• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion is the greatest threat to secularism?

Which of these options is the greatest threat to secularism in your opinion

• Catholicism

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Islam

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Protestantism

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Judaism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In America, that would be the protestant fundamentalists.
Actually, I don't think so.

Protestant fundamentalists can't really agree on much. So they tend to oppose each other.

There are definitely some protestant fundamentalists who believe that their interpretation of Scripture should be law. But not all that many. Because other fundamentalists, who vote, also think that they are doing God's will.

Christians tend to oppose each other. That is very different from autocratic Muslim governments who tend to kill people who disagree with them.

Such as Kashoggi. Or Raif.
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Actually, I don't think so.

Protestant fundamentalists can't really agree on much. So they tend to oppose each other.

There are definitely some protestant fundamentalists who believe that their interpretation of Scripture should be law. But not all that many. Because other fundamentalists, who vote, also think that they are doing God's will.

Christians tend to oppose each other. That is very different from autocratic Muslim governments who tend to kill people who disagree with them.

Such as Kashoggi.
Tom

I agree. Globally, it would be Islam. But in America, there are far more Protestants than there are Muslims. So here, it's Protestant fundies who are more problematic towards secularism. Right?

Secular, of course. A religious government would be intolerant of a certain portion of the population, whereas a secular government is tolerant of the entire population.

"Entire" population hey? Are they tolarent of murderers and theives and rapists?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
"Entire" population hey? Are they tolarent of murderers and theives and rapists?
Uh, no.
That would be religious folks. From the Bush Administration invading Iraq to the RCC protecting pedophiles to the Southern Baptist's racism to Creflo Dollar's "Prosperity Gospel",
Christians are good at protecting immoral behavior when it suits them to do so.

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I agree. Globally, it would be Islam. But in America, there are far more Protestants than there are Muslims. So here, it's Protestant fundies who are more problematic towards secularism. Right?
No, that's not right.
Here in the USA there are multiple different versions of Christian believers. No one version can consistently elect a government.

That's rather different from the Muslim majority countries that don't elect the government.
Tom

Uh, no.
That would be religious folks. From the Bush Administration invading Iraq to the RCC protecting pedophiles to the Southern Baptist's racism to Creflo Dollar's "Prosperity Gospel",
Christians are good at protecting immoral behavior when it suits them to do so.

Tom

I adhere to religion and i dont promote protecting pedophiles, invading iraq or being greedy.

In fact, if i was in charge id probably make it a law to cut the penus off pedophiles, then burn it so they stay alive, but cant feel pleasure. And would order all troops out of foreign countries and not sure what id do about the prosperity gospel. I know i dont believe in it. But as for policy, that could get tricky with not allowing freedom.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I adhere to religion and i dont promote protecting pedophiles. <snip>

In fact, if i was in charge id probably make it a law to cut the penus off pedophiles, then burn it so they stay alive, but cant feel pleasure. <snip>

Yikes! That's terrible!

Me personally, I am for not treating pedophiles as sub human.

Yikes! That's terrible!

Me personally, I am for not treating pedophiles as sub human.

Well, i agree that they are human, but, i think theres only one cure for it, either they control themselves, dont act on that perverted thought. Which, will they? Im sure some do, but, obviously some dont. So, how do you cure it? Prison? Thats our tax dollars, plus they come out and who knows, they may do it again. So, cut there penus off, that does away with sexual pleasure. They wont have a desire for sex period, let alone rape a child.

And this law proposal would only apply to those pedophiles who ACT on there thoughts and get cought doing so.

Last edited:
A theocratic government would favor the views and desires of those who share the mythological beliefs of those in power, at the expense of those who have different beliefs.

Hmmm....as a believer in the old testament, i think its a bit more complicated then that.

Under the theocrasy at the time period of Moses and isreal, theres verses where new issues arose and complaints voiced and God listened and said the people wer right, then made policy accordingly.

Numbers 27:7

And numbers 36:5 as examples.

The only problem with theocrasy wer "false prophets" speaking in Gods name words that they made up and God did not tell them.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I adhere to religion and i dont promote protecting pedophiles, invading iraq or being greedy.

In fact, if i was in charge id probably make it a law to cut the penus off pedophiles, then burn it so they stay alive, but cant feel pleasure. And would order all troops out of foreign countries and not sure what id do about the prosperity gospel. I know i dont believe in it. But as for policy, that could get tricky with not allowing freedom.

Freedom is a fickle thing some people want to do bad things freely. No current society in existence is truly free.

Troops on foreign soil are sometimes agreements made with other countries to have them there, due to the aggressive nature of their neighbors, and in exchange for something else.

Milton Platt

Hmmm....as a believer in the old testament, i think its a bit more complicated then that.

Under the theocrasy at the time period of Moses and isreal, theres verses where new issues arose and complaints voiced and God listened and said the people wer right, then made policy accordingly.

Numbers 27:7

And numbers 36:5 as examples.

The only problem with theocrasy wer "false prophets" speaking in Gods name words that they made up and God did not tell them.

There has never in the history of recorded civilization been a benificial theocracy. It does not matter what cause you like to put it down to.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I would say Islam because Islamic government still has laws against criticizing the Prophet Muhammad where a person can be executed or in prison for a long time for doing so.

Islam oppresses hundreds of millions of people and has nearly all (if not all )the Dark Aged theocracies in our world. It seems secularism is really thriving in nations with a Christian majority. Secularism is more oppressed and Religion crammed down people's throats in predominantly Islamic countries.

They also have an extremely high birth rate and growing swiftly, and Muslims might usually be peaceful, but there is a threat coming from them more than other religions.

Hi Pope how are you doing?

It’s my own personal view from studying zislam for over 40 years that Islam has made massive contributions to society such as sciences and medicine. Hundreds of millions of people all over the world love following Islam and consider it a privilege and blessing to do so.

This is a Baha’i book about Islamic contributions to society..

http://www.bahaiebooks.org/wp-content/files_flutter/IslamicContributionstoCivilization.epub

Every civilisation and each religion goes through a golden age then withers to be replaced by a newer more relevant teaching. Islamic contributions to society in their golden age were unique.

They created the first constitution which recognised religious minorities, the first universities with degrees, and established the ‘ummah’ or nation state long before America was discovered, Also Muhammad was the very first Prophet to promote freedom of worship and belief which is a cornerstone of every democracy nowadays.

Islamic world contributions to Medieval Europe - Wikipedia

That Islam is in its twilight is no reason not to acknowledge it’s great contributions to us all. Now a new world civilisation is beginning to emerge which is multicultural and world embracing. And so now God has sent us Baha’u’llah to usher in the age of world unity and world citizenship heralding the day of the great peace dreamed of for centuries.

dianaiad

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

The above is one of our Articles of Faith. Indeed, my own belief system cannot exist very well without secularism. you guys go believe and do what you want, as long as what you want doesn't mess US up. We'll try to convert you, but we ain't gonna pass any laws.

....but then I notice that my belief system wasn't represented in the poll choices. ;)

dianaiad

There has never in the history of recorded civilization been a benificial theocracy. It does not matter what cause you like to put it down to.

I might argue with that one, but hey, I won't make you prove a negative. What I CAN say is that every time an 'anti-theocracy,' has been tried (that is, a government which forbade all religion or religious observances) the results have been, in every case I am aware of, considerably less than beneficial. In fact, THOSE governments have been, by far, the most murderous.

As in....body counts in the millions.

Secularism...freedom of religion...has always been the best option.

Freedom is a fickle thing some people want to do bad things freely. No current society in existence is truly free.

Yes, some people want to do bad things freely. Because of those people, its made bad for everyone who wants to be good with there freedom. I resent those people.

However, i also question SOME of this. I think some freedom is robbed not due to NEEDING more laws because of bad people, but due to people in power who want more power and money.

Troops on foreign soil are sometimes agreements made with other countries to have them there, due to the aggressive nature of their neighbors, and in exchange for something else.

True, but, can we save the world when our own country has loads of there own problems?

Your focused only on the symtom, not the cause.

The cause is important.

The reason i believe theocrasy hasnt worked isnt due to it being a "bad idea" but due to LIERS. Liers as in false prophets, like i already mentioned.

Let me illustrate, im sure youl probably agree that communism does not work.

But, again, its not about the symtom, its about the cause. WHY doesnt communism work? The reason isnt because of the idea itself. For the philosophical idea is good.

The reason it dont work is because of too many LAZY people.

Well, likewise with a theocrasy. The problem there is too many liers, too many false prophets. People claiming God says thus, when God never said a word. They do this because there real intent is not to uphold Gods authority but to promote there OWN IDEAS as policy in the theocratic society.

This is why it dont work.

The problem is with how MOST PEOPLE are and there EVIL nature.