• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the “slave of G-d" whose Nanak is the humble servant?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Who is the “slave of G-d" whose Nanak is the humble servant, as Nanak himself says, I understand, in the following hymn in Granth, please?

nwnk hir jn ky dwsin dwsw ]9]8] (415-19)
naanak har jan kay daasan daasaa. ||9||8||

Nanak is the humble servant of the slave of the Lord's slaves. ||9||8||
PAGE 415 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.
Right, please?

Regards
________
[72:20] وَّ اَنَّہٗ لَمَّا قَامَ عَبۡدُ اللّٰہِ یَدۡعُوۡہُ کَادُوۡا یَکُوۡنُوۡنَ عَلَیۡہِ لِبَدًا ﴿ؕ٪۲۰﴾
And when the Servant of Allah stands up praying to Him, they crowd upon him, well nigh suffocating him.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 72: Al-Jinn

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
They are the slaves YHWH saved from hell.
Yes, Nanak meant he was the slave of the truthful messengers/prophets of G-d/Allah/YHWH whom He had selected for His message to humanity to guide then to Him; like Buddha, Krishna,Zoroaster, Moses, Socrates,Jesus and Muhammad. I agree with one. Right, please?

Regards

Muffled

Jesus in me
Who is the “slave of G-d" whose Nanak is the humble servant, as Nanak himself says, I understand, in the following hymn in Granth, please?

nwnk hir jn ky dwsin dwsw ]9]8] (415-19)
naanak har jan kay daasan daasaa. ||9||8||

Nanak is the humble servant of the slave of the Lord's slaves. ||9||8||
PAGE 415 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.
Right, please?

Regards
________
[72:20] وَّ اَنَّہٗ لَمَّا قَامَ عَبۡدُ اللّٰہِ یَدۡعُوۡہُ کَادُوۡا یَکُوۡنُوۡنَ عَلَیۡہِ لِبَدًا ﴿ؕ٪۲۰﴾
And when the Servant of Allah stands up praying to Him, they crowd upon him, well nigh suffocating him.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 72: Al-Jinn

I believe I am one but I don't have any slaves.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, Nanak meant he was the slave of the truthful messengers/prophets of G-d/Allah/YHWH whom He had selected for His message to humanity to guide then to Him; like Buddha, Krishna,Zoroaster, Moses, Socrates,Jesus and Muhammad. I agree with one. Right, please?

Regards

I believe you should show context to support that interpretation. There is none in the verse in the OP.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I wasn't under the impression that the Sikhs had a hieirarchy. I do know that hey believe one must have a guru to explore the spirit journey.
They had their ten gurus. The tenth guru decided that their sacred book is enough of a teaching, and therefore declared that there will be no more gurus. Of course, holy men can be there and one can benefit from what they say - But, no Guru anymore - other than the book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib being brought to the Golden temple from where it is kept in the night. A similar ceremony takes place in the evening when the book is taken to where it is during the night (Palki Sahib).

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
They had their ten gurus. The tenth guru decided that their sacred book is enough of a teaching, and therefore declared that there will be no more gurus. Of course, holy men can be there and one can benefit from what they say - But, no Guru anymore - other than the book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib being brought to the Golden temple from where it is kept in the night. A similar ceremony takes place in the evening when the book is taken to where it is during the night (Palki Sahib).

" They had their ten gurus."

Just to correct one, Nanak did not claim to be Guru, as I understand and Nanak believed that only G-d was his Guru and none else.
Angad was a self-assumed "guru" with others that followed Angad. As Angad was an un-authorized "guru" so was the one who made the corrupted Granth a guru, I understand. How could a corrupted Granth , by Angad and his associates, become Guru of the innocent Sikhs who have no hand in this corruption as I understand, please? Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe in the sense of a messenger of God then it made sense that God could decide there had been enough of them. Hopefully they were all legitimate. The Catholic church more or less had that view about Popes but there were some who were sinful and hardly likely to fit the image that the church had of the papacy.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just a people say that their books are inspired by God or Allah, one can surely say that the Sikh gurus also were inspired by a God, though Guru Nanak was a monist. Sikh Gurus were universally respected in their time not just by Sikhs but Hindus and Muslims. They are respected even now.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Just a people say that their books are inspired by God or Allah, one can surely say that the Sikh gurus also were inspired by a God, though Guru Nanak was a monist. Sikh Gurus were universally respected in their time not just by Sikhs but Hindus and Muslims. They are respected even now.

I would have to read each one (a monumental project) and let the Holy Spirit guide me as to whether they deserved their reputations.