• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does the star in Judaism came from?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, alot of information. Can you please help me to find, when was the first real hiostorical documented evidence found that Jewish used this star. I would be really thankful if you helped me with that.

kai

ragamuffin
Well, alot of information. Can you please help me to find, when was the first real hiostorical documented evidence found that Jewish used this star. I would be really thankful if you helped me with that.

The earliest archaeological evidence for the Jewish use of the symbol comes from an inscription attributed to Yehoshua ben Asayahu in the late 7th century BCE, in Sidon, in what is now Lebanon

well according to that particular article: I am curious why you ask?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The earliest archaeological evidence for the Jewish use of the symbol comes from an inscription attributed to Yehoshua ben Asayahu in the late 7th century BCE, in Sidon, in what is now Lebanon

well according to that particular article: I am curious why you ask?

Today, i read in one of the local newspapers that the Jews took this symbol from the Muslims.

Ok ok, i know you are shocked, because i was, too. haha :D

The article states that the one in charge of egyptian desert "synai or whatever they call it in english" located between egypt and palestine found out that the Jews took this symbole from one of the muslim buildings built by Salah Alddin Al-Ayobi, who fought against the Crusades in 1183 and that Salah Addin put this star at the top of the main gate there. This egyptian also found out that the star was also found in a plate belong to the othamnic empire dated from 969 to 1171. He also said that the candels which the Jews take as a symbole was taken from the Roman Emire in 70 AD.

Not to mention his assertion that all the jews took their symbols from the place they were living at and that particular civilization.

I don't know whether this is accurate or not, that's why i was asking about it.

kai

ragamuffin
Today, i read in one of the local newspapers that the Jews took this symbol from the Muslims.

Ok ok, i know you are shocked, because i was, too. haha :D i am not shocked at all remember David was a muslim he just didnt know it :)

The article states that the one in charge of egyptian desert "synai or whatever they call it in english" located between egypt and palestine found out that the Jews took this symbole from one of the muslim buildings built by Salah Alddin Al-Ayobi, who fought against the Crusades in 1183 and that Salah Addin put this star at the top of the main gate there. This egyptian also found out that the star was also found in a plate belong to the othamnic empire dated from 969 to 1171. He also said that the candels which the Jews take as a symbole was taken from the Roman Emire in 70 AD.

Not to mention his assertion that all the jews took their symbols from the place they were living at and that particular civilization.

The earliest known Jewish use of the hexagram was as a seal in ancient Israel (6th century B.C.E.) and then eight centuries later in a *synagogue frieze in Capernaum. But these early hexagrams may have been only ornamental designs; ironically, a swastika, another popular ancient motif, appears alongside the hexagram on the Capernaum synagogue wall. In the Middle Ages, hexagrams appear frequently on churches, but rarely in synagogues or on Jewish ritual objects. It was the *menorah that served as the primary Jewish symbol from antiquity until the post-Renaissance period, not the " Jewish star." this is a long time before the esteemed general Salah Addin

http://www.menorah.org/starofdavid.html

and they may be refering to the destruction of the second temple around 70 AD when the artifacts including menorah were carried off to Rome

Siege of Jerusalem (70 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

jewscout

Religious Zionist

Ok ok, i know you are shocked, because i was, too. haha :D

the Magen David, or Star of David, as Kai pointed out comes from ancient times and was a common symbol of many different peoples in the fertile cresent region which the ancient Israelites originated.

the Menorah, a far more jewish symbol IMPO, predates the fall of Jerusalem and the instructions for it's creation and use in the Temple can be found in the Torah. It is a far more common symbol for Jews and Judaism throughout history than the Star has been.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm sure the star predates The Prophet, Abu Khalid.
I always thought of it as the seal of Solomon. Solomon lived about 1000 years BCE.

Poisonshady313

I always thought of it as the seal of Solomon. Solomon lived about 1000 years BCE.
Even before that... Solomon's father, David.

"Magen David" means Shield of David. David, a warrior as much as a king, must have had this star emblazoned on his shield (and on those of his men)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But is there any proof that those prophets have used these signs or just that people thought to remmeber them through these signs?

Popeyesays

But is there any proof that those prophets have used these signs or just that people thought to remmeber them through these signs?
I am sure Muhammed would not have used a crescent moon and evening star during His life. As a symbol of importance it probably predates His life.

Jesus would hardly have used the cross as a symbol since it was not relevant to Him until His death.

Symbols cannot predate the reality of the APostles of God, since until the Apostle of God comes there is no need of a symbol for Him.

Regards,
Scott

kai

ragamuffin

there is very little evidence for the existence of David or Solomon but there is however archaeological evidence that the star and menorah were used as Jewish symbols which predate Islam

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This is religious history, Abu Khalid; history written by disparate people with agendas, often long after the fact -- very unreliable. We have no proof that Solomon even existed (see Kai's post, above).

I think the archaeological evidence for the Star carries more weight than the mythology that's been handed down through the ages.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the Magen David, or Star of David, as Kai pointed out comes from ancient times and was a common symbol of many different peoples in the fertile cresent region which the ancient Israelites originated.

the Menorah, a far more jewish symbol IMPO, predates the fall of Jerusalem and the instructions for it's creation and use in the Temple can be found in the Torah. It is a far more common symbol for Jews and Judaism throughout history than the Star has been.

Thanks jewscout. :)By the way, can you please mention for me some verses from the Torah which talks about the Menorah?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am sure Muhammed would not have used a crescent moon and evening star during His life. As a symbol of importance it probably predates His life.

Jesus would hardly have used the cross as a symbol since it was not relevant to Him until His death.

Symbols cannot predate the reality of the APostles of God, since until the Apostle of God comes there is no need of a symbol for Him.

Regards,
Scott

Most definitely, i'm not talking from a religious point of view in here of course.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
there is very little evidence for the existence of David or Solomon but there is however archaeological evidence that the star and menorah were used as Jewish symbols which predate Islam

This is religious history, Abu Khalid; history written by disparate people with agendas, often long after the fact -- very unreliable. We have no proof that Solomon even existed (see Kai's post, above).

I think the archaeological evidence for the Star carries more weight than the mythology that's been handed down through the ages.

You definitely have a point. :)

Poisonshady313

Thanks jewscout. :)By the way, can you please mention for me some verses from the Torah which talks about the Menorah?

Exodus 25:
31. And you shall make a menorah of pure gold. The menorah shall be made of hammered work; its base and its stem, its goblets, its knobs, and its flowers shall [all] be [one piece] with it.

32. And six branches coming out of its sides: three menorah branches from its one side and three menorah branches from its second side.

33. Three decorated goblets on one branch, a knob and a flower, and three decorated goblets on one branch, a knob and a flower; so for the six branches that come out of the menorah.

34. And on [the stem of] the menorah [shall be] four decorated goblets, its knobs and its flowers.

35. And a knob under the two branches from it, and a knob under the two branches from it, and a knob under the two branches from it; so for the six branches that come out of the menorah.

36. Their knobs and their branches shall [all] be [one piece] with it; all of it [shall be] one hammered mass of pure gold.

37. And you shall make its lamps seven, and he shall kindle its lamps [so that they] shed light toward its face.

38. And its tongs and its scoops [shall be] of pure gold.

39. He shall make it of a talent of pure gold, with all these implements.

Numbers 8
1. The Lord spoke to Moses, saying:

2. Speak to Aaron and say to him: "When you light the lamps, the seven lamps shall cast their light toward the face of the menorah."

3. Aaron did so; he lit the lamps toward the face of the menorah, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

4. This was the form of the menorah: hammered work of gold, from its base to its flower it was hammered work; according to the form that the Lord had shown Moses, so did he construct the menorah.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Exodus 25:
31. And you shall make a menorah of pure gold. The menorah shall be made of hammered work; its base and its stem, its goblets, its knobs, and its flowers shall [all] be [one piece] with it.

32. And six branches coming out of its sides: three menorah branches from its one side and three menorah branches from its second side.

33. Three decorated goblets on one branch, a knob and a flower, and three decorated goblets on one branch, a knob and a flower; so for the six branches that come out of the menorah.

34. And on [the stem of] the menorah [shall be] four decorated goblets, its knobs and its flowers.

35. And a knob under the two branches from it, and a knob under the two branches from it, and a knob under the two branches from it; so for the six branches that come out of the menorah.

36. Their knobs and their branches shall [all] be [one piece] with it; all of it [shall be] one hammered mass of pure gold.

37. And you shall make its lamps seven, and he shall kindle its lamps [so that they] shed light toward its face.

38. And its tongs and its scoops [shall be] of pure gold.

39. He shall make it of a talent of pure gold, with all these implements.

Numbers 8
1. The Lord spoke to Moses, saying:

2. Speak to Aaron and say to him: "When you light the lamps, the seven lamps shall cast their light toward the face of the menorah."

3. Aaron did so; he lit the lamps toward the face of the menorah, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

4. This was the form of the menorah: hammered work of gold, from its base to its flower it was hammered work; according to the form that the Lord had shown Moses, so did he construct the menorah.

Thank you. :)

Nehustan

I have read on more than one occasion that the star unifies the symbolism for the four elements, and it was David who first combined the four symbols into a star. Of course it could be argued about how far back in antiquity these symbols trace, but we have the elements certainly as far back as ancient Greece, arguably ancient Aegypt, and academics trace cultural diffusion into both civilisations from Mesopotamia/Assyria.

As to Solomon, it would seem fair he would 'inherit' his father's symbol, and while some seals of Solomon are indeed hexagrams, others are also rendered as pentagrams.

Last edited: