• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to visit West USA?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Granted, I've been to neither, but I think I would choose to visit San Francisco over LA. Also, I would much prefer the desert or the northern coast (Oregon, Washington) over California. Vegas seems interesting, but if I were to go to Nevada it would be for the Burning Man festival.

And the Southwestern states do have a lot of Hispanic culture and influence. :)

ronki23

Yes, I am.

Nice, which part?

I have family living in New Jersey but relocating to Virginia. I also have a cousin in Seattle after he studied in Eckerd,Fl.
I've only been to New York and New Jersey, even in New York I have only visited Manhattan,Staten Island and (I believe) Queens (that's the one across the river)?

I used to be quite into Florida as a kid but i've kinda grown out of theme parks,etc. Not that I wouldn't go, but i'd prefer to see the cities and relax on the beaches.

I also asked for Hispanic culture because i've been to some really cool Brazilian parties and I love the taste of Brazilian and Mexican food, particularly Brazilian carvery (love the seasoning on the meat/ the bean and pork stews Latinos eat)

Curious George

Veteran Member
I've not been lol. Are you from CA?

I was asking Quagmire.

Depending on what you like doing , different places in California will serve as good places to visit. But, I do not know if I would recommend Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara has a decent nightlife if that is what you are into, but San Diego and Los Angeles have a much better nightlife. Santa Barbara has a beautiful Mission, and you can go to the Painted Cave and wine tasting. There are beautiful places there but depending on what you like to do it might not serve your purpose. Like any tourist destination it has plenty of things to do, but that does not mean that you will find it ideal for you. There Central coast is similar in climate to southern spain, if you have been there. All throughout Southern California you will find Latino influence and culture. So, I am not sure that this is a valid reason to choose Santa Barbara. However, if you are familiar with the 80's Soap Opera then perhaps it is worth a visit.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Nice, which part?

I have family living in New Jersey but relocating to Virginia. I also have a cousin in Seattle after he studied in Eckerd,Fl.
I've only been to New York and New Jersey, even in New York I have only visited Manhattan,Staten Island and (I believe) Queens (that's the one across the river)?

I used to be quite into Florida as a kid but i've kinda grown out of theme parks,etc. Not that I wouldn't go, but i'd prefer to see the cities and relax on the beaches.

I also asked for Hispanic culture because i've been to some really cool Brazilian parties and I love the taste of Brazilian and Mexican food, particularly Brazilian carvery (love the seasoning on the meat/ the bean and pork stews Latinos eat)

I have lived up and down the coast in Washington, Oregon, and California.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Granted, I've been to neither, but I think I would choose to visit San Francisco over LA. Also, I would much prefer the desert or the northern coast (Oregon, Washington) over California. Vegas seems interesting, but if I were to go to Nevada it would be for the Burning Man festival.

And the Southwestern states do have a lot of Hispanic culture and influence. :)

Why San Francisco?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you're into cities and landmarks I don't understand your interest in the Gran Cranny. The canyon's all about Nature.
Las Vegas might be a disappointment, too, unless you like gambling and glitz. The "landmarks" -- pyramid, Eiffel tower, volcanoes, gondolas -- are all fake, and there's nothing there a European would consider "historic."

A proper tour itinerary needs to be tailored to your personal interests: Architecture, adventure sports, natural wonders, cuisine, &c.
You say you like cities. Do you like walking tours or prefer a bus? Do you like history or prefer clubbing? Museums? Music? Hanging out with natives?

Curious George

Veteran Member
A proper tour itinerary needs to be tailored to your personal interests: Architecture, adventure sports, natural wonders, cuisine, &c.
You say you like cities. Do you like walking tours or prefer a bus? Do you like history or prefer clubbing? Museums? Music? Hanging out with natives?

^^ this ^^

ronki23

If you're into cities and landmarks I don't understand your interest in the Gran Cranny. The canyon's all about Nature.
Las Vegas might be a disappointment, too, unless you like gambling and glitz. The "landmarks" -- pyramid, Eiffel tower, volcanoes, gondolas -- are all fake, and there's nothing there a European would consider "historic."

By landmarks I mean natural scenery and man-made marvels.
As for Vegas, I don't gamble regularly but for places reknown for such things, I would budget an amount. Not to mention i'd love to see the shows at Vegas, the Caeser's/MGM, the dining,etc.

As for nightlife, i'd what you call a 'classy clubber' in that i'd go to international themed parties/ be happy sipping drinks early evening

I simply enjoy urban areas as long as there's either a beach or a landmark e.g I enjoyed NY due to Empire State/Chrysler/Statue of Liberty. Same applies for Shanghai and it's Pearl Tower, Financial building and Bund (though Beijing was much less polluted and crowded even though the layout was strange)

That's why I don't really like British cities; they're dull and most are actually covered up in the form of malls. I've been to 9 major cities in the UK and as you can see, I enjoy the bigger ones

London- the best so no complaints except price
Southampton- smaller than most cities but multicultural and lots of places to shop/eat. Nice nightlife
Birmingham- amazing but bad weather and bad transport
Manchester- same as Birmingham

Liverpool- bad weather and the only redeeming feature is the waterfront; ugly shopping centres.Southampton and London have better waterfronts
Winchester-bad road design and small
Nottingham-smaller than it looks and its shopping centres/nightlife suck. Town hall looks nice. Bad transport
Salisbury-small
Leeds- weird layout

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Better than the food?
Have you been to many restaurants in the wine country? I'll put those up against San Francisco any day of the week.

But I too prefer the south. I grew up at places like La Jolla, Zuma, Malibu, Santa Monica, and, before it was ruined, Carpinteria.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... just plan on spending a cpl of days driving up the coast to San Fran. That'll take you through Big Sur, Carmel, Montery, Santa Cruz (which is kind of like a much bigger but cleaner and less depressing Haight-Ashbury), and from there it's a straight shot through Silicon Valley to San Francisco.

You'll see some of the most beautiful sections of the Pacific coast line and get a good dose of the redwood forests along the way (although you won't see the really big redwoods. You'd have to go up past San Francisco for those).
Exactly. And between the redwoods and the Bay is some amazing wine country. But whatever you do, do as much of Highway 1 as possible!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe i'd stay and live in Santa Barbara and go to LA from there by train/bus?

SB is almost 100 miles north of LA so I'm not sure how conveinant that would be.

Why do some say avoid Hollywood?

I haven't been in Hollywood in more than 25 years so I'm probably not the best person to ask. All I know is that it was a pretty seedy place back then and from what I hear it hasn't gotten any better.

After all,it's Hollywood! I want to see the stars on the walk of fame, Chang's theatre, the sign,etc.

Understandable. Maybe the best thing to do would be to book a tour (?)

I'd even be interested in seeing Venice Beach where all the best bodybuilders train (I hear they relocated the Gold's Gym)

Venice is pretty seedy too. :p

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Curious George

Veteran Member
I live in Goleta and I still think we have the nicest beach. https://www.google.com/search?q=Gol...QGHtYDYBA&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=979&dpr=1

Other than that it depends on what I'm in the mood for: sometimes Goleta, sometimes SB, and even sometimes (but rarely) Isla Vista.

But I think my favorite place in SB overall is the computer lab at UCSB. :p

Except that is Goleta. And which beach in Goleta? Campus Point or Goleta Beach? Butterfly Beach in Montecito is nice, Sandbar at the end of the Breakwater is nice in SB because there are rarely many people out there. But as far as the Central Coast I think Carp Beaches are better than SB and Jalama is really nice too. But if we are going to consider all of California- i would have to say San Diego has the nicest beaches- They are overpopulated for which takes away.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Have you been to many restaurants in the wine country? I'll put those up against San Francisco any day of the week.

But I too prefer the south. I grew up at places like La Jolla, Zuma, Malibu, Santa Monica, and, before it was ruined, Carpinteria.

You'll end up with a handful of restaurants that cannot match the diversity, innovation, and skill. San Francisco has better food. I don't know what to tell you.

How was Carp ruined?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Personally, if I had only two weeks I'd head for one or two of the national parks.