums, you have 'delightful' people threatening you with hell and damnation, whilst others are much more reasonable. Yes they believe in God but they try to empathise with others who see it differently. They don't try to force their faith on those who aren't receptive to it. I know who makes the best impression on me, and I bet that goes for people who are genuinely seeking a faith.

If you are judgemental, critical and bigoted you are most unlikely to win any converts.

Christians come in many "flavors" as do people from any walk of life. Personally, I don't think you can fully understand your own faith, without examining the faith (or lack thereof) of others.

With this said, I've been accused of bigotry when I've simply stated my own personal beliefs. I'm not an extremist, by any means, but I won't back away from what I do believe to appease other people. I agree with you that those who do not force their faith on others are a better breed.

Just remember that hateful reproach is an ugly thing too.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Christians come in many "flavors" as do people from any walk of life. Personally, I don't think you can fully understand your own faith, without examining the faith (or lack thereof) of others.

With this said, I've been accused of bigotry when I've simply stated my own personal beliefs. I'm not an extremist, by any means, but I won't back away from what I do believe to appease other people. I agree with you that those who do not force their faith on others are a better breed.

Just remember that hateful reproach is an ugly thing too.

You're practically the furthest thing from a bigot, Dawny.

Don't feel bad. I've been called a ***** and a whore. Oh well. :D

Oh, and I agree with Luis 100%.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

If you are judgmental, critical and bigoted you are most unlikely to win any converts.

I've seen pleasant and unpleasant people of every race, creed, color, religion, gender, and more. Pleasant people are usually ignored. Unpleasant people are given power by people reacting to them- almost always negatively (sometimes positively by other negative people, LOL).

Skwim

Veteran Member
Interesting how at the end of the day it is the attitude, rather than the belief, that counts. Don't you agree?
Well, I've never cared all that much about the messenger, but rather the message. What's said rather than why has always been more appealing to me. Not that some haven't made me shake my head in disbelief.

Mr.Lost

Mr.Lost
Many people try make you feel bad about not giving to the church, attending events, and giving money. Many of pastures stand up and scare people with hell and all that jazz. These are the same people that will not go out of there way to stop for you if you get a flat tire. Today a person said something that I believe strongly in. what he sort of said was that religion and morals are very much connected (not in that context of course). I think all of us have experienced that on these forums and in our home communities. To me the people who make the best impression are the people who add something new to the table and share what they think with out slamming people. The people who will take the time to show a five year old how to tie there shoe rather then walking away or tieing it with out showing them.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not so much, but it depends by what it is understood to count towards.

If one person is obnoxious and has beliefs that I find absurd and unethical, and another person is polite and has beliefs that I find absurd and unethical, I'll prefer the second person somewhat but the beliefs themselves are still the same. And beliefs say a lot about an individual.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not so much, but it depends by what it is understood to count towards.

If one person is obnoxious and has beliefs that I find absurd and unethical, and another person is polite and has beliefs that I find absurd and unethical, I'll prefer the second person somewhat but the beliefs themselves are still the same. And beliefs say a lot about an individual.

I can hardly dispute any of that. What I meant was that professed beliefs rarely say so much about a person as what she actually does.

In fact, it can be very difficult to learn about one's beliefs. The relationship between belief and behavior is rarely a very direct and clear one.

Smoke

Done here.
That sounds good in theory, but in real life you can be the most judgmental, critical and bigoted ******* in five states, but you can go on tv and thousands of sweet little old ladies will skip meals to send you more of their Social Security. Strange but true.

Smoke

Done here.
With this said, I've been accused of bigotry when I've simply stated my own personal beliefs.
I don't think you're a bigot, and I'd have no qualms about saying so if I did. I ran out of patience years ago, and I'm fine with that. But you're okay. ;)

Zadok

Zadok

I cannot speak for others but for me it is no different for religion, or mathematics, or science, or economics, or sports or anything else. I have had some excellent teachers and coaches. Some have been demanding and what others call a bad attitude. When I seek out a teacher or coach I seek out the best I can find. I want and expert to learn from the best. At least someone very good at their craft; unfortunately some of the best have bad attitudes. It is just a fact of life

In my younger years, I had a ski coach that would ski very close and if I made the smallest mistake he would knock me down. He was the best even though his attitude sucked. He made me a much better competitor – but that was long ago.

For me, I like a good attitude in those that I learn from but it is not my first priority. Honesty and consistency are big on my list but #1 from me is someone that understands their craft and exemplifies the skills expected to be learned.

Zadok

DavyCrocket2003

I can hardly dispute any of that. What I meant was that professed beliefs rarely say so much about a person as what she actually does.

In fact, it can be very difficult to learn about one's beliefs. The relationship between belief and behavior is rarely a very direct and clear one.

Could I add to this and say that how some one acts actually says a lot more about what they believe than what they say they believe? I mean, the most powerful influence we have is not our words at all, but how who we are inside manifests itself in our daily lives.

An artificial setting like this forum kind of masks all that stuff. But it still comes through a little bit. In real life example is EVERYTHING. Who do you listen to for advice? Someone who sounds really smart but is a jerk? Or the simple advice of someone you absolutely admire that you know means the words he's saying?

Misty

I cannot speak for others but for me it is no different for religion, or mathematics, or science, or economics, or sports or anything else. I have had some excellent teachers and coaches. Some have been demanding and what others call a bad attitude. When I seek out a teacher or coach I seek out the best I can find. I want and expert to learn from the best. At least someone very good at their craft; unfortunately some of the best have bad attitudes. It is just a fact of life

In my younger years, I had a ski coach that would ski very close and if I made the smallest mistake he would knock me down. He was the best even though his attitude sucked. He made me a much better competitor – but that was long ago.

For me, I like a good attitude in those that I learn from but it is not my first priority. Honesty and consistency are big on my list but #1 from me is someone that understands their craft and exemplifies the skills expected to be learned.

Zadok

Religion is different to maths, science etc, it is a personal thing and a belief, not a sequence of facts to be taught.