• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Comes First?

Antiochian

Rationalist
One of the neat things about the UU church is that you can profess or belong to more than one religion. That being said, it's a bit confusing for me as well.

For instance, were there to be a major parade in my city (perhaps a lgbt pride parade) and I were invited to march with a UU group and a Wiccan/Pagan group, which group's invite would I accept? I'm equally proud to be UU and Wiccan, though I do consider myself Wiccan first.

Then, there's the question of what you call your faith, if anything. Do you call yourself a UU Wiccan, a Wiccan UU, a UU in some circles and a Wiccan in others, or do you choose to consider yourself a Wiccan and leave it at that, or a UU, not bothering to go into the details of your belief? Of course, this could apply to most any UU, not just Pagans. Would a nontheistic UU at a gay pride parade march with a gay atheist organization or the UUs? Or if you had the choice of tabling at some public event for either an atheist or UU group, what do you choose? So, what comes first--being a UU or being Buddhist, agnostic, Spiritualist, or whatever you specifically consider your beliefs to be? I'm curious.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
It's up to you as to what comes first. You can vary it and sometimes accept one and at other times accept the other. It's a bit similar to getting 2 birthday invites at the same time on the same day

Antiochian

Rationalist
True enough. Coming out of a culture that religiously demands you call yourself one thing or another [you don't often hear of Catholic Methodists or Calvinist Mormons, do you?]. It can take a while to get used to a more fluid and free spirituality. I'm a Wiccan who goes to a UU church. I'm a UU who happens to be a Witch. And I guess I'll march with one group one year and the other the next. :) Guess I figured that out!

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
I think it is important to realize, though, that many people are indeed UUs. (Period.) The unique nature of UU is such that its churches have "big shoulders" - they provide a home for people of many belief systems, not just one. That does prompt a good bit of what you're referring to.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I would say uu comes first because its more ingeneral and broad. Uu can include all of the things you are where as anyone of them might be exclusive

applewuud

What organization do you think has the best chance of making a positive impact on society? March with that one.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
If it's someone outside the Church, I'd say, "I'm a *******, and I go to a Unitarian Universalist Church." And take that chance to explain that a tad as most people you're in that conversation with have enough time and/or care to know what a UU is exactly.

If it's someone IN the Church, I'd tend to just talk about my 'brand', or 'influences', since I'm THERE already and all :D

seeker57

I understand the confusion, Antiochan.

I also am a UU and a Wiccan. Matter of fact, I belong to a coven as well as a UU congregation.

I find they complement each other very well.

The high priestess of our coven was the guest speaker during our UU service last week. She conducted a mini Samhain ritual and provided explanations and insight to the congregation about this Wiccan celebration.

That is the wonderful thing about Unitarian Universalism. We has a Wiccan service last week, the week before that, we celebrated Diwali, which is Hindu, and this week we are slated to have a program on Jewish, Christian and Muslim mysticism.

Where besides a UU congregation could I go to feed both my mind and my spirit?

Peace,

Seeker

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Not to derail the thread too much but any of you UU Pagans members of a CUUPS coven? If so, how's that working for you?

CUUPS, where I went wasn't the main Pagan group. Rather 'Queen Spirit' Group was the Goddess centred pagan group that meant there, members and non-members alike.

Men were allow to come to the ceremonies, but not the individual meetings.... :(
I GET it...
But if you are going to change the world... should you include everyone?

:(

I DID REALLY enjoy their festivals and ritual however, but that hurt was always on the back burner and given the rule that groups sponsored by the church 'couldn't be exclusive' I always wondered how the Queen Spirit group got around that, and even when I was on the board, this question got 'the parking lot issue' a lot and set aside. o_O

Antiochian

Rationalist
I am a member of a grove of a particular Craft tradition. I agree that Wicca and UU tend to work quite well together. I have no experience with CUUPS, and the church I attend is quite small, and I'm the only Witch that I know of in the congregation. Because my tradition's oathbound, there's not a whole lot about my path I can share with others at my church, but I'd love to hear a talk about Wicca or Paganism in general.

Very odd, Sage, that the group meeting at a UU church allowed only women. They must have had a more Dianic take on Goddess worship--the Dianic Witches don't usually allow men in their circles.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I am a member of a grove of a particular Craft tradition. I agree that Wicca and UU tend to work quite well together. I have no experience with CUUPS, and the church I attend is quite small, and I'm the only Witch that I know of in the congregation. Because my tradition's oathbound, there's not a whole lot about my path I can share with others at my church, but I'd love to hear a talk about Wicca or Paganism in general.

Very odd, Sage, that the group meeting at a UU church allowed only women. They must have had a more Dianic take on Goddess worship--the Dianic Witches don't usually allow men in their circles.

I DO think the UU is good community for the Earth-based scene in general. :)

I'm not sure they were THAT specifically geared, but in the end I understand why ladies need some 'alone' time with each other in this world.
My only thought was 'if you want to change the world of men, it's be dang nice to include them, because they aren't ALL raging, sports driven, hetero to a fault manly men!!!!'

But yea... it rubbed my funny... but I can appreciate it even though I don't exactly agree with it.