• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion is the greatest threat to secularism?

Which of these options is the greatest threat to secularism in your opinion

• Catholicism

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Islam

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Protestantism

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Judaism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm especially wanting to hear from people who promote or favor secularism. Which of the choices in the Poll would you consider the greatest threat to secularism? (in your opinion).

None of the choices in my opinion.

In the end, Faith in and the laws of God will permeate the thoughts and intent of all of mankind. Our earthly rule will become heavenly.

Regards Tony

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I think it's also the greatest threat to religion.

Religion is it's own greatest threat, because of the concept of Dharma "Dharma protects those that protect Dharma"

Lawyer drags Catholics to court
By Niels KalkmanVandaag, 5:30 in the Netherlands

The well-known criminal lawyer made an attempt to label the Roman Catholic Church as a criminal organization. In 2012, however, he was told that he was not admissible, because he himself had never been abused and as a non-victim also had no role in any case. ,, I then started looking, "says the Utrecht lawyer at De Telegraaf. "To a victim on whose behalf I can do the case."

He has now found it: a victim of abuse within the Catholic Church reported to Boone, and within two weeks a letter will be sent to the Public Prosecutor in which the victim and the lawyer will ask for an investigation - and ultimately prosecution. ,, I see the church as a criminal network in which proven wrongs, child abuse, are concealed. The pope is the boss of the network and the bishops are the members. It is punishable to conceal a crime that you could have prevented or could help solve. The Pope has admitted that he knew about the large-scale abuse. He is therefore punishable ", says the lawyer.
Pope

Boone wants, if the Public Prosecutor now starts an investigation, eventually even the Pope will come to the Netherlands to be sued. There he is going to get a big deal because the Pope, as head of state of the Vatican City, is inviolable. ,, We will hear that again ", Boone battles that objection. "Who has determined that such a man is inviolable?" He asks himself. "A leader of a pedo network in the Netherlands can spend years in the cell. Why not he? "He makes the bold comparison between terrorist organization Islamic State and the Catholic Church. "If IS commits criminal offenses in the Netherlands, they are also prosecuted. Then why not the church? "

Boone can understand that there is resistance to his plan. "How it is with that inviolability, we have to see by then. If the judge finally says 'that Boone is not good at his head to ask for this, but he is right' we have already won a world. "In two weeks, Boone says, the Public Prosecution Service can expect his letter.

Google translated from Dutch article: Advocaat sleept Katholieken voor de rechter

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Islam is the greatest threat to secularism of those listed because a lot of Islamic laws are based on the Qur'an and Hadith. Also in some nations of the world Islam is the state religion.

In the long run, the Baha'i Faith is the greatest threat to secularism because I believe it will take root in the world and the world will be run by laws from the Aqdas and the Universal House of Justice

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Religion is it's own greatest threat, because of the concept of Dharma "Dharma protects those that protect Dharma"
]

Depends on how we define religion, but as you know dharmic religions are in a differing paradigm that Abrahamic ones, for the most part. Barely even fits the definition 'religion'.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Lawyer drags Catholics to court
By Niels KalkmanVandaag, 5:30 in the Netherlands

The well-known criminal lawyer made an attempt to label the Roman Catholic Church as a criminal organization. In 2012, however, he was told that he was not admissible, because he himself had never been abused and as a non-victim also had no role in any case. ,, I then started looking, "says the Utrecht lawyer at De Telegraaf. "To a victim on whose behalf I can do the case."

He has now found it: a victim of abuse within the Catholic Church reported to Boone, and within two weeks a letter will be sent to the Public Prosecutor in which the victim and the lawyer will ask for an investigation - and ultimately prosecution. ,, I see the church as a criminal network in which proven wrongs, child abuse, are concealed. The pope is the boss of the network and the bishops are the members. It is punishable to conceal a crime that you could have prevented or could help solve. The Pope has admitted that he knew about the large-scale abuse. He is therefore punishable ", says the lawyer.
Pope

Boone wants, if the Public Prosecutor now starts an investigation, eventually even the Pope will come to the Netherlands to be sued. There he is going to get a big deal because the Pope, as head of state of the Vatican City, is inviolable. ,, We will hear that again ", Boone battles that objection. "Who has determined that such a man is inviolable?" He asks himself. "A leader of a pedo network in the Netherlands can spend years in the cell. Why not he? "He makes the bold comparison between terrorist organization Islamic State and the Catholic Church. "If IS commits criminal offenses in the Netherlands, they are also prosecuted. Then why not the church? "

Boone can understand that there is resistance to his plan. "How it is with that inviolability, we have to see by then. If the judge finally says 'that Boone is not good at his head to ask for this, but he is right' we have already won a world. "In two weeks, Boone says, the Public Prosecution Service can expect his letter.

Google translated from Dutch article: Advocaat sleept Katholieken voor de rechter
The reason the whole Catholic Church cannot be prosecuted is because 98% of priests do not commit those acts. There is a higher percentage of school teachers that molest children. We can't blame the schools.

The Catholic church does not in any way approve of priests committing sins against Chasity. The Catholic Church strictly forbids it. There is nothing in the Catholic teachings which promote such sick deeds, and so it is roughly 2% of clergy in the church who are at fault , not the church as a whole.

Not really. There are people with religious beliefs who support secular law (in fact the majority of secularists are religious), sure, but secularism has just one tenant: Separation of religious institutions from civil government. Religions need a series of tenets to operate. Otherwise any single principal could be a religion and that just dilutes the term into meaninglessness.

So, secularism is seperation of religious ideas from government. But....then securalism has its own ideas and they dont seperate those ideas from government.

So....why should religions ideas be seperated from government but secular ideas should not?

Doesent that start off with the assumption that securlar ideas are right and religious ideas are wrong?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So, secularism is seperation of religious ideas from government. But....then securalism has its own ideas and they dont seperate those ideas from government.

So....why should religions ideas be seperated from government but secular ideas should not?

Doesent that start off with the assumption that securlar ideas are right and religious ideas are wrong?
Secularism has no other ideas other than separation of religious institutions from government. Individual secularists have a number of different ideas on governing. The only thing they have in common is governing should not be done by religious institutions in the name of religion.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
To me, the biggest threat to a secular society is any form of religion or irreligion that becomes state-sponsored, be it Roman Paganism, Christianity, Islam, The Bahá’í Faith, Hinduism, Buddhism, Atheism, or even Shinto. The government should be absolutely impartial concerning these matters.

Secularism has no other ideas other than separation of religious institutions from government. Individual secularists have a number of different ideas on governing. The only thing they have in common is governing should not be done by religious institutions in the name of religion.

Ok....so, why DOES secularism have the idea of seperating religion from government?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok....so, why DOES secularism have the idea of seperating religion from government?
Depends on which secularists you're asking. reasons range from those of the US founding fathers to anti-religious to Christian secularists like JWs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
All religions are intolerant, to a greater or lesser extent of anyone not of their faith.

I think every religion has at some time or other had wars and/ or committed inhuman atrocities against others not of their faith.

Secularism is just another target

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Along with peoples wallets.
Man's own ignorance, in many ways other than religion, is the biggest threat to his wallet. Spending $300 to watch other people play sports comes to mind. I've always had spending under control, so when I hear middle class or rich people complaining how broke they are, it's an eye roll on this side. uhhh... Don't buy it.

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
If you mean the most likely to destroy secularism by evangelizing skeptics, then probably Catholicism due to their shear numbers.

If you mean the most likely to destroy secularism by a murder-kill-death scenario, probably Islam.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm especially wanting to hear from people who promote or favor secularism. Which of the choices in the Poll would you consider the greatest threat to secularism? (in your opinion).

I'm stuck between Catholicism and protestantism. I think Catholics are more passive about it. Evangelist protestants are not. Don't know about the rest.

Secularism is put down so much that I'd wonder which religions help support it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually given that secularism isn't really a religion, nobody's going to really be able to say it's threatened whatsoever.

Don't know about that. If I were a secular and a christian wants to make our government christian, my worldview would be threatened if not taken out of the picture. That's what they want, really. Everyone follow god

Depends on which secularists you're asking. reasons range from those of the US founding fathers to anti-religious to Christian secularists like JWs.

I gauss the way im looking at this is to ignor the word religion and secular and just pay attention to IDEAS. To peer at the idea and see if one is better then the other. Everything else is NOISE.