• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you find the magic?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am curious*, where did you find the magic?

I know a lot of Pagans follow the folklore and magic systems practiced by their god/s etc. Without my needing to do much research and by twenty to over forty page books, where do you find the magic?

Is it weaved within history books? Say when I looked up encyclopedia of Man, Myth, and Magic (have to revisit that books) it has a lot of excepts of magic practice as related to mythology from pre-christian to neopagan. Its a collage.

Here are some books I skimed over (dont know how to title the links)

Man, Myth, and Magic
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Myth-Magic-Illustrated-Encyclopedia/dp/185435731X

EDIT If you have web sites that give me an idea of what Im askingb(cheat sheets) thats cool

Where do you find the magic?

*This is for curiousity. I usually create my own spells with a little information from books.

Last edited:

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
I could use magic but I do not. I trust the Gods and Goddesses mainly in that area, I am open to it I just don't do it. Magic is a big deal.

Covellite

Usually, when I think of magic, I think of practical magic. I mean, if I have an urgent situation, I try to transform my vibes to make some changes, inside and outside, with a simple magical operation. I find it's important to do it as soon as possible - the reason: my vibes are very strong and my magic would be also. I expect results in a very short time.
Another type of magic has a spiritual nature. It takes a lot of preparation and work to be done. It's far more complex. It takes years...

Covellite

Your question: where did you find the magic?
From many different sources. I started with affirmation/visualization long time ago. I read many books, had to learn something by heart and heard so many useful advises. With experiences you can be more creative and find what kind of magic suits you most. Eventually, you will find your own magic :)

sPagan

Oh my deer
Good thread, I hope more people will reply to it because I wonder the same. I have few books on making talismans, rituals and other things with magic but always felt that there aren't legit or that some things are missing (important ones) for the things to work the way you want them to work. I'm not (at the moment) much into practising magic, but I do read about it on some websites, eBooks and so on - my mother knows a woman who's been into Arabic magic for a long time, but I can't talk with that woman about magic. :(

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Good thread, I hope more people will reply to it because I wonder the same. I have few books on making talismans, rituals and other things with magic but always felt that there aren't legit or that some things are missing (important ones) for the things to work the way you want them to work. I'm not (at the moment) much into practising magic, but I do read about it on some websites, eBooks and so on - my mother knows a woman who's been into Arabic magic for a long time, but I can't talk with that woman about magic. :(

I hoped so too. Ive always thought magic is something the person creates (or was handed down already created). Things that other people would call supersitious. My grandmothet put an upside horse shoe over our front door when I was little. She said it warded off evil spirits (or however she termed it). Can you imagine my buying a horseshoe and nailing it over my door?

As for book, I was thinking maybex say Asutru practitioners get their magic from the traditions with the Eureopean culture. While the magic I try to practice is from the south US, hoodoo (loosely) since thats literally where all my family is from both sides.

I wonder how Pagans personally define what they do as magic if they practice it. Can they define it.

Why is it something they dont practice or do?

:shrug:

sPagan

Oh my deer
I hoped so too. Ive always thought magic is something the person creates (or was handed down already created). Things that other people would call supersitious. My grandmothet put an upside horse shoe over our front door when I was little. She said it warded off evil spirits (or however she termed it). Can you imagine my buying a horseshoe and nailing it over my door?

As for book, I was thinking maybex say Asutru practitioners get their magic from the traditions with the Eureopean culture. While the magic I try to practice is from the south US, hoodoo (loosely) since thats literally where all my family is from both sides.

I wonder how Pagans personally define what they do as magic if they practice it. Can they define it.

Why is it something they dont practice or do?

:shrug:

Just putting a horse shoe on front door I think won't do anything unless specific deities are invoked for protection if you ask me. In Europe it's considered as luck. :D Many pagans won't practice magic for lots of different reasons, some simply don't find it attractive and let the destiny do its job. Some are simply scared of consequences that might occur if something isn't done right (which is to be honest my issue at the moment.) :(

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Just putting a horse shoe on front door I think won't do anything unless specific deities are invoked for protection if you ask me. In Europe it's considered as luck. :D Many pagans won't practice magic for lots of different reasons, some simply don't find it attractive and let the destiny do its job. Some are simply scared of consequences that might occur if something isn't done right (which is to be honest my issue at the moment.) :(

I kinda see magic differently. Without it, I dont know how to really live spiritually. Light candles, saying prayers, doing little things for protection, gratitude, and I guess luck are all magic. I dont know about the deities. I believe in spirits. Although the Spirits have a lot to do with some magic, mostly its involving and interacting within the universe (I guess the right term) or shaman of the spirits. Its a interconnection and what we do when we are within that connection is magic for me.

I dont see how it can harm unless someone invoked negstive spirits or in an area where there was blood shed and used the spirits there then the consequences will vary just as every other person and thing we communicate with on a daily basis.

I wonder what kind of magic would be dangerous unless it was used in a dangerous manner. The only way I see that happening is doing things against the natural laws (spiritual and physical combined). Confliction between the spirits. (Im an animist)

sPagan

Oh my deer
I kinda see magic differently. Without it, I dont know how to really live spiritually. Light candles, saying prayers, doing little things for protection, gratitude, and I guess luck are all magic. I dont know about the deities. I believe in spirits. Although the Spirits have a lot to do with some magic, mostly its involving and interacting within the universe (I guess the right term) or shaman of the spirits. Its a interconnection and what we do when we are within that connection is magic for me.

I dont see how it can harm unless someone invoked negstive spirits or in an area where there was blood shed and used the spirits there then the consequences will vary just as every other person and thing we communicate with on a daily basis.

I wonder what kind of magic would be dangerous unless it was used in a dangerous manner. The only way I see that happening is doing things against the natural laws (spiritual and physical combined). Confliction between the spirits. (Im an animist)

I don't consider lighting the candles, praying and offerings to be magic but more as asking the god(s) to guide me and do something for me if it's right and will be good for me or to simply show my gratitude to them. But using magic would be me forcing something as I want and baring the consequences no matter what they are.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't consider lighting the candles, praying and offerings to be magic but more as asking the god(s) to guide me and do something for me if it's right and will be good for me or to simply show my gratitude to them. But using magic would be me forcing something as I want and baring the consequences no matter what they are.
hmm. Forcing? Tamato, tamoto?

GoodbyeDave

I dabbled in the Golden Dawn system years ago, but I didn't have the talent for magic. Of course, my religion doesn't include magic, unlike Wicca. In fact magic in the sense of producing results by the willed manipulation of natural forces is a post-Christian thing. In ancient times, as in modern China, what would now be done with magic was done with spirits: low level religion, as it were.

Good thread, I hope more people will reply to it because I wonder the same.
If you'd made it, few people would have read it! Your choice of colour (and size) makes your reply completely unreadable: please restrain your creativity!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I dabbled in the Golden Dawn system years ago, but I didn't have the talent for magic. Of course, my religion doesn't include magic, unlike Wicca. In fact magic in the sense of producing results by the willed manipulation of natural forces is a post-Christian thing. In ancient times, as in modern China, what would now be done with magic was done with spirits: low level religion, as it were.

If you'd made it, few people would have read it! Your choice of colour (and size) makes your reply completely unreadable: please restrain your creativity!

Is there a talent needed for magic? Im incorporating more folk magic. The talent I need is learning how to take care of herbs, cook for the spirits, and using symbols and certain dances in ritual. I guess it takes patience, energy, most definitely.

sPagan

Oh my deer
Is there a talent needed for magic? Im incorporating more folk magic. The talent I need is learning how to take care of herbs, cook for the spirits, and using symbols and certain dances in ritual. I guess it takes patience, energy, most definitely.

There is a talent for magic & spiritual things for sure, but that shouldn't discourage you for your goal. Someone doesn't have a talent for playing piano, but if they give enough will into it and learning they will master it. ;)

Cassandra

I am curious*, where did you find the magic?

I know a lot of Pagans follow the folklore and magic systems practiced by their god/s etc. Without my needing to do much research and by twenty to over forty page books, where do you find the magic?

Is it weaved within history books? Say when I looked up encyclopedia of Man, Myth, and Magic (have to revisit that books) it has a lot of excepts of magic practice as related to mythology from pre-christian to neopagan. Its a collage.

Here are some books I skimed over (dont know how to title the links)

Man, Myth, and Magic

EDIT If you have web sites that give me an idea of what Im askingb(cheat sheets) thats cool

Where do you find the magic?

*This is for curiousity. I usually create my own spells with a little information from books.
Please define magic.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Please define magic.

Every Pagan defines magic differently. Plus, I forgot I created this thread.

Where do you get your magic? In other words, how you see magic? Where did that definition (for lack of better words) come from? Did it come from folklore, LHP books, intuition? As a Pagan who worships multiple gods, do you get your magic (how you define it) from your gods?

The book in my OP is part of a Encyclopedia of magic from all religions, historical perspective, traditions from I don't know how old to modern. Its a good book for the academic eye. If there is a preview, read that, you can get an idea that magic doesnt have a simple definition.

How and where do you get your magic (however you define it)?

Cassandra

Where do you get your magic? Sorry Carlita, I still do not understand the question.
What magic and what am I supposed to do with it?