• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where would the Native American belief system fit in.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I have always loved learning about different cultures an traditions. grew up in South Dakota with the Lakota Sioux Native Americans. I was always fascinated by it and tried to learn as much as I could. I know they believe in The Great Spirit but then spirit animals and nature. Where would their ”religion” fall? If anyone can share any knowledge about it, I would love to learn.

pearl

clip_image002.png
"If you take the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind." Statement by an anonymous Native woman

"Rather than going to church, I attend a sweat lodge; rather than accepting bread and toast [sic] from the Holy Priest, I smoke a ceremonial pipe to come into Communion with the Great Spirit; and rather than kneeling with my hands placed together in prayer, I let sweetgrass be feathered over my entire being for spiritual cleansing and allow the smoke to carry my prayers into the heavens. I am a Mi'kmaq, and this is how we pray." Noah Augustine, from his article "Grandfather was a knowing Christian, Toronto Star, Toronto ON Canada, 2000-AUG-9.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
clip_image002.png
"If you take the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind." Statement by an anonymous Native woman

"Rather than going to church, I attend a sweat lodge; rather than accepting bread and toast [sic] from the Holy Priest, I smoke a ceremonial pipe to come into Communion with the Great Spirit; and rather than kneeling with my hands placed together in prayer, I let sweetgrass be feathered over my entire being for spiritual cleansing and allow the smoke to carry my prayers into the heavens. I am a Mi'kmaq, and this is how we pray." Noah Augustine, from his article "Grandfather was a knowing Christian, Toronto Star, Toronto ON Canada, 2000-AUG-9.

Thank you, that was beautiful.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I have always loved learning about different cultures an traditions. grew up in South Dakota with the Lakota Sioux Native Americans. I was always fascinated by it and tried to learn as much as I could. I know they believe in The Great Spirit but then spirit animals and nature. Where would their ”religion” fall? If anyone can share any knowledge about it, I would love to learn.

I'd consider native American religion to be shamanistic.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Depends on the tribe. Up here in the northwest there is a much more fleshed out mythology with entities like The Raven. Each village has their own oral traditions, though the theme of these characters would stay consistent -especially the tricksters. Here is a page you might find interesting.

Coast Salish - New World Encyclopedia

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The best book I've read on NA religions is "Red Man's Religion" by anthropologist Ruth Underhill. The title is hoaky but the content is excellent.

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
I have a degree in Religious Studies.

North American religions can surely be considered shamanistic (if generalizing since I'm not an expert on North American religions). Another definitions could be folk religion or animistic religion.

amorphous_constellation

It would be great if someone was in these forums that was involved with that and contributed, is there someone out there who is? That would be breath of fresh air

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Where would European religion fit in?
Norse, Christianity, Hellenic...
Where does European "religion" fall?
Many of the native European religions are derived from the Indo-European culture. Hinduism is a mix of that culture and the indigenous Indian culture. That is why there is a huge similarity between them and Vedic Hinduism. The deities (Dvavah, Zeus, Oranos, Perun, Ashwiniai, Dawn, Usha, Eos, etc.) and the myths are either the same of similar. These deities are enthusiastically worshiped. Millions of people and students still follow and study the Vedas. Vedic religion is a living part of Hinduism. That is the closest to native European religions.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It would be great if someone was in these forums that was involved with that and contributed, is there someone out there who is? That would be breath of fresh air
I am a Me'tis (European & Amerindian mix-- Pawnee, Canadian Cree, & one of the Iroquois clans), and I've have been involved with "drumming" and appropriate chants in the past. However, since I was not brought up in the "tradition of the elders", my experience is very limited.