• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does an Atheist get their morals?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Either humans are capable of determining the difference between moral rectitude or turpitude, or we are not. If we are, then why would we need divine diktat at all? If we are not, then how can anyone assert any deity's commands are in fact moral? Beyond subjective assertion of course.

My subjective view is that our morals should try and avoid, and as far as is possible prevent, all unnecessary suffering. Certainly in humans, and to a lesser extent all conscious animals.

From there I can try to make objective assessments of how "moral" actions are.

Yes, I use the same method. The difference if any is how we individually understand "...our morals should try and avoid, and as far as is possible prevent, all unnecessary suffering."

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps the religious gravitate to prescriptive, deontological systems because of an innate, moral defect that retards the development of an internalized morality, such as we atheists have. The Abrahamics take it a step further with their judgemental, constantly monitoring and threatening God, which, apparently, is all that prevents their running amok.
o_O

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Perhaps the religious gravitate to prescriptive, deontological systems because of an innate, moral defect that retards the development of an internalized morality, such as we atheists have. The Abrahamics take it a step further with their judgemental, constantly monitoring and threatening God, which, apparently, is all that prevents their running amok.
o_O

Yeah, declare it a defect. I call it a variation.