• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one is better?

Which is preferable?

• Believing in Christ

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Behaving like Christ

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • I like pie

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Which is better:
A). Believing in Christ as your savior
B). Exhibiting Christ-like behavior
(the rhyming was unintentional.....)

Obviously, most of you would prefer a person to have both. However, one does not always lead to the other.
Given the choice between acting like Christ and believing in Christ, which is preferable?

I'm asking this on other sites as well, just curious about the results.

Bishka

Veteran Member
B. would be the obvious choice, just believe in Christ as your savior will not do anything. We see lots of people out there who believe in Christ as their Savior (Fred Phelps comes to mind as does Martin Luther King Jr.), yet only one of those men exhibited Christ-like behavior. With B, usually comes A, but B is the best one to have IMO.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
beckysoup61 said:
B. would be the obvious choice, just believe in Christ as your savior will not do anything. We see lots of people out there who believe in Christ as their Savior (Fred Phelps comes to mind as does Martin Luther King Jr.), yet only one of those men exhibited Christ-like behavior. With B, usually comes A, but B is the best one to have IMO.
: hamster :

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
If everyone who claimed to beleive in jesus behaved like jesus people like Joel Olsteen, and everyone who gives these bottom feeders their hard earned money, would be living in the streets.

If everyone who beleived in jesus tried with a whole heart and 100% effort to be like jesus then the world would be full of happy, spiritually-satisfied, impoverished people.

standing_alone

Loved the rhyming.

I think Christ-like behavior is more important, as Christ-like behavior is generally accepted as good behavior (Becky's example of Martin Luther King, Jr. is a great one). However, belief in Christ is not necessary for such behavior and I don't like applying the term to people, but that's just my nitpickyness. :D

Christ-like behavior is more important because those who try to follow what is held to be Christ's example are general those who try to make the world a better place and recognize the dignity of each individual. Simple belief in Christ doesn't make this so.

However, I had to choose "I like pie" because, well, I do.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Real Sorceror said:
Which is better:

Obviously, most of you would prefer a person to have both. However, one does not always lead to the other.
Given the choice between acting like Christ and believing in Christ, which is preferable?

This is a really good question, I like it.

Given the choice....and since we have to choose just one, I'll say B...exhibiting Christ-like behavior. As Becky says....plenty of people say they believe in Christ yet their behavior shows nothing of the nature of Christ. Seems like it would be better to act in the way Christ did.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Pardus said:
I find A and B come in conflict with each other.

How so? I've known many people who believe in Christ and who exhibit what's usually considered Christ like behavior. Are you suggesting that they are conflicted?

RevOxley_501

maybe he just thinks that Christians never exhibit the love and compassion, nor wisdom, that christ did...

that seems to be a conflict to me---but a conflict of understanding or deception as opposed to a true conflict in terms

Hacker

Exhibiting his behavior.
Believing that he's your Lord and savior can mean a lot off different things to different people. Believing that he IS God is a very confusing concept but he was very close to it.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I voted that behaving like Christ is better, even though I believe that Christians should do both. But anyone can say that they believe in Christ, but your behavior reflects your beliefs, whether you realize it or not.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Real Sorceror said:
Which is better:

I voted for "exhibiting Christ-like behavior," but I actually think that both of these are not only important, but necessary for the fulness of salvation. It doesn't really matter how any of us voted, though, does it? Which one do you believe God considers to be the most important?

If He were to choose to save only one of the following individuals, which one would He most likely save?

1. The person who believes that Christ is his Savior, but whose life does not reflect that belief.
2. The person to whom the person of Christ means nothing, but who lives a life of service to his fellow men.

I'm thinking He'd save the second person. But, like I said, I think that in actuality, both of these are critical.

P.S. I really, really like pie.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
Kind of hard to compete with a good pecan pie. Does the pie come with coffee or milk? Never mind, it's pie. :sorry1: