• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most logical?

Who do you believe is more logical?

• Men are more logical

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Women are more logical

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Men and women are equally logical

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Neither men nor women are logical

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Who do you believe is most logical, men or women, both or neither. You can discuss if you like. This poll is for fun, mostly.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I think they're both equally logical, of course the methods may be different between the sexes.

Smoke

Done here.
Are there any studies on this?
I found an article about an old study (1994) released by the National Foundation for Women Business Owners, that says the following:
More than half of women business owners (53%) emphasize intuitive or "right-brain" thinking. This style stresses creativity, sensitivity and values-based decision making. Seven out of ten (71%) men business owners emphasize logical or "left-brain" thinking. This style stresses analysis, processing information methodically and developing procedures.

Women business owners' decision-making style is more "whole-brained" than their male counterparts, that is, more evenly distributed between right and left brain thinking.

Two-thirds (66%) of women business owners (compared to 56% of men business owners) tend to reflect on decisions, weighing options and outcomes before moving to action. In addition, women are more likely to gather information from business advisors and associates. More men business owners (44% compared to 34% of women business owners) emphasize action and give greater attention to external events and activities than reflection.
The point seems to be that men are more logical, but that it's not really a good thing.

robtex

Veteran Member
Darn!! I was looking for the entry on the poll that said "Vulcan's are the most logical"

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Well, in my experience, men seem to be more logical - there were more males in my philosophy classes than females (females make up the majority of the university's students), if that says anything.

And sometimes I think female logic is a contradiction in itself :p

I mean, I barely understand exactly how one things follows from another in the minds of some of my female friends.

But then I'm likely to be biased towards male, being male myself, and understanding the male way of thinking

I dunno.

DavisGirl

Men.

Us girls love to fly off the handle. So, while a woman can be as logical as a man - she takes some time to get there.

spiritually inclined

Men are logical, women are emotional.

I think that the above statement is an over-simplification, but perhaps there is some truth to it.

Maybe there are advantages and disadvantages with each gender. Some of that is cultural of course. The whole ******* I'm a man I need meat and potatoes and I'll kick your *** mentality really ****** me off. And extremely feminine girls just make me laugh.

James

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Darn!! I was looking for the entry on the poll that said "Vulcan's are the most logical"
That reminds of a statement made by Captain Kirk to Spock-- "On Vulcan, women are logical, they are the only planet to be able to make that claim" (the quote isn't exactly correct, but it is the gist of what was said). :D

Diogenes

I can say from personal experience that I have never won an argument with a woman. Using logic only infuriates them more. But this is true in both sexes to varying degrees. Thomas Jefferson said that he never saw an opponent's opinion give way due to a successful implementation of reason. Humans are emotional and stubborn by nature. If men have an edge over women in this area at all, I'm sure that it is by a very slim margin.

Fluffy

A fool
Men but I think that is by a small margin and that very dangerous beliefs can arise from that premise if it is not stated carefully.

morning-star

Light Bearer
neither....iv'e yet to see anyone make seance....

seriously I don't know, I guess it's down to the individual not gender.

Cynic

Men are logical, women are emotional.
From what my sociology professor told me last year, studies have shown that men are just as emotional, if not more emotional than women. They just express it in different ways. For males it is through aggression.

Another thing to mention is that, according to Dr. Antonio Damasio, head of the department of neurology at the University of Iowa College of Medicine, emotion is integral to reason, and cannot be separated, despite our cultural ideas on emotion and logic. This is noted when emotional areas of the brain are damaged by tumor or injury to the brain. The behavior of such patients in case studies are correspondingly illogical and incoherent.

Women score higher in spelling, grammer, and other verbal skills while men score higher in math and visual spatial skills (Gallagher et al., 2000; Quasier-Pohl & Lehmanns, 2002). A notable difference in female and male brains, is the corpus callosum. Female brains are more integrated, due to a thicker corpus callosum. Therefore, a female brain has more bilateral activity amongst the left/right hemispheres. This suggest that women are more capable when it comes to multi-tasking and being conscious of their surroundings. Men on the other hand have unilateral or specialized activity... We have "tunnel vision." (Another biological difference, although slightly relevant to the brain, is that women have better peripheral vision.) It is likely that our hunter/gatherer past can explain these differences.

Other differences lie in the hypothalamus and cerebral hemispheres.

IMO, "which is more logical" is akin to asking whether if biscuits or gravy are superior in taste. They both compliment each other! :)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Very good answer actually, i liked that Cynic, thanks.

Men and Women were designed to compliment eachother, it is comepletely natural for a Man and a Woman to compliment eachother and work together effectively.

My wife is definitely more aware of her surroundings while i have "tunnel vision" in some areas, where i will be able to pick apart something to the most fine details, and she sees a broader spectrum.

Your post makes sense. Frubals.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Aren't the Limbic Systems of women larger than in males?
No, women have a larger Corpus Callosum, which is the bundle of nerves that connects the two cerebral hemisphere's of the brain (right brain, left brain).

To address the thread in general, it's absolutely false that men are more logical. Men are better at recognizing spatial cues and women are better at verbal communication.

As for emotion, social norms allow women to display emotions of vulnerability more easily; it's more readily accepted. Just look at how men are ridiculed if they cry. So women can cry, and show affection (ie - emotional dependency on another person). On the other hand, it's more socially accepted for men to show anger and assertiveness - he's just being a man - whereas when women show anger or assertiveness, they're labeled as "*****es."

(And I'm shocked that the censor didn't bleep that last word out.)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Men are better at recognizing spatial cues and women are better at verbal communication.

Not in my marriage, I have a hard enough time trying to get my wife to tell me what she thinks. she stays quiet all the time. I'm the loud mouth talker in this relationship.

As for emotion, social norms allow women to display emotions of vulnerability more easily; it's more readily accepted. Just look at how men are ridiculed if they cry. So women can cry, and show affection (ie - emotional dependency on another person). On the other hand, it's more socially accepted for men to show anger and assertiveness - he's just being a man - whereas when women show anger or assertiveness, they're labeled as "*****es."
Men cry, the reason it is "unacceptable" is because men are supposed to be "manly" and assertive even untill death. but the truth be told every sunday at church, i see grown men bear thier testimonies and with such strength that they cry and sound like babbling brooks. we don't laugh at them or make fun of them, we know that they are truely feeling what they know is right.

point is, there is nothing wrong with a man crying unless he is crying to get attention or those other reasons. Same for women. we call these men and women "attention whores"

Asserting yourself is good in certain situations. but not in others, especially when you know you are wrong, or youa re just being stubborn so you dont "look bad" or whatever. Women who assert themselves i don't see them as "*****es" unless they assert themselves in that fashion, and for men to assert themselves in the same way one would call them "a-holes."

I think men probably have a higher tolerance, and can ignore things easier than women, (at least it has been in my experience) which would make it seem that men are insensitive, but no, they just have the ability to ignore it because we have "tunnel vision." and women can't because of thier perripherals