• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Old Testament Prophecy Fulfills Luke 24:46-47

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Jesus sits on the Throne of David; in heaven! THE....

2ndpillar
the Holy Church Jesus established On Rock (not sand) will never ever fail! The BODY of Jesus is His One, Holy, Apostolic, Catholic Church! THE...

2ndpillar
the church is in Heaven!
Luke 1:32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,
Isaiah 9:7
Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.
Jesus never ruled anyone -- he did not ever sit in David's throne.

2ndpillar

Isaiah 41:8 clearly, CLEARLY identifies the servant in the book of Isaiah as the People of Israel.

I would suggest you see your optometrist. Isaiah 41:8 clearly identifies one "servant" as Jacob. In Isaiah 20:3, Isaiah is noted as "My servant". In Isaiah 22:20, Eliakim is noted as "My servant". In Isaiah 37:35, David is noted as My servant. Isaiah disparages Judah and Ephraim, "People of Israel", which would be Ephraim/Israel in particular, and Judah, as she was initially under the term of the tribes of Israel. The 10 lost tribes of Israel are now "scattered" among the "nations" (Ezekiel 36).

2ndpillar

I think the key is in the wording:

45 Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

So, it wasn't a specific one but rather a compilation of many "scriptures".

No words in the Law and the prophets states that anyone other than Judah and Ephraim would be revived in the third day. (Hosea 5 & 6:2)

Dogknox20

Jesus never ruled anyone -- he did not ever sit in David's throne.
Acts 13:21 Then the people asked for a king, and he gave them Saul son of Kish, of the tribe of Benjamin, who ruled forty years. 22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’

23 “From this man’s descendants God has brought to Israel the Savior Jesus, as he promised.

Acts 2:29 “Fellow Israelites, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord:
Sit at my right hand
35 until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet
.”

IndigoChild5559

Acts 13:21 Then the people asked for a king, and he gave them Saul son of Kish, of the tribe of Benjamin, who ruled forty years. 22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’

23 “From this man’s descendants God has brought to Israel the Savior Jesus, as he promised.

Acts 2:29 “Fellow Israelites, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord:
Sit at my right hand
35 until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet
.”
None of this contradicts what I said -- that Jesus was never a king over anyone.

IndigoChild5559

I would suggest you see your optometrist. Isaiah 41:8 clearly identifies one "servant" as Jacob. In Isaiah 20:3, Isaiah is noted as "My servant". In Isaiah 22:20, Eliakim is noted as "My servant". In Isaiah 37:35, David is noted as My servant. Isaiah disparages Judah and Ephraim, "People of Israel", which would be Ephraim/Israel in particular, and Judah, as she was initially under the term of the tribes of Israel. The 10 lost tribes of Israel are now "scattered" among the "nations" (Ezekiel 36).
It is not " one servant." The metaphor of the servant runs throughout Isaiah, thus the identification of the servant as Israel in Isaiah 41:8 is the identification for the entire book long metaphor, including in chapter 53. This is just basic reading comprehension.

2ndpillar

It is not " one servant." The metaphor of the servant runs throughout Isaiah, thus the identification of the servant as Israel in Isaiah 41:8 is the identification for the entire book long metaphor, including in chapter 53. This is just basic reading comprehension.

Your "reading comprehension" seems to have left out that Jacob was named Israel. The house of Israel is not Jacob. The house of Israel, the sons of Israel, are but sons of Jacob, and the title of "Israel" today, rests with Ephraim. The whole house of Israel hasn't existed since around the time of David. The identification of Isaiah as "My servant" (Isaiah 28:3) precedes the identification of "My servant" with Jacob. Which is first recognized? I think the sons of Isaiah, the house of Isaiah, can be found in the mix as well. You presuming that Israel is not one servant, is simply that, a presumption which defies the English text below. It could be true, but not by relying on the translation below. The verse identifies Israel with one person, Jacob. Now Isaiah 41 goes on to denigrate Jerusalem, the home of Judah, the Jews, and says, "their works are worthless" (Isaiah 41:27-29). As for Israel of the future, the combined stick of Judah and Eprhaim (Ezekiel 37), they will become the tabernacle of the "LORD", and at that time the LORD will "open up rivers... and put cedars in the dessert" (Isaiah 41:18), they will have new hearts and spirits (Ezekiel 31 & 36).

Isaiah 41:8-10 KJV;
But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend. Thou whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called thee from the chief men thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art my servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away.

Jewish translation: 8 "But you, Isra'el, my servant; Ya'akov, whom I have chosen, descendants of Avraham my friend,
9 I have taken you from the ends of the earth, summoned you from its most distant parts and said to you, 'You are my servant' - I have chosen you, not rejected you.

The gathering of the house of Israel (Judah and Ephraim) from among the nations has not happened as of today, nor have they been given a "new heart". (Ezekiel 3:19-27), and the "nations that are left around about you" do not "know that I am the LORD". (Ezekiel 36:36).

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Your "reading comprehension" seems to have left out that Jacob was named Israel. The house of Israel is not Jacob.
I'm referring to Israel as in those who belong to any of the 12 tribes, aka the People of Israel. Not the house or kingdom--your vocabulary is off. All 12 tribes are the seed of Jacob/Israel, and this is why the People as a whole are known by his name: Israel. The People of Israel are also known as the seed of Abraham.

Isaiah 41:8 But thou, Israel, My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham My friend;

2ndpillar

I'm referring to Israel as in those who belong to any of the 12 tribes, aka the People of Israel. Not the house or kingdom--your vocabulary is off. All 12 tribes are the seed of Jacob/Israel, and this is why the People as a whole are known by his name: Israel. The People of Israel are also known as the seed of Abraham.

Isaiah 41:8 But thou, Israel, My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham My friend;

The whole house of Israel is now split between the "house of Israel" and the "house of Judah" (Jeremiah 31:31). They are two different entities at this time. Judah is of the original whole tribe of Israel. It is now termed the "house of Judah", and while it was originally of the whole house of Israel, it is not considered as Israel, which name was conferred onto Joseph, and then onto Ephraim. The term Israel was initially conferred upon Jacob, and then passed to Joseph and then to Ephraim. Ephraim, the lost 10 tribes, remain "scattered among the nations" (Ezekiel 36). The house of Israel/Ephraim will not be combined with the house of Judah until the end of the age, when they are settled on the land given to Jacob, under the rule of My servant David. (Ezekiel 37). Only recently has Judah and Jerusalem been revived (Joel 3:1) in 1948. Ephraim remains unseen, "scattered among the nations" (Ezekiel 36). Only after the "nations" come under judgment (Joel 3:2 & Daniel 2:45) will Ephraim be gathered from among the nations. Until then, the real house of Israel, will remain scattered among the nations.

IndigoChild5559

The whole house of Israel is now split between the "house of Israel" and the "house of Judah" (Jeremiah 31:31). They are two different entities at this time. Judah is of the original whole tribe of Israel. It is now termed the "house of Judah", and while it was originally of the whole house of Israel, it is not considered as Israel, which name was conferred onto Joseph, and then onto Ephraim. The term Israel was initially conferred upon Jacob, and then passed to Joseph and then to Ephraim. Ephraim, the lost 10 tribes, remain "scattered among the nations" (Ezekiel 36). The house of Israel/Ephraim will not be combined with the house of Judah until the end of the age, when they are settled on the land given to Jacob, under the rule of My servant David. (Ezekiel 37). Only recently has Judah and Jerusalem been revived (Joel 3:1) in 1948. Ephraim remains unseen, "scattered among the nations" (Ezekiel 36). Only after the "nations" come under judgment (Joel 3:2 & Daniel 2:45) will Ephraim be gathered from among the nations. Until then, the real house of Israel, will remain scattered among the nations.
The united kingdom of Israel is split between the house/kingdom of Israel in the north and the house/kingdom of Judah in the south. It is not appropriate to refer to the united kingdom as the house of Israel.

Although the kingdom of Judah primarily contained the tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and Levi, it is also true that refugees from the northern kingdom fled to Judah and became citizens there. So... when Judah went into captivity, it had citizens from every tribe. This is why the word Jew can refer to someone from any tribe.

2ndpillar

The united kingdom of Israel is split between the house/kingdom of Israel in the north and the house/kingdom of Judah in the south. It is not appropriate to refer to the united kingdom as the house of Israel.

Although the kingdom of Judah primarily contained the tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and Levi, it is also true that refugees from the northern kingdom fled to Judah and became citizens there. So... when Judah went into captivity, it had citizens from every tribe. This is why the word Jew can refer to someone from any tribe.

The house of Judah also includes Benjamin, such as in the original king of Israel, Saul, from the tribe of Benjamin, and the Levites, who had no inheritance, and were the Tempe priests, and lived off 10% tithes versus land inheritance. The "whole house of Israel" is projected into the future when the house of Judah will reunite with the house of Israel/Ephraim (Ezekiel 37:11 & 19). Jews/Judah calling themselves Israel, rather than a tribe of the whole house of Israel, is what is called expropriation, which is a common play of "Christians", whether calling themselves Israel, and even sometimes Judah, since they think Judah is to eventually to have a winning hand. Notwithstanding, both Judah and Ephriam are still under judgment (Hosea 5 & 6). While Israel/Ephraim remains "scattered" among the "nations"/gentiles, as well as some of Judah, it is more likely that a Gentile will be of Israel, than a Jew being from the tribe of Israel/Ephraim, the lost 10 northern tribes. In the real sense, Judah is not Israel/Ephraim, and Israel/Ephraim is not Judah. They are two separate houses. Until one understands that, they have little chance of understanding what Ezekiel 37 is talking about, and what is about to come about with respect to the coming judgment of the nations (Joel 3:1-2). The term Jew can be applied to anyone who practices the Jewish religion, or is born of a Jewish woman, according to the present Jewish traditions. They can have a Christian father form the North Pole region, but if their mother is deemed Jewish, they are now considered Jewish. That is really not in the spirit of the bible context, but according to the traditions of men (Jeremiah 8:8).

Tracy

Did Jesus mean, it was written in old testament?
When trying to understand confusing scriptures, it helps to look at context clues.. ( verses before and after ) in this particular scripture we are fortunate to have a very goid INE right before, in verse 45 " Then he opened their minds so they could understand scriptures."...To me, this means he's getting ready to explain what jyst happened.. Who he is, what he just did, what this means to them, etc..if they would have had a specific scripture about his dying and three day resurrection the Holy Spirit might not have had to " open their minds" it would have been literal and clear...the Old Testament prophesy was not that clear, although Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 are pretty clear in retrospect.. This leads me to conclude his statement in verse 46 and 47 were more of a summary of prophesy that he would now explain to rhem...after all, they needed to fully understand to complete their mission.

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
"He told them, "This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."

I scoured the Old Testament looking for a passage(s) saying that the Messiah would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem--and I cannot find it.

Can anyone help me locate this specific prophecy?
First understand this; it is written in the Bible.
" Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a PROPHET mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:"
Jesus knows what will happen in the FUTURE and the Pharisees that want him dead do not.
There is nothing written in the laws of Moses concerning Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Son of God. What is written in Jewish belief is a son of Abraham, a Son of Man, will be their Christ. That military leader will die in battle as a sacrifice in defense of his country in the final war on Earth and in 3 days his position will be replaced by another to take lead of the remaining military as the war continues. That is why God had his son that refused to kill anyone, stay in his grave 3 days before giving him life again so those still alive in the final war after the Son of Man military commander is dead will remember what was written about the Son of Man that killed people and the Son of God that refused to kill people. The merciless son of man is eternally dead and there is no Peace and the worst weapons the world has is not saving anyone. The merciful Son of God is given a new life to live and people will see him when he returns to Earth to rescue his few disciples.
Jesus is the Christ for the entire world accepting all races not just Jews and does not want people to become "spiritual Jews" first making themselves "twofold a child of Hell" according to scripture.
Jesus in his doctrine often made comparisons to his religion and the completely separate religion the Jews supported even back to Moses that wrote the Jewish laws.
Wine is used as a symbolic word for doctrine and we are not to mix the doctrine of Abraham/Moses with the doctrine of Jesus because the true religion will be destroyed if that is done.( which is exactly what Pharisee Paul did, so few find the path to God) The 2 religions do not worship the same God, they do not have the same laws.
The Living God is the Father of Jesus that sent Jesus to the worst religious Mafia the world had seen to stop their child killing, war mongering, money demanding, self exalting, merciless religious beliefs. Those beliefs are rampant today because Jesus left Earth and is not here so the last generation will see what happens when the Son of God is killed for crimes he did not commit
Jesus said, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!”
Jesus knew the Roman court would declare him innocent to be set free because Jesus is innocent even though the Jews tried to stone Jesus to death for what he taught because they refused to believe his doctrine and prophecy. Jesus is "perfected" in that Roman court of Justice based on facts verdict that was righteous, Jesus did nothing worthy of Death and should have been allowed to live. The Romans tried to be merciful to Jesus even after hearing the Jews still demand he die and the Jews refused to allow it threatening a bloody uprising if Jesus was not killed.
Many people that call themselves, "Christians" want to claim only the Romans killed Jesus but we are shown that is not true it was the Jews and the Romans that had Jesus killed. No disciple of Jesus wanted him killed because Jesus wanted mercy and not sacrifice because that is righteous justice. People need to learn that but they do not hear his words. To save the world Jesus needed to continue to live to preach and heal. Now the world has nothing to save it but they will try to save themselves with Lucifer, a nuclear missile.
"And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him." The rulers were the Romans and the chief priests were the leaders of the religion Jesus was destroying by leading people away from belief in Abraham's covenant into the true merciful religion accepted by God.

Last edited:

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
The house of Judah also includes Benjamin, such as in the original king of Israel, Saul, from the tribe of Benjamin, and the Levites, who had no inheritance, and were the Tempe priests, and lived off 10% tithes versus land inheritance. The "whole house of Israel" is projected into the future when the house of Judah will reunite with the house of Israel/Ephraim (Ezekiel 37:11 & 19). Jews/Judah calling themselves Israel, rather than a tribe of the whole house of Israel, is what is called expropriation, which is a common play of "Christians", whether calling themselves Israel, and even sometimes Judah, since they think Judah is to eventually to have a winning hand. Notwithstanding, both Judah and Ephriam are still under judgment (Hosea 5 & 6). While Israel/Ephraim remains "scattered" among the "nations"/gentiles, as well as some of Judah, it is more likely that a Gentile will be of Israel, than a Jew being from the tribe of Israel/Ephraim, the lost 10 northern tribes. In the real sense, Judah is not Israel/Ephraim, and Israel/Ephraim is not Judah. They are two separate houses. Until one understands that, they have little chance of understanding what Ezekiel 37 is talking about, and what is about to come about with respect to the coming judgment of the nations (Joel 3:1-2). The term Jew can be applied to anyone who practices the Jewish religion, or is born of a Jewish woman, according to the present Jewish traditions. They can have a Christian father form the North Pole region, but if their mother is deemed Jewish, they are now considered Jewish. That is really not in the spirit of the bible context, but according to the traditions of men (Jeremiah 8:8).
And Jews do not accept the fact their house is left desolate.
Jesus said, Luke 13: 35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord." Jews will not accept water baptism for their sin removal forsaking the sacrifice of their beloved red cow and belief in the covenant of Abraham, so the majority of Jews will never convert with baptism and say Jesus Christ is the blessed Son of God, their Christ savior. Jews expect their military commander to save them in WW3.

IndigoChild5559

First understand this; it is written in the Bible.
Bur you are quoting from the New Testament. When Jesus said "what is written in the scriptures" there was no New Testament yet, so he wasn't referring to any part of that. The canon that existed at the time of Jesus was the Torah, the Prophets, and some would say the Psalms. So you must look to those books for what Jesus was referring to about the messiah dying and rising from the dead on the third day. Hint -- no such text exists in the Torah and Prophets.

74x12

I think what people are maybe not realizing is how it's in there; but not obvious. Jesus had to explain all the scriptures that were about himself to his disciples. So it's not easy to see many of these prophecies he fulfilled. It's hidden for a reason.

Unbelievers will find it easy to deny; but those who God is with will understand.

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
Bur you are quoting from the New Testament. When Jesus said "what is written in the scriptures" there was no New Testament yet, so he wasn't referring to any part of that. The canon that existed at the time of Jesus was the Torah, the Prophets, and some would say the Psalms. So you must look to those books for what Jesus was referring to about the messiah dying and rising from the dead on the third day. Hint -- no such text exists in the Torah and Prophets.
Prophet.... knowing what will be written and what will happen in the future. Jesus is both a teacher and a Prophet but is not the Son of Man, son of Abraham/David. Jews do not understand Jesus Son of God, the savior that wanted to save Hebrew/Jews by changing their beliefs, or their amazing OT Prophets that had to seal what they said in difficult to understand symbolism to prevent being murdered for their prophecy because what they had to say to Jews about the future would make a man sick to his stomach.

IndigoChild5559

Prophet.... knowing what will be written and what will happen in the future. Jesus is both a teacher and a Prophet but is not the Son of Man, son of Abraham/David. Jews do not understand Jesus Son of God, the savior that wanted to save Hebrew/Jews by changing their beliefs, or their amazing OT Prophets that had to seal what they said in difficult to understand symbolism to prevent being murdered for their prophecy because what they had to say to Jews about the future would make a man sick to his stomach.
So in answer you wrote an entire paragraph, absolutely NONE of which identifies any passage of the Tanakh (OT) that states the messiah will rise from the dead in three days. Hm. Okay.

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
So in answer you wrote an entire paragraph, absolutely NONE of which identifies any passage of the Tanakh (OT) that states the messiah will rise from the dead in three days. Hm. Okay.
Because the scripture does not state where it is written and you want to assume it is written in the Tanakh. I agree it is not written in the Tanakh because Jesus had not been born at that time. However Jews expect a Christ and Jesus is the only Christ Israel is given yet he is rejected by Israel. It was not until after the Hebrews refused to listen to the warnings given them by the prophets that Jesus had to be created in an attempt to lead the Hebrews into the true religion that did not sacrifice innocent children on a burning pile of wood. No religion that sacrificed humans or animals to please a God is the true religion of God no matter how many people believe God desires blood sacrifice, He does not and never did. The Tanakh is a book believed by the lost because they do not know God yet claim they do. Again, human and animal sacrifice is not and never was acceptable to God.

2ndpillar

And Jews do not accept the fact their house is left desolate.
Jesus said, Luke 13: 35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord." Jews will not accept water baptism for their sin removal forsaking the sacrifice of their beloved red cow and belief in the covenant of Abraham, so the majority of Jews will never convert with baptism and say Jesus Christ is the blessed Son of God, their Christ savior. Jews expect their military commander to save them in WW3.

Apparently, Judah, the Jews, along with Ephraim, the lost 10 tribes, will recognize their error after 2000 years, 2 days (Hosea 6:2), and be healed. Israel/Ephraim will also be washed clean (baptized) after they are "gathered" out from the nations (Ezekiel 36:22-26), and be given a new heart and spirit. The day of the "adulteress", the Gentile church, who was bought for the equivalent price of 30 shekels of silver, is limited to "many days" (Hosea 3), whereupon, Israel will return to the "LORD their God" and "David their king".. As for the nations/Gentiles, they have the "day of the LORD" (Joel 2:31-32) to look forward too, whereas they will be judged at the valley of judgment (Har-Magedon) (Joel 3:2 & Revelation 16:16i) following the restoration of Judah and Jerusalem (Joel 3:1), which occurred in 1948. The "LORD" will be the one to "fight" and strike the nations with a plague (Zechariah 14:3 & 12), and create a great earthquake (Zech 14:4 & Revelation 16:18). As far as Judah, the Jews, they "will also fight at Jerusalem" (Zechariah 14:14), and the gold and silver of the nations will be gathered to Jerusalem. As for the survivors among the nations/Gentiles, they will confess that they have inherited nothing but false hood from their fathers (Jeremiah 16:19).