• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does the Bible say it is the "Word of God?"

Scott1

It could have just referred to John's passages or John could have had the insight to the Bible's eventual compilation.
Just remember that Revelation was not even included in many biblical canons for some 500 years!:

"While II Peter previously was the most disputed book, by this point, it was less controversial to the Christian mainstream. For instance, St. Cyril of Jerusalem (c. 315-386) and St. Gregory Nazianzus (329-389) accepted all 27 books except Revelation. On the other hand, in 405, Pope Innocent I wrote a letter which affirms a 26 book canon that excluded Hebrews. Clearly, it took some time to achieve universal acceptance among the Orthodox for Hebrews in the West, and Revelation in the East.
The Western Council of Hippo (393) was probably the first council to specify the limits of the canon, and it accepted the 27 book canon, allowing only them to be read in church under the name of canonical writings. It ``permitted, however, that the passions of martyrs, be read when their [martyrdoms'] anniversaries are celebrated.''

In the early fifth century, the Pe****ta became the official text of Syriac-speaking churches. It replaced the Diatessaron with the four gospels. It contained the 22 books of our New Testament other than II Peter, II John, III John, Jude, and Revelation.
Source: The Emergence of the New Testament Canon

... in light of this, I really can't see that John meant to bind a set group of books in the Bible.

Hope that helps,
S

Scott C.

Just one guy
I often hear people claiming that the Bible is the "Word of God," or that the men who wrote it were "divinely inspired," as if God was using them as a median to write the Bible in some way.

Is there anywhere in the Bible where it says this, or something along those lines?

I'm not trying to suggest anything. I'm just under the impression that there are no such passages claiming that the Bible was written by God.

I have not read the Bible enough, though, to see if this is in it; I am just taking the word of someone I know. So can someone please either provide a scripture that details that the Bible is the "Word of God," or can someone clarify for sure that there are no such passages.

There are verses in the Bible that teach that scripture comes from God through revelation and we should read and follow those scriptures. There are also verses that teach that man should not tamper with scripture, change scripture, or pretend to receive revelation. However, these verses do not identify which books that claim to be revelation, are indeed revelation.

jetset2

Timothy 3:16.... now when I asked a so called Christian the same question the answer was John 3:16. Then I asked about Ptolemy, Serapis, Constantine and the Council Of Nicea, Were they inspired by God. A God who's Genesis is white. who uses fear and retribution to control the masses, Just like "Gods chosen" the were mercenary under Hitler and they are Mercenary now. they justify what they are doing, but struggle with what Hitler did

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I often hear people claiming that the Bible is the "Word of God," or that the men who wrote it were "divinely inspired," as if God was using them as a median to write the Bible in some way.

Is there anywhere in the Bible where it says this, or something along those lines?

I'm not trying to suggest anything. I'm just under the impression that there are no such passages claiming that the Bible was written by God.

I have not read the Bible enough, though, to see if this is in it; I am just taking the word of someone I know. So can someone please either provide a scripture that details that the Bible is the "Word of God," or can someone clarify for sure that there are no such passages.

A good question.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The inspiration spoken of by Paul is different from the inspiration that inspires an artist to create a great work of beauty or a scientist to invent a grand new theory. Perhaps it would be easier to adduce other scripture to explain it:

So we have the prophetic message more fully confirmed. You will do well to be attentive to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by human will, but men and women moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. 2 Peter 1:19 - 21

Traditionally, this has been taken to mean that although the bible had human authors, the content of the scriptures is not merely their ideas, as though they as humans simply came up with some brilliant theological things to say. Rather, they wrote as God moved them. Now, does this mean that God is responsible for every single word? Or only the actual ideas themselves? Or what? What contribution is made by the human authors? Well, there's some debate about that. But however we understand the human contribution, it doesn't amount to simply being one guy's opinion. There was a unified mind behind all the writings that we take to be scripture.

Also helpful in connection with the question of the extent of scripture:

But, in accordance with his promise, we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home.

Therefore, beloved, while you are waiting for these things, strive to be found by him at peace, without spot or blemish; and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, beware that you are not carried away with the error of the lawless and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
2 Peter 3.16 - 18

Here the writer of 2 Peter affirms that Paul's letters have the status of scripture.

But in the end, Christians must admit that the bible itself does not specifically state exactly what books are scripture, with a few exceptions. So it was necessary for the church to pronounce on such matters given the rise of heresies and the need to distinguish itself from the Judaism from which it sprung. I believe we can have confidence in that decision because, first of all, the standard for canonicity is very high, and second of all, the decision was made unanimously by a united church. We can therefore presume it was led by God in making its decision.

Paul was an enemy of Jesus and his disciples; he never got associated with Jesus.
Paul became an unauthorized successor of Jesus by inventing a vision; where is his inspiration?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
1 Corinthians 14:37 (King James Version)

If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

You're either going to believe that, or not.

If not, there's not much point talking about it.

Who told him ? Neither G-d no Jesus.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
2 Peter 1:20-21 (New International Version)

20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Which prophecy exactly you mean?

Regards

Unification

It isn't the Word of God. The Word of God is Christ which speaks to each and every one of us within. The Spirit in every individual. The bible is often used as a weapon of oppression against the world by mans vain carnal mind. The letter kills but he Spirit gives life. Scriptures are scriptures. The word of God is living and active inside of us. The Spirit is supposed to teach us the scriptures not the scriptures teach us about God. The scriptures contain testimonies and words spoken by God through a prophet. The scriptures and the Bible are a beautiful book, but it's not the final authority and I'll never exalt a book above the living and active Lord in my life. Scriptures are not meant to be taken literal and outwardly. Everything is metaphorical and has a spiritual meaning. Internally. Takes the Spirit to teach the spiritual writings. The bible being the Word of God is one of the most evil lies. It contains words spoken by God but the Word of Hod that spoke those words is the living Lord inside all of mankind. Just have to waken Him, and shut our own trained and deceived and carnal minds up through mediation and forsake all and everything we think we know for the one and true divine truth. Listen to the Lord. Be still and know I am God. Not go to a service building and listen to a man give his own carnally minded interpretation of man doctrines. Then give him your money. It's silly.

bird

There is not any doubt that Jesus is 'the Word of God' based on John 1:1 ("In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.") and John 1:14 ("And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth").

We can also see that the words of God's mouth are called the 'law' (Psalm 78:1b): " Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth". I am of the opinion that the term 'law' in the Bible is referring to the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation. A look at Psalm 119 shows 'law' being used interchangeably with words like "testimonies', 'precepts', 'statutes', and 'thy word'. The blessed man in Psalm 1 meditates on the law day and night, and I take this to mean the entire Bible. The word 'book' occurs at least 188 times in the Bible and includes phrases like: ' thy book which thou hast written','my book','book of this law','book of the law of God','book of the covenant','volume of the book','thy book','book of the living','book of the Lord','heard out of the book all the words of the Lord','book of the generation of Jesus Christ','book of life',' the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world','the prophecy of this book'.
I don't think that there is a scripture which spells out that the Bible's 66 books are the 'word of God' other than to say that all scripture is inspired by God (2 Tim 3:16). Some debate whether these 66 books are the ones that are supposed to be the law of God, or the Bible. I take it on faith that God was in charge of getting it out in that form. All of the 66 books seem to be from God when I read them.

029b10

There is not any doubt that Jesus is 'the Word of God' based on John 1:1 ("In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.") and John 1:14 ("And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth").

But none the less they don't see God when they pick up their Bibles only proves they honor him with the lips but their hearts are far from him.

If the Spirit and the Word are the Holy Ghost, kinda like a man and his wife are one flesh. Then how did the Word become flesh except that it be a lie since it was the Holy Ghost that descended to bring him back to life when they killed him in Jordan. Like he said, the Baptism of John, was it from heaven or of men, Answer Me!

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Have you ever received a letter in the post from your local elected member? His/Her signature may have been on the letter, but as you know, the letter was drafted and distributed by other government employees. This is a similar case with the bible. The writers were writing on behalf of God.

2Samuel 23:2 The spirit of Jehovah spoke through me;+ His word was on my tongue.+
3 The God of Israel spoke; To me the Rock of Israel+ said:
‘When the one ruling over mankind is righteous,+ Ruling in the fear of God
..."

Exodus 34:27 And Jehovah went on to say to Moses: “Write down for yourself these words,+because it is in accordance with these words that I do conclude a covenant with you and Israel.”+28 And he continued there with Jehovah forty days and forty nights. He ate no bread and he drank no water.+ And he* proceeded to write upon the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Words

Isaiah 61:1 The spirit of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah is upon me,+
Because Jehovah anointed me to declare good news to the meek

Jeremiah 1:
1 The words of Jeremiah*+ the son of Hil·kiʹah,* one of the priests that were in Anʹa·thoth+ in the land of Benjamin;+ 2 to whom the word of Jehovah occurred in the days of Jo·siʹah...4 And the word of Jehovah began to occur to me, saying:....

Zechariah 1:
1 In the eighth month in the second year of Da·riʹus+ the word of Jehovah occurred to Zech·a·riʹah+ the son of Ber·e·chiʹah* the son of Idʹdo+ the prophet, saying:2 “Jehovah grew indignant at YOUR fathers—very much so.+
3 “And you must say to them, ‘This is what Jehovah of armies* has said: “‘Return to me,’+ is the utterance of Jehovah* of armies, ‘and I shall return to YOU,’+ Jehovah* of armies has said.”’

These are but a few examples which show that the writers of the various bible books were writing under instruction.

Clear

Premium Member
Forum members : In response to Jistyr’s OP which asks where the bible says it is the “word of God”,

Green Kepi in post #2 refers to 2Tim 3:16 and Fantome profane in post #3 quotes 2 Timothy 3:16 as : “All scripture is given by inspiration of God....”

I just wanted to make a quick observation

#1 No Greek manuscript (the source for current NT text) uses or adds the words “is given” to this sentence, thus, the quote offered us by Fantome profane is incorrect.

The Greek of NA-27 and GN4 is “ πασα γραφη θεοπνευστοσ και ωφιλιμοσ προσ διδασκολιαν...” or "Every scripture (is) God-inspired and profitable for teaching...etc".

#2 The principle involved in 2 Tim 3:16 is that the characteristic of being inspired by God was the characteristic which identified and determined what was viewed as “scripture” to the various christian movements and schisms in early Christianity. It was not particularly who wrote the text since all early texts are pseudographic to the extent that we cannot prove who wrote them as they stand. We attribute the authorship by steep tradition but no one can know or prove discrete authorship.

Clear
φιφυφυτωω

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Clear said in post # 35 : " Green Kepi in post #2 refers to 2Tim 3:16 and Fantome profane in post #3 quotes 2 Timothy 3:16 as : “All scripture is given by inspiration of God....” I just wanted to make a quick observation

#1 No Greek manuscript (the source for current NT text) uses or adds the words “is given” to this sentence, thus, the quote offered us by Fantome profane is incorrect.
The Greek of NA-27 and GN4 is “ πασα γραφη θεοπνευστοσ και ωφιλιμοσ προσ διδασκολιαν...” or "Every scripture (is) God-inspired and profitable for teaching...etc".

#2 The principle involved in 2 Tim 3:16 is that the characteristic of being inspired by God was the characteristic which identified and determined what was viewed as “scripture” to the various christian movements and schisms in early Christianity. It was not particularly who wrote the text since all early texts are pseudographic to the extent that we cannot prove who wrote them as they stand. We attribute the authorship by steep tradition but no one can know or prove discrete auth
orship."

In my attempt to make a quick point I forgot to point out that, since the greek lacks the word "is" as well as "given" (english grammar requires some verb), however, the greek allowed for varying placement.

The translation "Every God-inspired writing (is) profitable for teaching....etc." is just as likely, perhaps more likely than the one in the above quote, (since not all writings were considered inspired), but, those that were considered inspired, were the ones considered profitable by the various christian movements, whether or not they made it into the later, "western cannon". For example, those that made it into and still exist in eastern christian canons (e.g. ethiopian) are still considered inspired by the christians who read them today.

Clear

φιφυακφυω

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

It wouldn't have to state that, if it isn't in the text. We know that, because the word is inspired.