• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does the Bible say it is the "Word of God?"

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
I often hear people claiming that the Bible is the "Word of God," or that the men who wrote it were "divinely inspired," as if God was using them as a median to write the Bible in some way.

Is there anywhere in the Bible where it says this, or something along those lines?

I'm not trying to suggest anything. I'm just under the impression that there are no such passages claiming that the Bible was written by God.

I have not read the Bible enough, though, to see if this is in it; I am just taking the word of someone I know. So can someone please either provide a scripture that details that the Bible is the "Word of God," or can someone clarify for sure that there are no such passages.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
2 Timothy 3:16....
2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God,…

I have just two questions about this part of the verse. First what does it mean by “All scripture”? And second what does it mean by “is given by inspiration of God”?

What would the author of this book (Paul) means by “All scripture”? To me it seems reasonable to assume that the phrase would not include parts of the bible that had not yet been written or parts that he had not read. I am also not sure that he would have considered his own personal correspondences to be scripture. I would interpret from the context that he was referring mainly to what we would refer to as the Old Testament. Yet even with that the question comes up does it include the Jewish Apocryphal? I don’t know.

And obviously I could be wrong. Perhaps somehow he did intend to include in this statement “All scripture” that he knew of, that he didn’t know of, that had been written as well as that that would be written in the future. But if that is the case does it include the Gnostic gospels and the Christian Apocryphal? How do we know if it does or does not? It does not seem reasonable to me that Paul would have been referring specifically to the books that would be selected by a committee so many years latter.

And if Paul was referring to scripture that was to come does that include the Koran, the book of Mormon? And could it also refer to Eastern texts such as the Tao Te Ching or the Dharma Parda ect? Are they scripture? How do we know what is and what isn’t scripture? Perhaps this verse refers to everything that has been written or ever will be written by any person anywhere. Perhaps what I am writing at this very moment could be considered scripture.

The second question is what does it mean to be inspired by “God”? Was Mozart inspired by “God”? Was Shakespeare inspired by “God”? How about Stephen King? And if it was inspired by “God” what was it inspired to do? Was it inspired to be literal truth? Paul doesn’t say that, he says it was inspired to be “useful” or “profitable”. A good debate can be extremely useful, considering all points of view can be extremely profitable. A good analogy or metaphor can be useful. A simply entertaining story can be profitable (just ask Stephen King). So what does it mean to be inspired by “God”. I can tell you I felt very inspired to write this post, who is to say that I wasn’t inspired by “God”.

Where did you dig up this question,I like it.It is so true that man wrote the bible about God and not God writing it for man.Inspired yes,wisdom from beggining to end.I dont think man can have wisdom without being inspired from the powers that be.Is the Bible the word of god?I really hope so.

Dunemeister

The inspiration spoken of by Paul is different from the inspiration that inspires an artist to create a great work of beauty or a scientist to invent a grand new theory. Perhaps it would be easier to adduce other scripture to explain it:

So we have the prophetic message more fully confirmed. You will do well to be attentive to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by human will, but men and women moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. 2 Peter 1:19 - 21

Traditionally, this has been taken to mean that although the bible had human authors, the content of the scriptures is not merely their ideas, as though they as humans simply came up with some brilliant theological things to say. Rather, they wrote as God moved them. Now, does this mean that God is responsible for every single word? Or only the actual ideas themselves? Or what? What contribution is made by the human authors? Well, there's some debate about that. But however we understand the human contribution, it doesn't amount to simply being one guy's opinion. There was a unified mind behind all the writings that we take to be scripture.

Also helpful in connection with the question of the extent of scripture:

But, in accordance with his promise, we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home.

Therefore, beloved, while you are waiting for these things, strive to be found by him at peace, without spot or blemish; and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, beware that you are not carried away with the error of the lawless and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
2 Peter 3.16 - 18

Here the writer of 2 Peter affirms that Paul's letters have the status of scripture.

But in the end, Christians must admit that the bible itself does not specifically state exactly what books are scripture, with a few exceptions. So it was necessary for the church to pronounce on such matters given the rise of heresies and the need to distinguish itself from the Judaism from which it sprung. I believe we can have confidence in that decision because, first of all, the standard for canonicity is very high, and second of all, the decision was made unanimously by a united church. We can therefore presume it was led by God in making its decision.

CDB

1 Corinthians 14:37 (King James Version)

If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

You're either going to believe that, or not.

If not, there's not much point talking about it.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I often hear people claiming that the Bible is the "Word of God," or that the men who wrote it were "divinely inspired," as if God was using them as a median to write the Bible in some way.

Is there anywhere in the Bible where it says this, or something along those lines?

I'm not trying to suggest anything. I'm just under the impression that there are no such passages claiming that the Bible was written by God.

I have not read the Bible enough, though, to see if this is in it; I am just taking the word of someone I know. So can someone please either provide a scripture that details that the Bible is the "Word of God," or can someone clarify for sure that there are no such passages.

I don't think there is any scripture that says the BIBLE is the word of God. The Bible wasn't assembled until after these scriptures were written.

Green Kepi

I don't think there is any scripture that says the BIBLE is the word of God. The Bible wasn't assembled until after these scriptures were written.

What do you think the Old Testament Scriptures were (including the Mishnah (earily Talmud)...just a bunch of wordage?

Jeremy Mason

2 Peter 1:20-21 (New International Version)

20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
:bow:
2 Peter 1:20-21 (New International Version)

20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
:bow: II Cor 4:8-9 We are troubled on every side yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
Persecuted, but not forsaken;cast down, but not destroyed; Jeremy, Green, CDB, Blueman, Dunemeister, Manipulated Great Job, Keep the faith

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
What do you think the Old Testament Scriptures were (including the Mishnah (earily Talmud)...just a bunch of wordage?

The Old Testament Scriptures were exactly that, scriptures. The Bible wasn't assembled until after a couple hureder years or so after Christ's death. I don't think you would deny that since it is most definatly historical. So since the Bible wasn't assembled until after the scriptures were written, the scriptures contained therein wouldn't reference the Bible. Personally I don't believe the Bible contains all scripture but it does contain scripture. So therefore I would say the Bible CONTAINS the Word of God, but it it is not THE Word of God.

Dunemeister

The Old Testament Scriptures were exactly that, scriptures. The Bible wasn't assembled until after a couple hureder years or so after Christ's death. I don't think you would deny that since it is most definatly historical. So since the Bible wasn't assembled until after the scriptures were written, the scriptures contained therein wouldn't reference the Bible. Personally I don't believe the Bible contains all scripture but it does contain scripture. So therefore I would say the Bible CONTAINS the Word of God, but it it is not THE Word of God.

That's certainly a viable position to take. It's possible that there is actual scripture outside the canon. However, for it to be considered scripture, it would at least have to be consistent with the canonized scriptures. Thus the apocrypha could be in, but the gnostic gospels out.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
That's certainly a viable position to take. It's possible that there is actual scripture outside the canon. However, for it to be considered scripture, it would at least have to be consistent with the canonized scriptures. Thus the apocrypha could be in, but the gnostic gospels out.

Well thank you. I would even go so far as to say that some canonized scriptures aren't 100% scripture. Basically for me it's all about content. If there is something of value that brings me closer to God then I accept it as scripture. So even Muslim books, Hindu, etc. books may contain scripture. Although, I haven't read them yet. But as you said it would need to be consitent with my beliefs about God's plan for us.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Revelation 22:18 strongly suggests that this is the word of God but also applies severe penalties to anyone who adds to it.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;

....but fortunately these penalties do not apply to anyone who writes their own Bible.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
John tells us that Jesus is the Word of God. There is nothing in scripture about scripture being on par with God's word! There is also nothing about it being without error. That's a man made construct.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Revelation 22:18 strongly suggests that this is the word of God but also applies severe penalties to anyone who adds to it.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;
So do you think Revelation 22:18 was referring to the Bible as a whole?

....but fortunately these penalties do not apply to anyone who writes their own Bible.
Somebody did that?

cardero

Citizen Mod
So do you think Revelation 22:18 was referring to the Bible as a whole?
It could have just referred to John's passages or John could have had the insight to the Bible's eventual compilation.

cardero writes: ....but fortunately these penalties do not apply to anyone who writes their own Bible.
Katzpur writes: Somebody did that?
I remember a few Upstate NY authors who did this. ;)

Sola'lor

LDSUJC

Well considering that Revelations was not the last Book in the Bible to be written. Also considering that this was written long before the Bible was enven considered. It is obvious that this warning is refering only to the Book fo Revelation. There is also one of these warnings in Deuteronomy. If that warning applies to anything other than that specific Book then the Bible should have ended with that verse. That is because everything after that would be an addition.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It could have just referred to John's passages or John could have had the insight to the Bible's eventual compilation.
Honestly, I don't see how anybody could think that the warning in Revelation was in reference to the entire Bible. That simply does not make sense.

I remember a few Upstate NY authors who did this. ;)
I saw it coming, Patrick, but we really don't have more than one Bible. :no: