• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Your Passion In Life Is Found?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Aristotle said something that can be roughly translated as, "Where your talents cross with the needs of the world, there lies your passion in life."

Do you think this is essentially correct?

How else can you find your passion in life, or is this the best guide to it that you've heard?

What do you make of the fact Aristotle was thinking here of both the individual's needs (a person's talents) and societies needs (the needs of the world)? Do you think that moralities should reflect both the needs of the individual and the needs of society, for instance?

Do you believe we have a "passion in life"?

If so, do you feel you've found yours?

If not, what makes you get out of bed in the morning?

How does Aristotle's advice jive (or not jive) with Socrates advice to be true to yourself?

Lastly, is it true that Moon Woman secretly wishes Todd will give her a DeWalt 7" Circular Table Saw and a month's supply of framing lumber for her one year RF anniversary, or is this just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

maro

muslimah
Thankx God , I have found my passion in life

I don't wake up in the morning and stuggle all day, just to have some more money,
or to be better than this one or that one,
or to search for the imaginary paradise on Earth
and try to find it before I die

because I knew that ther is no paradise on earth
and all we can long for here is just ( peace of mind) and satisfaction about what is granted to us by God

I believe that this very short life is a test
and it is not ( the point ) itself

I believe that allah who gave me life, in the original time
will give it to me again after death
either to reward me or punish me

I believe in the day of judgment,in paradise , and in hell

I believe that this is the purpose of my creation
and this is my motive
and the source of my passion

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
Aristotle said something that can be roughly translated as, "Where your talents cross with the needs of the world, there lies your passion in life."

Yes.

How else can you find your passion in life, or is this the best guide to it that you've heard?

My doc advises people to find something they love to do, and then do one thing with that in a spirit of service.

She sees a lot of patients who are stressed out more than need be, because they perceive a need for service, and try to shoehorn themselves into doing something they really hate.

It's good advice, imo. And it's why I never, ever volunteer to make phone calls. ;)

What do you make of the fact Aristotle was thinking here of both the individual's needs (a person's talents) and societies needs (the needs of the world)?

Yes, and it makes sense that he would. If we all chose things we don't like to do in order to improve our community, then the results will be poor. Try the reverse, everyone do something they love in service, and the results are fantastic. This isn't about being selfish -- it's just pragmatic.

Do you think that moralities should reflect both the needs of the individual and the needs of society, for instance?

Yes, in balance, preferably.

I've had several already, and they change according to my ability to do things at the time.[/quote]

I only get one? :(

My cat Phelix. There's something about having your fingers bitten and your hair chewed when it's breakfast time...

How does Aristotle's advice jive (or not jive) with Socrates advice to be true to yourself?

Different aspects of the same thing.

Lastly, is it true that Moon Woman secretly wishes Todd will give her a DeWalt 7" Circular Table Saw and a month's supply of framing lumber for her one year RF anniversary, or is this just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

No, it was me that secretly wished Todd would give me a DeWalt Compound Mitre Saw. Fortunately, my husband gave me one for an anniversary present, I think just to avoid me getting mad at Todd for disappointing me. :D

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Sunstone said:

Not necessarily, sometimes people have a passion for things they really suck at (my sister loves singing, for example). But the sentiment is true enough.

Find something that you love to do, that you get so much satisfaction from, that when you're working you enjoy it.

What do you make of the fact Aristotle was thinking here of both the individual's needs (a person's talents) and societies needs (the needs of the world)? Do you think that moralities should reflect both the needs of the individual and the needs of society, for instance?

That would be ideal, but its not necessary.

Of course.

Yes.

It's true. She told me herself? :D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Sunstone said:

Yes, I definately think so. I think it would be very hard to be passionate about something that was 100% selfish. At least for me...

I think that beyond service to others, there are some things that can help us define what our passion is. The first step I think it realizing that success is not measured by how much money you make. If you have a great job and make a lot of money, are you successful if in all that time you didn't make any time for your family or yourself? The other thing I think is making goals - ask yourself what you want out of your life. The road towards reaching that goal will give you your passion.

Yes, because whether or not we realize it, we are a global community. If we are a planet entirely of selfish beings who don't give anything back, then we would cease to function properly.

I think everyone has something they very much want to do, but not everyone finds what it is, or the courage to do it.

Yes, I have.

Well....the terrble three (kitties) make me get out of bed in the morning regardless....

Just because a passion in life usually involves some service to the community doesn't mean that we serve only the community and ignore ourselves. Having that passion and doing it instead of doing something you hate just because you "have to" is being true to yourself.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
My cat Phelix. There's something about having your fingers bitten and your hair chewed when it's breakfast time...
:biglaugh: Chews on your hair? Aint that precious!

In addition, I'll be cheap and steal most of what Booko said....most of us have had many endeavours in our lives that we pursue with passion. If those talents satisfy both a personal and societal need....awesome!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I believe Aristotle's reasoning was to assert that since we are social animals, we cannot find deep fulfillment or deep passion for life outside of a social context. Do you think this is true? If not, could you offer an example of where someone has a deep passion for living that is outside of a social context? Just curious what your thoughts on this are.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Booko said:
Yes, and it makes sense that he would. If we all chose things we don't like to do in order to improve our community, then the results will be poor. Try the reverse, everyone do something they love in service, and the results are fantastic. This isn't about being selfish -- it's just pragmatic.

Isn't it possible to be selfish and selfless at the same time? Isn't Aristotle getting at something like that when he says that you will find your passion in life where your talents cross with the needs of the world?

I realize that we Westerners have a tendency (did we get this from Christianity?) to think that if something is selfless, then it cannot be selfish too. Or that if something is selfish, then it cannot be selfless too. It seems we have a very hard time reconciling those two things. But can they not be reconciled in practice?

Did the ancient Greeks understand something about life that we've forgotten?

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
Sunstone said:
Isn't it possible to be selfish and selfless at the same time? Isn't Aristotle getting at something like that when he says that you will find your passion in life where your talents cross with the needs of the world?

I realize that we Westerners have a tendency (did we get this from Christianity?) to think that if something is selfless, then it cannot be selfish too. Or that if something is selfish, then it cannot be selfless too. It seems we have a very hard time reconciling those two things. But can they not be reconciled in practice?

Did the ancient Greeks understand something about life that we've forgotten?
I read what Booko was saying as equivalent to what you're saying. Why be a martyr doing something you hate when doing something you love that still benefits the community makes more sense? I thought she was saying that doing so is not just being selfish, but being pragmatic. (Hope Booko doesn't mind me answering for her too much. :chicken:)

I agree that this principle is correct, but it can be taken too far. Ayn Rand for instance. I think there are times that being genuinely selfless and doing something that you'd rather not do is the right thing to do, though I think that these are probably in the minority, and the most benefit is achieved when things line up as in your Aristotle quote.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For someone who professed to follow Aristotle, Ayn Rand was remarkably dense about the nuances of Aristotle's ethics. She seems to have believed there was no place for altruism. I'm not sure Aristotle would have shared that opinion.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
Sunstone said:
She seems to have believed there was no place for altruism. I'm not sure Aristotle would have shared that opinion.
Seems to? She outright said it as I recall (though I can't quote it). Reading her biography written by Nathaniel Branden was quite enlightening (Judgement Day, as I recall). It really helped to explain how she ended up where she did to me. Interesting read, if a bit sordid.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
BrandonE said:
Seems to? She outright said it as I recall (though I can't quote it). Reading her biography written by Nathaniel Branden was quite enlightening (Judgement Day, as I recall). It really helped to explain how she ended up where she did to me. Interesting read, if a bit sordid.

Although Aristotle didn't believe everyone was equal, he did believe everyone had a place, more or less. With Rand, you get the impression she would have booted a large portion of humanity off the planet.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Sunstone said:
Although Aristotle didn't believe everyone was equal, he did believe everyone had a place, more or less. With Rand, you get the impression she would have booted a large portion of humanity off the planet.
Hmmm. To really put Ayn Rand's philosophy to the test, to see what it would actually result in, would require a sovereign state to adopt Objectivism for its guiding principles. If enough Ayn Rand fans got so fed up as to leave everyone else to their backward ways and find some way to set up shop for themselves in a place where they wouldn't be opposed, I'd sure like to see what would happen.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Sunstone writes: Aristotle said something that can be roughly translated as, "Where your talents cross with the needs of the world, there lies your passion in life."
GOD has explained to me that this is where one discovers purpose in life.
Sunstone writes: Do you think this is essentially correct?
I am a little hung up on “the needs of the world” part. Passion may be private and personal. Passion can be selfish. Passion can also lead to obsession.
Sunstone writes: How else can you find your passion in life, or is this the best guide to it that you've heard?
I find anything that you lose yourself into (music, learning, reading, sex) could be a good indicator that you are passionate about something.
Sunstone writes: Do you believe we have a "passion in life"?
Anybody who samples many different things, anyone who collects many different experiences or who dares any challenge would seem to have a passion for life.
Sunstone writes: If so, do you feel you've found yours?
I have found many it is the ones that I haven’t found that I miss the most.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:

Yes. One's calling must be perceived as having some value (it must meet some need) or else one would move to a similar goal that still satisfies one's calling.

It's the best I've heard.

What do you make of the fact Aristotle was thinking here of both the individual's needs (a person's talents) and societies needs (the needs of the world)?

I think your passion can have to do with your own needs, not necessarily the needs of others. It's just that satisfying the needs of others pays better in terms or money or honors.

Do you think that moralities should reflect both the needs of the individual and the needs of society, for instance?

I don't think that Aristotle was preaching altruism, per se. I don't think it was his point that one ought to serve the needs of others.

But moralities should reflect the needs of the individuals, which includes their social needs and relationships.

Yes. Philosophy and computer programming, mainly.

Perfectly.

eudaimonia,

Mark

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:
With Rand, you get the impression she would have booted a large portion of humanity off the planet.

Ridiculous. Like George Orwell and other dystopian fiction writers, she was giving everyone a warning about a dangerous possible future, with the hope that it could be avoided. She wanted people to avoid ideas that are self-destructive and destructive of others. While she could come across as grouchy, her motivations were benevolent.

eudaimonia,

Mark

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:
For someone who professed to follow Aristotle, Ayn Rand was remarkably dense about the nuances of Aristotle's ethics. She seems to have believed there was no place for altruism. I'm not sure Aristotle would have shared that opinion.

Rand didn't profess to "follow Aristotle" in terms of his ethics.

BTW, in my reading of Aristotle, there is a strong egoistic bent. I see very little altruism at all, if altruism means the idea that one must sacrifice one's interests -- one's eudaimonia -- for others. (I guess that means you'll just conclude that I'm "remarkably dense" about Aristotle's ethics.)

Unfortunately, the term "altruism" is rather slippery, and can mean things that Rand wasn't referring to when she criticized altruism. She was an advocate of generous, and even charitable, acts, given that no self-sacrifice is involved. For Rand, altruism did not mean "being loving to others".

You really should follow what Rand writes more closely, because there are cases in her stories where the noble characters act in a generous or charitable way. Howard Roark even declares to a good friend that: "I wouldn't live for you, but I would die for you."

This isn't altruism in the self-sacrificing sense, since these acts are actually instances of the upholding of a personal value sacred to oneself.

eudaimonia,

Mark

evearael

Absolutely!

Ignore the expectations of others and follow each passion until you find your niche. I followed my passions throughout college (much to the dismay of my family) and have found joy in being a stay-at-home-mommy. I am passionate about my family and passionate about service, so it just fit. I am still passionate about math, physics, anthropology and archaeology, but my family takes priority.

In my case, I need to serve. I need to do a job that matters and helps people and, in my opinion, being there for my daughter really matters. I want to improve and protect my self, my family (stay-at-home-mommy), my community (Habitat for Humanity), my country (military wife) and my world (Heifer) as much as I am able.

Do you believe we have a "passion in life"? I am a very passionate person, for better or for worse. I love and hate with a passion... I rarely apathetic.

Yes.

I jives for me because I have a desire to serve in the first place.

Silly rumor. She wants a jigsaw.