• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where in the Bible is the Christian God Cruel and/or Incompetent...

firedragon

Veteran Member
OK, But go and read Kants' essay.
Or go to Nicolae Stenno who was the father of geology and Cristalisation, who explained the current geological earth by means of a global flood in 1660.
Oh, He was a Bible believing Christian too.
OK, I dont mean to offend you, but Kant, Newton and Stenno is a good start to see where the current scientists got their information from.
Just a pitty they dont acknowledge the sources of their scientific claims.
The Bible.

I am not interested in all of that because I am a theist.

I asked for evidence.

But I think you will never get to it. So I shall leave it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Again, I urge you to read the Bible for yourself.
Abraham's wife was never turned into a pillar of salt.

Unless you don't believe the bible literally, "it says" she did. I have read it. What I'm asking is distinct.

1. How do those verses I've mentioned say anything other than god (as written) telling and/or wanting his people to kill others (and did so himself)?

Killing those who offended god.

2. What spiritual lessons do you take from these verses you say are spoken by god?

SA Huguenot

I am not interested in all of that because I am a theist.

I asked for evidence.

But I think you will never get to it. So I shall leave it.
OK, Promise I will get to it. But for now I want to delft into the current topic.
Oh, Are you a Theist, or Atheist?

SA Huguenot

Unless you don't believe the bible literally, "it says" she did. I have read it. What I'm asking is distinct.

1. How do those verses I've mentioned say anything other than god (as written) telling and/or wanting his people to kill others (and did so himself)?

2. What spiritual lessons do you take from these verses you say are spoken by god?
OK, I wont be so nasty.
I do apologise.
It was Lot's wife that was changed into a pillar of salt, Not Sarai, Abraham's wife.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
OK, I wont be so nasty.
I do apologise.
It was Lot's wife that was changed into a pillar of salt, Not Sarai, Abraham's wife.

Thanks. I knew it was one of the two. Like Soddom, it does say god ordered or told Lot and his wife to leave and don't turn back. The event, if the bible is taken literally, was by the hands of god.

How can one not read the immoral nature of the written god in biblical verses?

I'd say out of the whole bible, there are only a handful of loveverses and they all are limited to those the written god chose to favor.

Literal or figuratively, how do these verses help with your or spiritual growth in general?

I'm sure if god is a god of love, those verses can be translated as that?

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

These days I am happy and don't have that depression even and don't need religion to make me happy. Is that similar to your case?
If I were asked to put a finger on it, I would say that early experiences with people attempting to torment me emotionally, and sometimes physically (very less often, luckily) put me on a path to understanding that I could literally choose not to take at least the emotional "damage" on board. It wasn't like physical dealings at all - which you cannot choose to not feel. And so I learned through some kind of trial and error and experience that I could literally just brick-wall anyone who was attempting to hurt me with words, and that the only person who gives emotional + situational shame or guilt or discomfort any power over my time and thoughts is me! And in that knowledge I became extremely safe from the assails of others with an emotional agenda - which eventually extended to life situations that cause others torment or angst. I don't literally have to feel those things. I can choose to deal with things differently.

I have never been religious. The most I can say I have done is give fleeting moments of thought toward it at the behest of others. Otherwise, none of it (no path, no religion, no spiritual practices of any kind) has ever made any sense to me.

Last edited:

SA Huguenot

I believe God killed persons who willfully challenged his authority with the will to mislead other people.
If I go through the list of people who was killed, I find the following.
1. They murdered and raped inocent people.
2. They tried to get rid of the prophets who lead Israel, to deceive them in rebellion against YHWH.
3. They tried to use the Baal worship of Idolatory, and temple prostitution to seduce Israel to leave YHWH, after they mad a covenant with Him to be his nation, and He their God.
4. They tried to pretend to be speaking for God, and thereby deceived inocent people in accepting idolatory.
5. They practiced Human sacrifice, Moloch fire worship by burning their first born, temple orgies, forcing women to once a year play prosteiute in their temples, Beastiality, Homosexuality and so forth.
6. they taught their children these practices.
The initiators of these deceptions were the ones executed, and not a single one was inocent of the above.

What spiritual lesson can we learn?
Even when God ruled over Israel with His prophets, the human was corrupt, and Satan achieved to remove God's created souls from Him.
Be carefull of those that want to teach you anything else than what God's law teaches.

Nimos

Well, I can only give you my understanding of who God is. I will tell ou what my interperetation is about this, but heavilly supported by what I found in the Bible.
I understand that this is your personal understanding, but I have to say that I would probably disagree with it being heavily supported by the bible, at least from my understanding. But maybe you can expand on your views and it will make more sense to me.

1. God is all knowing, and obviously should have known that Evil will enter in His creation.
As far as I know, we are not really told how or when evil came into the creation. If we are to understand the creation as being the literal truth, God ended the last day of creation like this:

Genesis 1:31
31 - Now God saw all that he had made, and indeed, it was very good! The twilight and the dawn were the sixth day.

And by the seventh day he have created everything (heavens and earth) and made that day holy. Assuming that evil and death is connected with what is not good, it would be strange for God to think that all was very good on the last day.

We know that death is brought to humans after they ate the fruit, but we don't know when evil entered the picture. But again, we know that Satan's action is suppose to be understood as an evil one, as it defy God's will, so at least it must be in the creation at this point in time.

But let assume that free will is what leads to evil, which could probably be argued is the case. As the absence of good could be or lead to evil, but also if there is no free will to defy God's will, then it would be impossible to do anything that God did not approve of.

But if we go with that, it will lead to some issues, because if God wanted free will to be there, he essentially created evil as well and he knew it. Which makes one wonder why he would do that, since he really don't like it?

3. If there is a place in the creation where people will be kept away from God, does it mean He is not Omnipresent?
I have no issue with this, God can be omnipresent, but simply refuse to answer or interfere.

4. Then the creation of free will where God made Man to choose to sin obviously shows that He knew Man will sin, Satan will seduce, death and pain will appear.
But God already tried this, as he had given the Angels free will as well, as we know that some of them rebelled against God, like Satan. So not only did he knew the result from giving them free will, but also what it would mean when he created man and did it once again.

Then I understood the principle of Adam and Eve created in God's immage. They were also created immortal. They were covered in a bright light as God wears light as clothing, and they did not know they were naked.
I don't really understand how you reach that conclusion?

Genesis 2:25
25 - And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

To not be ashamed of something, you need to be aware of what it is in the first place that you potentially should be ashamed of or at least it is a very strange way of using the word "ashamed" in my opinion.

Personally, I think this nakedness is probably to symbolize the absolute purity of humans, as clothing can and in most cases is seen as a shield or a form of status symbol. A rich person back then would probably wear fancy clothing to promote their status, whereas someone wearing rags would be seen as one of very low status. But to be completely naked and not ashamed!!... This is madness!!, how low can you get? :)
But think about it, God did not mind? The creator of everything does not instantly give them fancy cloth, that is kinda odd that he is not interested in gold and all these fancy things that kings and queens wear? But see more or equal value in naked people?

I think for people back then, knowing that only important and wealthy people would wear fancy gold and luxury items, showing off how much better they were than everyone else, would have thought that God would probably prefer that as well, so it's probably a bit of an eye opener. We don't really get that feeling today, because of the way people are dressed and it's not really difficult to appear more wealthy or of higher status than you really are, but I think it would be very different back then.

Another clue is when they finally sin and instantly cover themselves, because now they are no longer pure, they did something wrong. This part of the story, naked and suddenly not naked anymore, I don't think was added just for giving an explanation of why we wear cloth or to just make the story more interesting.

One also have to remember that this religion started with the sheepherders (If I recall correctly), which probably weren't seen as people of high status, so it would make sense that they would make a God that spoke to them and not the wealthy or those of high status. Remember that in Egypt, the rulers were looked upon as almost gods themselves, building fancy structures like the pyramids etc. Whereas the biblical God does not want any symbols of any kind to be build and worshipped, in fact he kills people that does this.

And we get a lot of clues in the bible, where God refer to those around them as doing these things and how much he hate them for it.

So im not really sure where you get the "bright light" as clothing from? And that God wears light as well? According to the bible no one have seen God, which probably ain't true, as one would assume that Adam and Eve have :) But lets just give them the benefit of doubt, so how would anyone know what God wears?

This blood was the covering of Adam and Eve from destruction in the presence of God. for some reason, blood covers our sinfull nature, and protects our mortal bodies from "burning out" in Gods' presence.
I don't really get how you reach that conclusion either?

Genesis 3:21
21 - And the LORD God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them.

I might have missed it somewhere in the bible, ill admit that, since its pretty long. But how is garments of skin going to protect against the destruction of God? or do you mean that God ripped the skins of animals and dressed Adam and Eve in some garments all covered in blood, like some horror movie or something? If that is the case, I have to admit that it didn't even cross my mind, that it should be understood like that, when reading the story.

I know that blood is sacred and belongs to God, but not like it having some magical properties which protect against God, I find that very weird, and pretty sure I would remember it, if I had read it :)

Can you elaborate on that?

"Why did God create us?"
The answer is: "He was alone and wanted something to be his friend and to love that someone."
That one, I just straight up have to say that I don't buy. :)

God already had all his Angels at this point, which as far as we know hangs out with him in heaven. We also already established that they must have had free will, given that Satan and some other rebelled against him.

Even if we assume that it was the case that God was lonely, what exactly could a human offer him, besides being a pet?
We are talking about an all knowing God, how interesting could a conversation be with a human, that doesn't understand or know anything and that will never say anything that he doesn't already know? If anything, God must be furious or extremely annoyed having to constantly answering question from such humans. We enjoy the company of pets because they give us comfort and could they talk, it would probably be very interesting conversation, because we don't know everything, so listening to others views and thoughts can be interesting to us. But we like to be around animals, because we think they are cute, funny, interesting to look at, or whatever reason people might have pets.

But an all knowing and all powerful God can create something far more interesting than a human, if he lacks company. And he would probably instantly destroy them as well, once he grew tired of them, which he would probably do quite fast :D

So I don't buy that God created humans because he was lonely, or at least you really have to make a case for why he would do that? :)

"He decided to create a free thinking free willed creature, that could decide for themself if they want to be His friend!"

"He also knew that there will be terrible people, who will breech all moral rules written in our conscience, and He knew they will forever be removed from His presence, but will for eternity feel the "burning" of their corrupted spirits by His omnipresence."

Again, if you had the power to create a best friend? Why on earth would you create one that would be terrible, it makes no sense? I personally wouldn't even dream of befriending someone, I thought was terrible, so why would God?

And yes, God did not create evil, but allowed free choice, to ensure that who loves him does so out of free will.
As I mentioned above, that free will, could explain how evil was created, meaning that God did it. Even though that also have its issues. But at least its plausible as I see it. But if God didn't create evil who did? and howcome doesn't God then just get rid of it, again we know he doesn't like it?

Just think what a foolish god He would have been if He forced us all to love Him.
Little robots running around him with no mind at all.
That is the issue, no matter what God did, we would be small robots to him, if he is all knowing, nothing is going to surprise him, doesn't matter if you have free will or not.

Even if you change your mind in the absolutely very last part of a microsecond trying to catch God off guard, he already knows it, your free will is worthless to an all knowing God.

Ask yourself this, if he knows everything, what would you do to surprise him?

Free will is nothing but an excuse, that doesn't explain or solve anything with an all knowing God. it's as impossible as making a square circle.

Last edited:

SA Huguenot

The distraction, if the bible is taken literally, was by the hands of god.

How can one not read the immoral nature of the written god in biblical verses?

I'd say out of the whole bible, there are only a handful of loveverses and they all are limited to those the written god chose to favor.
From my point of view again, I am glad that the Bible says it as it is.
Just think what a silly book it would be if every page was whitewashed, and sanitised to reflect God as someone He is not.
I like the fact that I can see what God did to the people of old, and how He judged and ensured that the seed of Eve, the woman, would remain pure up untill the birth of Jesus.
This was to fullfill His promise that from the Womans' descendends, Satan will be destroyed.
And it was Satan who achieved in taking the immortalaty of humans away, and removed the friends of God with whom he walked and talked in the Garen of Eden, by killing them.
It was this promise that from Eve, Jesus will be born as a Human, and die as a human just as Adam did, but will stand up from the dead, and will receive a different body than what He was born with.
A body that is immortal again, that will live forever.
He was the first to gain this immortality from a human body, and we will receive the same body which again will allow us to "Walk in paradise with God".
this is what is called the Gospel.
Death means nothing, and the plan on YHWH's creation to save His created friends' souls, actually destroyed Satan's hold on us humans.
and why does God still allow Satan to deceive the world?
Simply to let it run out and have every person on earth to fullfill his role as either saved, or condemned by our own doing.
Just think what will happen if God all of a sudden decides to forgive everyone, come to Earth and reveal Himself, and all mankind all of a sudden decides, OK, there is a God.
no, does not work this way.
God allows it to continue, and allows mankind to continue to rebel against Him.
He wants true friends, not persons who say they want to see God first, and then they will believe in Him.
such people will weaken the true spirit of those who loved God, and even gave up their lives for Him.
God wants them.

SA Huguenot

But God already tried this, as he had given the Angels free will as well, as we know that some of them rebelled against God, like Satan. So not only did he knew the result from giving them free will, but also what it would mean when he created man and did it once again.
My understanding is that the Angels rebelled against God when God created Adam and Eve and the Angels were on a level to serve Mankind.
this made Lucifer to deceive Adam, and to make him someone who sinned, and thereby Adam lost his original created sinless existence.
The angels never rebelled before God created Adam.

SA Huguenot

I don't really understand how you reach that conclusion?

Genesis 2:25
25 - And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

To not be ashamed of something, you need to be aware of what it is in the first place that you potentially should be ashamed of or at least it is a very strange way of using the word "ashamed" in my opinion.
Sorry...
I missed out on supplying you with smaller details.
1. Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:
2. Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him;

Psa 104:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment:
Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
Mat 17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Ezekiel 8:2 Then I looked, and behold, a likeness as the appearance of a man; from His loins and downward there was the appearance of fire, and from His loins and upward the appearance of brightness, like the appearance of glowing metal.

Psalm 94:1 O Lord, God of vengeance,
God of vengeance, shine forth!

Psalm 50:2 Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty,
God has shone forth.

Luke 2:9 And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened.
Oh, almost forgot, even the angels wear light as clothing. (God's light)
Mat 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
Mat 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe God killed persons who willfully challenged his authority with the will to mislead other people.
2. They tried to get rid of the prophets who lead Israel, to deceive them in rebellion against YHWH.
3. They tried to use the Baal worship of Idolatory, and temple prostitution to seduce Israel to leave YHWH, after they mad a covenant with Him to be his nation, and He their God.
4. They tried to pretend to be speaking for God, and thereby deceived inocent people in accepting idolatory.
5. They practiced Human sacrifice, Moloch fire worship by burning their first born, temple orgies, forcing women to once a year play prosteiute in their temples, Beastiality, Homosexuality and so forth.
6. they taught their children these practices.
The initiators of these deceptions were the ones executed, and not a single one was inocent of the above.

What spiritual lesson can we learn?
Even when God ruled over Israel with His prophets, the human was corrupt, and Satan achieved to remove God's created souls from Him.
Be carefull of those that want to teach you anything else than what God's law teaches.

Do you kind of see why some people see god as immoral?

I don't know how to get a positive message from reading consequences for people disobedience against god. I've never agreed with the death penalty for this same reason.

However,one thing we have that God dies not is fair trial and a jury.

Fear, guilt, obedience, at the expense of other people's lives doesn't ring as a good God st all.

The spiritual lesson you received sounds like fear and pressure to be good or be killed.

That (those values) doesn't sound healthy at all.

SeekingAllTruth

Quite a few pieces here! It will take many pieces to talk about so many aspects.

As to whether one would get a 2nd chance to hear the gospel, meaning for those that would seem as if they must have heard it, it can't be so easy for us to guess I think. On the one hand if they clearly understood fully the complete gospel during mortal life and rejected it, that would usually be thought to be a conclusive choice, but....one could imagine situations where it isn't so clear, very easily. For example, if the person simply wasn't listening very well, then it become more likely in my guessing to think that would be a case of not having heard it. Much more common today possibly could be a situation of having a part of the gospel, or perhaps not clearly said or in a way that was understood, so as not to really have the full version or the heart of it clearly, and then it would seem to me to be the same as not having heard it at all.

As to the far more speculative question about what other ways one might be drawn to the one true God well in this mortal life, one is left guessing at times. But the one true God does definitely say to "love your neighbor" for instance, so if a person is drawn to God in a real way, that message should be there, or understood, or felt as a compelling sense of what is right to do, or to feel something is wrong when not done. That's just one way to try to guess whether a person is drawn to the one true God. Some Christians try to say that God will find a way, and if you allow also that Christ went to the dead that presumably had not heard any version of the gospel (such as the version in Isaiah) to proclaim the gospel, such as in 1rst Peter, then if you count that as a 'way' also, then it does seem reasonable to think God will find some way no matter what to give everyone a chance. I don't think men can block God. I don't have any way to guess at all the ways He might pull someone to Him. Christ is the "way, the truth, and the Life" in a way that comes across clearly if you read all He says: the way is to love one another, for example. Someone once said to me that they didn't believe this or that about Christ, and I thought in that moment to say: "Who is Jesus? Jesus is the One Who said: 'Love one another as I have loved you'". Surely in this way, it's quite clear that God's way is in Christ's words, and of course to knowingly reject Him is then to reject God's way, the way of love. But notice that many think they know something about Jesus, but don't even know what He said.... Of course, they don't know about Him if they don't know what He said.
I didn't read the entire post but what I did read I counted three "guess" 's in there. We're talking about a Being who created the universe. Did he really have to leave us all "guessing" about what he demands from us??????

firedragon

Veteran Member

What about babies and animals?

Nimos

My understanding is that the Angels rebelled against God when God created Adam and Eve and the Angels were on a level to serve Mankind.
this made Lucifer to deceive Adam, and to make him someone who sinned, and thereby Adam lost his original created sinless existence.
The angels never rebelled before God created Adam.
This would probably end up being a very speculative talk :)

You might be right, but if so it would bring a lot of guessing, which would be very difficult to really get anything useful out of. Because suddenly we would just make up things about angels and what they are like and ain't, and as far as I know, the bible doesn't really contain a lot of information about them, we know about satan etc. and there are some other stories as well. But whether they were jealous of Adam and Eve, I don't really think one can find evidence for. Satan interact with them, but at least I didn't get the impression that he is jealous of them and that is his motive, but rather that he is questioning or wants to defy God, they are just the means for doing it.

But I don't know, really don't have a lot of opinion of whether its one or the other.

Psa 104:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment:
I think one have to be careful how to understand these references.

Psalms 104:1-4
1 - Bless the LORD, O my soul! O LORD my God, you are very great! You are clothed with splendor and majesty,
2 - covering yourself with light as with a garment, stretching out the heavens like a tent.
3 - He lays the beams of his chambers on the waters; he makes the clouds his chariot; he rides on the wings of the wind;
4 - he makes his messengers winds, his ministers a flaming fire.

This is a praising of God or what to say, like you could say about an amazing building for instance.. "And its towers reached into the sky itself and light from the sun, would make its roof shine as if it were covered with diamonds.." or some other nonsense :D

It's not to be taken literally as if the roof was in fact covered with diamonds. exactly like "he makes the clouds his chariot; he rides on the wings of the wind" I don't think anyone understand this as God actually doing that.

I don't really have an issue with God being a bright light, and it most likely is to be understood like that, I mean he can do what he want, and we know that he spoke to Moses from a burning bush as well. And personally I don't think God is meant to be human shaped, but more of a presence or what to say. So he might be able to appear human in clothing and all, so a bright light is equally as good for him.

But I don't think that really applies to Adam and Eve that was my point, simply because it is not mentioned in the bible, which I think it would if it had been important or relevant.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why would you find it as such.
I find it inspirational, true, historically correct, scientifically the source of all modern science....etc.
I find some of the Bible to be inspirational and I believe it contains spiritual truths, but I do not believe most of it is historically accurate or that it is scientifically the source of all modern science.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Even though I dont like the tone of calling the Bible a mess, which it is not, I do agree with the fact that without the OT, any one calling himself a Christian denying the OT, becomes an idolator.
They create a different god to the God of the Bible.
Sorry, I did not mean to be offensive. When I said the Bible is a mess, I meant that reading it and trying to understand what it means is like trying to navigate through an unmapped swamp. The Bible is also full of contradictions no doubt because it was written by so many different authors at so many different times. One cannot have a coherent work under those circumstances. Mind you, I was not raised as a Christian and I never read even one page of the Bible until eight years ago, and even now I have not even read the whole Bible, but I have seen enough to have an opinion.

I do not believe that God did all the things that He was purported yo have done in the Old Testament. I believe those were stories men wrote about God. These men had no contact with God, so logically speaking, how could they know what God said or did? These are serious questions. Why believe something when it cannot be verified as accurate? I consider it blasphemous to speak for God unless one is a Prophet of God, and the men who wrote the Old Testament and the New Testament were not Prophets, they were not even the disciples of Jesus. That presents certain logical problems when you call the Bible "the Word of God."

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I simply don't accept that the bible is a unitary work. Instead it's an anthology, and somewhat miscellaneous at that ─ folktales, folk histories, rules, songs and poetry, polemics, politics, wisdom ...

That conveniently overlooks.....
Conveniently overlooking? Hmmm. The passage that clearly explains the why -- the passage quoted in the post to which you are responding -- is from the very same book, earlier in the book.

Did you conveniently overlook that? would be a question to ask yourself then it would seem.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
That conveniently overlooks the use of human sacrifice to Yahweh throughout the bible, starting with Isaac

I didn't realize it myself on the first time or 2 reading through, but Abraham wasn't just saying a deception in this quote, but actually believed God would provide the sacrifice:

Genesis 22:8 Abraham answered, "God Himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two walked on together.

Which of course what happened, but notice the details:

10Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”

“Here I am,” he replied.

12“Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

13Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram a caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”

---------------------
A fair way of looking at the overall chapter is that God tested Abraham, But Also Signaled The End of Human Sacrifice Generally.

It would become a repeated command.
e.g. -- Deuteronomy 12:31 You must not worship the LORD your God in this way, because they practice for their gods every abomination which the LORD hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods.

-----------
The Old Testament is mostly (much of the time) a series of stories with plenty of people doing wrongs.

Not every time, but most of the time.

Even those that generally did what was right would fail at times and do serious wrongs.

So, one easy way to simply summarize the Old Testament in that particular regard would be:

Stories of Humans Usually Doing Wrong, and only sometimes Doing Right.

Of course, this simple characterization has some exceptions -- for example Enoch, Job .... -- but it's usually, mostly, it's a pretty good guess if you start reading a random story, most of the people, including often the main people, will do something seriously wrong, evil, and even the mostly-right-acting people also will at times.

You bought up another example, but this is just another example of people doing wrong. A foolish individual promising to sacrifice his own daughter is only another example of someone doing a serious wrong, and par for the course in a way: humans do plenty of really bad choices on their own, when they seek to decide everything for themselves by their own ways and standards.

Last edited: