• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which "afterlife" stories makes the most sense?

Skywalker

There is much more historical evidence for Baha'u'llah than there is for Jesus, by a very wide margin.

For example, the events surrounding Baha'u'llah's life and mission on earth were documented in the following books:

God Passes By (1844-1944)

The Revelation of Bahá'u'lláh, Volumes 1-4, which cover the 40 years of His Mission, from 1853-1892.

Peer reviewed evidence supports the ressurection of Jesus. He Is Risen: Historical Evidence That Jesus Rose From The Dead | Reasons for Jesus

By James Bishop| Did Jesus really rise from the dead? Is there any evidence that this actually happened, or is this just a product of myth, legend, or religious wishful thinking? As it turns out, the resurrection of Jesus is well supported by historical evidence and serves as the best explanation for the facts surrounding his life, death, and the emergence of early Christianity.

In this article we shall focus on New Testament Scholar Gary Habermas’ minimal facts approach (MFA). The MFA, explains Habermas, “considers only those data that are so strongly attested historically that they are granted by nearly every scholar who studies the subject, even the rather skeptical ones” (1).

This comes after Habermas has sifted through some 3000 peer reviewed academic articles penned in several languages. Having done so Habermas identifies 12 such facts (2) (3) but we shall focus only on four that are needed to make the case for Christ:

• Jesus’ crucifixion.
  • Jesus’ burial.
  • Jesus’ empty tomb.
  • Jesus’ post mortem appearances that convinced Paul, James and the disciples that he had been raised from the dead.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life nobody comes to the Father except through me.
Jesus said that because that was true during the Dispensation of Jesus, but Jesus never said He was the way the truth and the life for all time.

What Jesus said about coming to the Father Is really no different than what Baha’u’llah said about how we come to the Father in this new age. Only the time period has changed… The way to the Father in this age is Baha’u’llah, who is the Embodiment of Remembrance amongst men.

“Thou hast gained admittance into the Paradise of God’s Remembrance, through thy recognition of Him Who is the Embodiment of that Remembrance amongst men.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 303

Skywalker

Jesus said that because that was true during the Dispensation of Jesus, but Jesus never said He was the way the truth and the life for all time.

What Jesus said about coming to the Father Is really no different than what Baha’u’llah said about how we come to the Father in this new age. Only the time period has changed… The way to the Father in this age is Baha’u’llah, who is the Embodiment of Remembrance amongst men.

“Thou hast gained admittance into the Paradise of God’s Remembrance, through thy recognition of Him Who is the Embodiment of that Remembrance amongst men.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 303

Jesus became a human being 2,000 years ago and suffered and died on the cross to take the punishment for the sin of the world. You and I broke God's Law and Jesus paid our fine. If you are in court, even though you are guilty, if someone pays your fine, the judge can let you go. God can let you go-He can forgive your case, your sins-in an instant and grant you the gift of everlasting life because He is rich in mercy. And if you repent and trust in Jesus who died on a cross and rose again on the third day, God will forgive every secret sin you've ever committed and grant you the gift of everlasting life. Let me tell you about the integrity of God, do you think He can do everything?

Skywalker

No, there is no evidence for the resurrection of Jesus. All we have are the gospel stories and those are not evidence because a story is not evidence that anything in that story ever happened.

All of the apostles but John were executed for their faith in Jesus. What did they have to gain by making up stories? They didn't get money, sex, or power from what they did.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are free to believe what you want to about this, but try to explain why a brain starved of oxygen has a clear thought process and a clear memory of what happened while in that state, and reports that it was a more vivid experience than anything they had ever experienced in their life.
Why would you assume that the memories are of what happened (edit: or rather, what was hallucinated) when the brain was inactive and not as blood oxygen is being cut off or restored?

And I question how clear those memories actually are.

How likely is it that all these similar accounts can be wrong?
Very.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do you know he hadn't? What of he did?
Because I have a layman's outline of what death is and how it works, hence how it generates the effect I saw. I suspect, in essence, it's a problem in aesthetics between appearance of life and absence of that appearance.

And of course the problems of dualism and the silliness of many of those problems are a pretty complete obstacle to believing in souls.