• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Christian?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The longer I live my life this question seems to become far more encompassing, far more inclusive than what people typical envision. The typical response will be that to be a Christian one must believe certain core beliefs, the acceptance of certain religious authorities, belief in the scriptures, certain cultural values, certain religious observations, practices, and the like, all followed to one various degree or flavor of the same basic thing. I would argue on the other hand that as Jesus himself said, "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Jesus was not a Christian. Jesus did not follow Christianity. Jesus did not teach Christianity. Jesus followed God. Jesus taught the way of Love, the way of the Father. Jesus did not teach a religion. He taught what is to be a child of God, as he lived. "Follow me", is to follow the way of Love. It does not mean "Believe in these religious beliefs". It means believe in Love. Follow Love. Let Love lead you into all truth. And that truth is not church doctrines. "Whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother". Not whoever follows and believes in the right religion, the right set of beliefs.

Anyone, regardless of their differing beliefs, their differing practices, their differing theologies, or their differing religions, if they "Do the will of my Father in heaven", is a follower of Jesus. Regardless if they believe in him theologically. A follower of Christ, is one who loves his neighbor as himself. A follow of Christ chooses compassion over judgement. A follower of Christ loves the world as God loves the world. Christian in name has zero value. Someone can be a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, and Buddhist, and if they live with that Love, even if they never religiously accept various traditional Christian theologies and teachings, they already are and have been a follower of Christ, a follower of Love.

To me, it is far better to look at the heart and soul and spirit of another and recognize that "Spirit of Christ" in them, than to judge on what they believe or claim. I can see in many atheists the Spirit of Christ, whereas they would never claim any sort of religious beliefs. Yet they are more "Christian" than a very great many Christians. I see in many Buddhists they follow the way of Jesus, while never claiming religious beliefs in him; nor would that be necessary for them to do so if they are already living it in how they approach things. And so forth.

I have said for a long time, "It is better to call Jesus brother than to call him Lord". And this is why. If you can call him brother, then you are equally walking that path of Love, and it is irrelevant how you think or believe about theological questions, or the various rites and rituals you choose to help you serve Ultimate Truth, or God. To make it about the right beliefs and teachings to follow, is to miss the path altogether. To make it about Love is to see it and walk it, regardless of which walking stick you carry with you. To follow Love is to follow Jesus, regardless if someone ever even hears that name, they already know him and are his brother - and they his. To judge them, is to judge the brothers and sisters and mothers of Jesus himself.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The longer I live my life this question seems to become far more encompassing, far more inclusive than what people typical envision. The typical response will be that to be a Christian one must believe certain core beliefs, the acceptance of certain religious authorities, belief in the scriptures, certain cultural values, certain religious observations, practices, and the like, all followed to one various degree or flavor of the same basic thing. I would argue on the other hand that as Jesus himself said, "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Jesus was not a Christian. Jesus did not follow Christianity. Jesus did not teach Christianity. Jesus followed God. Jesus taught the way of Love, the way of the Father. Jesus did not teach a religion. He taught what is to be a child of God, as he lived. "Follow me", is to follow the way of Love. It does not mean "Believe in these religious beliefs". It means believe in Love. Follow Love. Let Love lead you into all truth. And that truth is not church doctrines. "Whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother". Not whoever follows and believes in the right religion, the right set of beliefs.

Anyone, regardless of their differing beliefs, their differing practices, their differing theologies, or their differing religions, if they "Do the will of my Father in heaven", is a follower of Jesus. Regardless if they believe in him theologically. A follower of Christ, is one who loves his neighbor as himself. A follow of Christ chooses compassion over judgement. A follower of Christ loves the world as God loves the world. Christian in name has zero value. Someone can be a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, and Buddhist, and if they live with that Love, even if they never religiously accept various traditional Christian theologies and teachings, they already are and have been a follower of Christ, a follower of Love.

To me, it is far better to look at the heart and soul and spirit of another and recognize that "Spirit of Christ" in them, than to judge on what they believe or claim. I can see in many atheists the Spirit of Christ, whereas they would never claim any sort of religious beliefs. Yet they are more "Christian" than a very great many Christians. I see in many Buddhists they follow the way of Jesus, while never claiming religious beliefs in him; nor would that be necessary for them to do so if they are already living it in how they approach things. And so forth.

I have said for a long time, "It is better to call Jesus brother than to call him Lord". And this is why. If you can call him brother, then you are equally walking that path of Love, and it is irrelevant how you think or believe about theological questions, or the various rites and rituals you choose to help you serve Ultimate Truth, or God. To make it about the right beliefs and teachings to follow, is to miss the path altogether. To make it about Love is to see it and walk it, regardless of which walking stick you carry with you. To follow Love is to follow Jesus, regardless if someone ever even hears that name, they already know him and are his brother - and they his. To judge them, is to judge the brothers and sisters and mothers of Jesus himself.
I agree, except that to love like God loves the world is not easy. It is to be learned. God is love, says The Lord. To think that you know love is to think that you know God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree, except that to love like God loves the world is not easy.
:) Exactly! Jesus said the way is narrow and few there are that find it. This is what that means.

It is to be learned. God is love, says The Lord. To think that you know love is to think that you know God.
I say it's already fully within us to Love as God is. It's getting our ideas about what we think out of the way to simply allow God is what is hard, narrow, and few who find it. Being religious is often a way to tell ourselves we're on that path, when it itself is avoiding it. Jesus taught this as well, in so many words. "Not my will, but thine be done". Not my ideas about God, not my beliefs about God, but God himself - Love.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Jesus was not a Christian for a very good reason.
There were NO Christians then. Duh!
A Christian is a follower of Christ and His teachings.
Christ didn't follow Himself now did He?
Christ taught about His Father.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus was not a Christian for a very good reason.
There were NO Christians then. Duh!
A Christian is a follower of Christ and His teachings.
Christ didn't follow Himself now did He?
Christ taught about His Father.
How do YOU follow this? Matthew 25:1-13

jeager106

Premium Member
I go out in the dark with a flashlight.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Whatever they were.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I go out in the dark with a flashlight.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Whatever they were.
What I mean is that Jesus said many things to get people to think along a new line. You say, "a Christian is a follower of Christ's teachings". All of them? How do you follow his parables?

What does, "follow" mean to you?

verb (used with object)
to come after in sequence, order of time, etc.:
The speech follows the dinner.
to go or come after; move behind in the same direction:
Drive ahead, and I'll follow you.
to accept as a guide or leader; accept the authority of or giveallegiance to:
Many Germans followed Hitler.
to conform to, comply with, or act in accordance with; obey:
to follow orders; to follow advice.
to imitate or copy; use as an exemplar:
They follow the latest fads.
to move forward along (a road, path, etc.):
Follow this road for a mile.
to come after as a result or consequence; result from:
Reprisals often follow victory.

jeager106

Premium Member
Quit it Savage.
You are complicating the *ell out of "follow".
My interpretation is follow His teachings and His greatest suggestion to simply
"Love one another as I have loved you".
If all humans did that we'd not have terrorism or any crimes against one another.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quit it Savage
You are becoming a Jehovah's Witness imho.
You are complicating the *ell out of "follow".
My interpretation is follow His teachings and His greatest suggestion to simply
"Love one another as I have loved you".
If all humans did that we'd not have terrorism or any crimes against one another.
OK. People know about love. Don't they? Why Jesus? A person need not be Christian to love.

jeager106

Premium Member
You are becoming a Jehovah's Witness imho.

OK. People know about love. Don't they? Why Jesus? A person need not be Christian to love.

Your opinion is worth what opinions always are.
When I speak of love and Christianity I refer to agape love.
Universal love for others.
And you are quite correct. Love need not be connected to religion at all.
In the agape sense I love you. Really more than you know or I should explain here.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I speak of love and Christianity I refer to agape love.
Universal love for others.
And you are quite correct. Love need not be connected to religion at all.
And that's what Jesus taught. He often chastised the religious who sat in judgement of others whom they thought were not truly serving God, not "true Christians", in the modern sense of the word. He hit them hard as he said, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you!" To put a modern spin on it, "Truly I tell you Atheists and Muslims and Buddhists and all those else whom you judge as 'lost' are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you." It's not the beliefs and affiliations that sets one apart in the eyes of God, but the heart of Love. One can fake religion, but one cannot fake Love. "By their fruits you shall know them".

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Yet they are more "Christian" than a very great many Christians.
You've understood what Yeshua taught in the Synoptic Gospels; yet Christianity is established on the writings of John, Paul and Simon the stone (petros).

Christianity is a term that came after his death, and is all about believing in his death and resurrection (death Gospel); not about believing in his teachings (living Gospel).

The original followers of his teachings, were called 'Followers of the Way' or in my opinion Ebionites (Poor Ones), as they believed by giving up wealth, and following the commandments, you gained eternal life, as he taught.:innocent:

meghanwaterlillies

You've understood what Yeshua taught in the Synoptic Gospels; yet Christianity is established on the writings of John, Paul and Simon the stone (petros).

Christianity is a term that came after his death, and is all about believing in his death and resurrection (death Gospel); not about believing in his teachings (living Gospel).

The original followers of his teachings, were called 'Followers of the Way' or in my opinion Ebionites (Poor Ones), as they believed by giving up wealth, and following the commandments, you gained eternal life, as he taught.:innocent:
"Christianity is a term that came after his death, and is all about believing in his death and resurrection (death Gospel); not about believing in his teachings (living Gospel)... "
I actually that isn't always more so stereotype, because I do believe in His teachings too.
I call myself Christian I don't use any other definition to describe it than, but I'll call my self ******* j a c k a s s if it meets those two special requirements you listed.
Don't you cut me off of the Living Tree now! And you don't have to be the opinion or ebionite.
LOL

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And that's what Jesus taught. He often chastised the religious who sat in judgement of others whom they thought were not truly serving God, not "true Christians", in the modern sense of the word. He hit them hard as he said, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you!" To put a modern spin on it, "Truly I tell you Atheists and Muslims and Buddhists and all those else whom you judge as 'lost' are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you." It's not the beliefs and affiliations that sets one apart in the eyes of God, but the heart of Love. One can fake religion, but one cannot fake Love. "By their fruits you shall know them".

' heart of love ' because out of the 'heart's abundance' the mouth speaks - Mark 7:18-20; Mark 7:21-23; Luke 6:45-46