• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Jesus to you?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
In effect, I see Christ as an avatar of Vishnu. I do not see him as a failed messiah, but rather, as one who left unfinished business.

To me, the "Christ" and "Avatar" are two different words for the same reality:
That is interesting. I think the way modern Christianity uses the word Christ it is very much like Avatar. But I think the more original meaning of the word was the opposite. Avatar is about the Divine coming down into flesh, but the original meaning of Christ was about flesh becoming divine.

Just interesting.

lukethethird

unknown member
For me Jesus is of great importance. I do not think of Jesus as a man who lived 2000 years ago. I think of him as a man living today. His names not Jesus. He doesn’t preach. I think of Jesus as a regular man with one extraordinary gift that no one else possesses. In this sense religion is real for me. Something I can actually relate to. Something that is in the present.
Jesus was a figment of the imagination of unknown authors from our ancient past and nothing to get excited about.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I believe that if a man named Jesus existed, then he was merely a mortal man and a popular religious teacher who was elevated to a divine status by his devout followers through embellished stories and myths adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan myths that they were familiar with.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Jesus probably popularized the concepts of mercy, repentance and forgiveness which resonated with a very large number of people throughout history. Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you are his signature teachings. Jesus may have been a real person but it's hard to tell. Those themes that Jesus taught had a very profound impact.

I'm convinced Jesus is mostly mythological even if he was a real person. However the Bible was written to be taken literally, and as literal history.

I think it's apart of human nature for many to feel that people are not faultless, and that sin is a human condition. For me I think all humans are seriously fallible and not everyone is sinful. Certainly good and evil throughout history has been at work.

I think science and democracy have done way more for humanity then Jesus. Whatever way a person looks at it, Jesus had a profound impact on many, many people. In some ways it was okay, but not all. Religion is an important lesson in the evolution of humanity. I would not be one to take any of it as absolute truth. There's no evidence for a supernatural resurrection. It's good for me to dismiss Jesus as truth, but the themes of Jesus' teachings are very important.

Personally I think humanity should embrace the fact of our error prone fallibility. Through trial and error with a total commitment to discovering truth in virtue humanity can learn well beyond what Jesus taught. The Greeks had a major positive impact on humanity moreso than Jesus. There's a lot to learn from the Bible some of it good, and a lot of it bad, all of it is human perception.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is you that gives Him such authority, and only because you are a believer of everything you read in that book , and all because someone told you it's all true.
I believe I can't give Him what God gives Him but I can give Him authority over my life. I believe what I read in the book because God affirms it. I don't remember anyone stating the Bible is true but certainly it should have been apparent that they believed so and I never asked why.

Lotus Jewel

Student of the Shakyamuni
Basically, I see Jesus as an attempted Jewish reformer, possibly a mystic, and to an extent an apocalyptic preacher. Though I wonder in what context it should be acknowledged that Jesus was an apocalyptic preacher.

I think he had some very high societal ideals in many ways and was in some respects a man ahead of his time.

I don't personally connect with the strongly theistic nature of much of his message, naturally, and I acknowledge that his message was strongly theistic and God-oriented.

Ultimately, I don't personally attempt to reinvent Jesus and claim him for my Buddhist practice. I'm a Buddhist, and not a Christian. I have a distant mild fascination for Jesus as someone belonging to a tradition not my own.

Last edited:

Tinkerpeach

For me Jesus is of great importance. I do not think of Jesus as a man who lived 2000 years ago. I think of him as a man living today. His names not Jesus. He doesn’t preach. I think of Jesus as a regular man with one extraordinary gift that no one else possesses. In this sense religion is real for me. Something I can actually relate to. Something that is in the present.
To me He is God. He guides me and protects me and is also my friend, I have a personal relationship with Him.

Everyday He is a part of my life and I thank Him for the salvation he offered me which I gladly accept. I have witnessed Him do miraculous things in my life and as such I give my complete loyalty to Him.

He is the single most important thing in my life, beyond friends or family or material goods.

Whateverist

Not a useful marker in regard to the sacred for me. But, hey, whatever gets you there. Your solution doesn’t need to be everyone else's. And if that is a problem for you that needn’t be a problem for anyone else. Have it your way.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To me He is God. He guides me and protects me and is also my friend, I have a personal relationship with Him.

Everyday He is a part of my life and I thank Him for the salvation he offered me which I gladly accept. I have witnessed Him do miraculous things in my life and as such I give my complete loyalty to Him.

He is the single most important thing in my life, beyond friends or family or material goods.
Regards

vulcanlogician

I heard a quote once that went something like: "Jesus just isn't some guy that lived two thousand years ago. He is a homeless child who is hungry right now."

I wish I could repeat the quote verbatim, but I can't. All I know is that it resonated with me.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I heard a quote once that went something like: "Jesus just isn't some guy that lived two thousand years ago. He is a homeless child who is hungry right now."

I wish I could repeat the quote verbatim, but I can't. All I know is that it resonated with me.
I believe that would come from Mat 25.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Who is Jesus to you?

paarsurrey said:#22

To me:
Jesus/Yeshua a truthful prophet of G-d and the truthful Israelite Messiah, I love him, right?
Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah cannot be G-d, he was son of Mary who was never a wife unto god, right?
Friends @Muffled #28, #37,@Tinkerpeach #32

Jesus/Yeshua - the truthful Israelite Messiah was an Israelite (aka Jew) and he followed in the Word of G-d given to Moses (aka Torah), right?
He is reported to have claimed to be "Son of God" (not by him in first person but by anonymous narrators in third person) in the sense it was usually used in the Torah ( aka OT), right?
Which, therefore, only meant:
  1. being loved by "G-d"-('the-father')/Allah/YHVH or
  2. a chosen one (Messenger/Prophet)of Him, right?
It is ,therefore, wrong to take "son of god" in physical terms, right?
It is out of context that the Christianity people, all 45000+ denominations (including JWs and LDS ), if they take it in physical and or literal terms , right?
Isn't it an accusation against Yeshua that he was "son of god", right??

Regards

Last edited:

Jedster

@Moon

I don't know whether Jesus existed or not.
Growing up in a Jewish community in a Christian country makes me wish that, if he did exist, he wouldn't have mentioned the Torah. I was attacked more than once for killing him.
Having said that, I did revere Jesus, as a past avatar, for a some years when I was following Bhakti path(which I eventually left).