• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Is Jesus PHYSICALLY Right Now?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I know there is a similar thread, but I wanted to specify the question more.

If Jesus's body rose from the dead, where exactly does his body physically exist presently?

I've heard he is physically in heaven, but how is that so? It would imply heaven is physical, for only physical things exist in an area and thus take up space and thus have mass.

Where is his body currently?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This is the greatest mystery of Christianity. Given that his physical body resurrected, he must be somewhere; what I'm totally sure about is that Heaven is not a material place, so a material body difficultly can live in an immaterial place.
As a Catholic I can say what I'm sure about. I'm sure that both Jesus and Mary ascended the sky physically so they are somewhere. They are not spirits but physical bodies like ours.

the only answer I can find to this mystery is this: given that they are very very powerful, they live on Earth with us. they watch us, they guide us. But we can't see them; only Mary appears to people and I do believe in Mary's apparitions

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

If Jesus's body rose from the dead, where exactly does his body physically exist presently?

I've heard he is physically in heaven, but how is that so? It would imply heaven is physical, for only physical things exist in an area and thus take up space and thus have mass.

Jesus is indeed physically in Heaven. He is not bound by limitations in either the earthly or heavenly realms, as He is true God and true man; this is how He can have His physical body in a non-physical realm.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

It physically exists in Heaven. And yes, Heaven is physical. It's a real place. Why not? We don't need to know where it is to acknowledge that it is actually somewhere.

The Sum of Awe

It physically exists in Heaven. And yes, Heaven is physical. It's a real place. Why not? We don't need to know where it is to acknowledge that it is actually somewhere.

I will accept that. But I just always thought Christians viewed the spiritual as non-physical

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
As of now.. My best guess is that Jesus traveled to some point in the future. After his resurrection, Jesus' body changed from that of any other ordinary physical human being. He was capable of appearing and disappearing at will.

The Sum of Awe

We do. Mormons might have a different view, though.

So how does Jesus's body exist in heaven as if it is a place?

If heaven is a place, it means it takes up space, which means it has mass, and thus has to be physical. Or what exactly is taking up space that Jesus's physical body exists in?

The Sum of Awe

As of now.. My best guess is that Jesus traveled to some point in the future. After his resurrection, Jesus' body changed from that of any other ordinary physical human being. He was capable of appearing and disappearing at will.

Not important but this has made me wonder;

Would it therefore not be inaccurate to say Jesus does not exist (currently)?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Not important but this has made me wonder;

Would it therefore not be inaccurate to say Jesus does not exist (currently)?

It would be somewhat inaccurate. The future does not currently exist, as we are able to perceive- but past, present, and future really exist simultaneously.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So how does Jesus's body exist in heaven as if it is a place?

If heaven is a place, it means it takes up space, which means it has mass, and thus has to be physical. Or what exactly is taking up space that Jesus's physical body exists in?

Hmm. I Googled and I might be wrong, according to an article I found: Christian Order - Read - Features - May 2012 (A Traditionalist site.)

I'll have to look into it more.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I will accept that. But I just always thought Christians viewed the spiritual as non-physical
Well, you know me... I'm one of those renegade Christians they call "Mormons." But seriously, I don't think Mormons are alone among Christians in believing in a physical Heaven and in the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ. After all, when He was seen by His followers, 40 days after His ressurrection, ascending into Heaven, He was very much physical. Unless He shed His body somewhere between Earth and Heaven, I'm assuming He still has it.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

his physical body does not exist.

He was raised with a spirit body and he is in heaven.

1Peter 3:18'...He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit.

The bible says that physical bodys cannot go into heaven...you need to be a spirit as Paul explains that the corruptible physical body will be changed into an incorruptible one:
1Cor 15:50 But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Look! I tell you a sacred secret: We will not all fall asleep in death, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the blink of an eye, during the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed. 53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
We do. Mormons might have a different view, though.
So, I'm kind of confused by what you're saying, Frankie. You're saying that Jesus physically resides in Heaven, but you also implied that you see the spiritual and the physical as being mutually exclusive. That seems contradictory to me, but maybe I'm just not understanding you.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't think Mormons are alone among Christians in believing in a physical Heaven and in the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ. After all, when He was seen by His followers, 40 days after His ressurrection, ascending into Heaven, He was very much physical. Unless He shed His body somewhere between Earth and Heaven, I'm assuming He still has it.

Actually, you're not. Apparently I was wrong, as the article I posted above from a Traditional Catholic site argues.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The bible says that physical bodys cannot go into heaven.
No, it really doesn't say that at all. It says, "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God." "Flesh and blood" is another way of saying "mortal man." A body can have a physical form and substance, as Jesus Christ's did following His resurrection. The phrase, "flesh and blood" is used on a number of occasions in the Bible, and in every single case, a reference is being made to a "mortal" being as opposed to an "immortal" being. I could quote them all, but if you take the time to look them up for yourself, I think you'll agree that "flesh and blood" is nothing more than a symbolic way of referring to a human being.

There is, however, only one instance in the Bible where the phrase "flesh and bones" is used. It's in Luke 24:39, where Jesus said, "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath notflesh and bones, as ye see me have." How anyone can read those words and continue to insist that Jesus did not have a physical body is beyond me. Note: I did not say that He had a mortal body. He didn't. He had a immortal body, a body that was no longer subject to injury, disease or -- most importantly -- death. But it was not just spirit. No matter how you want to try to get around it, He had a corporeal body. He had it then; He had it for the next 40 days when He remained among His disciples on Earth; He had it when He was seen ascending into Heaven. And, according to the Bible, when He returns to Earth, He will be in exactly the same form as when He left.

But I think we've already had this discussion more than a couple of times, haven't we? ;) And oddly, neither of us has budged an inch since the first time we addressed this question.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
his physical body does not exist.

He was raised with a spirit body and he is in heaven.

1Peter 3:18'...He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit.

The bible says that physical bodys cannot go into heaven...you need to be a spirit as Paul explains that the corruptible physical body will be changed into an incorruptible one:
1Cor 15:50 But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Look! I tell you a sacred secret: We will not all fall asleep in death, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the blink of an eye, during the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed. 53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality

If He has a spirit body, then how could He eat and let Thomas touch His wound?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Actually, you're not. Apparently I was wrong, as the article I posted above from a Traditional Catholic site argues.
Thank you. I liked these two paragraphs from the article you linked to. Even though I've never heard it expressed quite like that in any LDS writings, I'd say that this is almost exactly what we believe. I'm always glad to find some common ground between us.

The glorified bodies of the risen Saints will be distinguished by four transcendent endowments, or qualities. The Catechism of Pope St. Pius X describes these qualities as follows: "The endowments that shall adorn the bodies of the elect are:

1) Impassability, by which they can never again be subject to evil, nor to any kind of pain, nor to need of food, of rest or the like; 2) Brightness, by which they shall shine as the sun and as so many stars; 3) Agility, by which they shall be able to pass in a moment and without fatigue from one place to another and from earth to heaven; 4) Subtlety, by which without hindrance they shall be able to penetrate any body, as did Jesus Christ when risen from the dead."

Yet in spite of these transcendent qualities, the glorified bodies will remain physical bodies. As Dr. Ott explains, although subtlety will spiritualize our nature, this "is not to be conceived as a transformation of the body into a spiritual essence or as a refinement of the matter into an ethereal body." After the resurrection, the glorified bodies of the just will remain physical bodies with flesh and bones. We see this with the risen body of Our Lord, who not only allowed the apostles to touch Him, but also ate with them. "See my hands and feet, that it is I myself; handle, and see: for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as you see me to have. And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet… And they offered him a piece of a broiled fish, and a honeycomb. And when He had eaten before them, taking the remains, he gave to them" (Luke 24:39-40, 42-43).