• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which school of Buddhism is for me?

sthpawil

Hello to all,

During the past couple of years I have had a growing interest in Buddhism. During the past few months this interest has become much stronger. I am interested in visiting a Buddhist Temple but I am not sure which one I should go to. I live near Chicago and there are several temples in the area. I would like some help determining which school of Buddhism aligns best with my beliefs.

I do not believe in God, a god, spirits, or any sort of afterlife.

My thoughts on reincarnation are that we are "reborn" every moment until, if we are fortunate enough, we attain total enlightenment. Reincarnation is based upon our thoughts, words, and actions.

My thoughts on karma are that positive thoughts, words, and actions allow us to progress towards total enlightenment while negative thoughts, words, and actions will cause us to regress.

Which school of Buddhism do you think I should pursue?

Thank you!

Taahir

Just out of curiosity, with no God or anything like that, what causes or designed the concept of reincarnation you have?

sthpawil

Just out of curiosity, with no God or anything like that, what causes or designed the concept of reincarnation you have?
As dyanaprajna2011 clarified, reincarnation is a religious belief of Hinduism. Thank you for that - I will remember to use "rebirth" from now on when speaking of Buddhism.

To be clear, I believe that we only live one physical life and there is no afterlife of any sort - physical, spiritual, etc. When we die, that is it.

To me, being "reborn" in a positive sense is the mental impact on yourself that occurs when you think, say, or do something which positively impacts someone (including yourself) or something.

On the contrary, being "reborn" in a negative sense is the mental impact on yourself that occurs when you think, say, or do something which negatively impacts someone (including yourself) or something.

I would compare a major "rebirth" to an "ah-ha moment". A point when you gain a clear understanding of something; the moment when you "get it".

The universe and everything in it is in a constant state of change, or rebirth. Although much of this change is undetectable from one moment to the next, it is still occurring. For example, the tectonic plates are in a constant state of motion but we rarely think about them or take notice of them until there is an earthquake. Likewise, on a daily basis we don't take notice of the water eroding Niagara Falls, yet it currently erodes approximately 12 inches of rock per year.

Such is our own constant state of change, or "rebirth". We rarely take notice of the little things that we do which seem so insignificant but in reality they do all add up. We recreate ourselves with each thought, word, and action (either positively or negatively). Therefore, we are in a constant state of "rebirth". To me, "Enlightenment" is achieving a mental state in which negativity of any form ceases to exist.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think you would like reading some of Buddhadasa's teachings. That said, I say try looking into Theravada or Zen.

sthpawil

I think you would like reading some of Buddhadasa's teachings. That said, I say try looking into Theravada or Zen.

DF - thank you for recommending Buddhadasa. Based upon some quick research, my initial thoughts are that his teachings sit very well with me. :trampo:

Taahir

Reincarnation is a Hindu concept. Buddhists believe in rebirth, which was taught solely by the Buddha.

Ah, ok, thank you for correcting me brother.

As dyanaprajna2011 clarified, reincarnation is a religious belief of Hinduism. Thank you for that - I will remember to use "rebirth" from now on when speaking of Buddhism.

To be clear, I believe that we only live one physical life and there is no afterlife of any sort - physical, spiritual, etc. When we die, that is it.

To me, being "reborn" in a positive sense is the mental impact on yourself that occurs when you think, say, or do something which positively impacts someone (including yourself) or something.

On the contrary, being "reborn" in a negative sense is the mental impact on yourself that occurs when you think, say, or do something which negatively impacts someone (including yourself) or something.

I would compare a major "rebirth" to an "ah-ha moment". A point when you gain a clear understanding of something; the moment when you "get it".

The universe and everything in it is in a constant state of change, or rebirth. Although much of this change is undetectable from one moment to the next, it is still occurring. For example, the tectonic plates are in a constant state of motion but we rarely think about them or take notice of them until there is an earthquake. Likewise, on a daily basis we don't take notice of the water eroding Niagara Falls, yet it currently erodes approximately 12 inches of rock per year.

Such is our own constant state of change, or "rebirth". We rarely take notice of the little things that we do which seem so insignificant but in reality they do all add up. We recreate ourselves with each thought, word, and action (either positively or negatively). Therefore, we are in a constant state of "rebirth". To me, "Enlightenment" is achieving a mental state in which negativity of any form ceases to exist.

Ok, I think I see what you're saying now. Interesting concept. Thank you for explaining.