• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Mohamad get his revelations?

Where, as in what place, and from who, did Mohamad get his revelations?

I once corresponded with an Imam by email, asking him much the same question. I asked him if Muhammed experienced Numbers 12:6 KJV Bible. He replied, that he didn't know. His understanding, is that Muhammed was 'in a trance' when he received his 'revelations'. He also told me, that the book of 'Numbers' was NOT in the Qur'an. How convenient!

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
Revelation started in Mecca.
"......The Quran was revealed by God to the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) over a period of about 23 years. The revelations were conveyed to the Prophet in small segment by the angel Gabriel who made the Prophet recite the revealed verses in his presence.

From the very outset, the Prophet employed two independent but mutually complementary methods for preserving the revelations. The two methods used for this purpose were memorisation and inscription. Besides ensuring independently the transmission of the revelation, the two methods also served as internal checks, thus ensuring its accurate preservation................."

Source: Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

WHERE THE REVELATION BEGAN
" Muhammad was now approaching his fortieth year. Always pensive, he had of late become even more thoughtful and retiring. Contemplation and reflection engaged his mind, and the moral debasement of his people pressed heavily on him. His soul was perplexed with uncertainty as to what was the right path to follow. Thus burdened, he frequently retired to seek relief in meditation amongst the solitary valleys and rocks near Mecca. His favourite resort was a cave in Mount Hira, a lofty conical hill two or three miles north of Mecca. Thither he would retire for days at a time, and Khadija sometimes accompanied him.

During this period he began to see dreams, which were fulfilled according to their true import. This was an indication that he had now come up to the standard mentioned in 20:41 with reference to Moses. It was on a Monday in the last ten days of the blessed month of Ramadhan when he was occupied in worship in the cave that he suddenly perceived an unfamiliar presence before him. It addressed him and said, ‘Recite’, to which he replied: ‘I am not able to recite’. Thereupon the presence seized him and, clasping him to its bosom, squeezed him hard and then, releasing him, directed him again, ‘Recite’, and received the same reply as the first time. This was repeated once more, as if the embrace had been intended each time to influence Muhammad’s heart and to prepare him for the message that was to be delivered to him. After the third embrace, the presence released Muhammad and directed him: ‘Recite in the name of thy Lord Who created. He created man from a clot of blood. Recite, for thy Lord is Most Beneficent, Who has taught by the pen, taught man that which he knew not’ (96:2-6)..."

Source:Muhammad: The Divine Call

Peace be on you.
Revelation started in Mecca.
"......The Quran was revealed by God to the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) over a period of about 23 years. The revelations were conveyed to the Prophet in small segment by the angel Gabriel who made the Prophet recite the revealed verses in his presence.

From the very outset, the Prophet employed two independent but mutually complementary methods for preserving the revelations. The two methods used for this purpose were memorisation and inscription. Besides ensuring independently the transmission of the revelation, the two methods also served as internal checks, thus ensuring its accurate preservation................."

Source: Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

WHERE THE REVELATION BEGAN
" Muhammad was now approaching his fortieth year. Always pensive, he had of late become even more thoughtful and retiring. Contemplation and reflection engaged his mind, and the moral debasement of his people pressed heavily on him. His soul was perplexed with uncertainty as to what was the right path to follow. Thus burdened, he frequently retired to seek relief in meditation amongst the solitary valleys and rocks near Mecca. His favourite resort was a cave in Mount Hira, a lofty conical hill two or three miles north of Mecca. Thither he would retire for days at a time, and Khadija sometimes accompanied him.

During this period he began to see dreams, which were fulfilled according to their true import. This was an indication that he had now come up to the standard mentioned in 20:41 with reference to Moses. It was on a Monday in the last ten days of the blessed month of Ramadhan when he was occupied in worship in the cave that he suddenly perceived an unfamiliar presence before him. It addressed him and said, ‘Recite’, to which he replied: ‘I am not able to recite’. Thereupon the presence seized him and, clasping him to its bosom, squeezed him hard and then, releasing him, directed him again, ‘Recite’, and received the same reply as the first time. This was repeated once more, as if the embrace had been intended each time to influence Muhammad’s heart and to prepare him for the message that was to be delivered to him. After the third embrace, the presence released Muhammad and directed him: ‘Recite in the name of thy Lord Who created. He created man from a clot of blood. Recite, for thy Lord is Most Beneficent, Who has taught by the pen, taught man that which he knew not’ (96:2-6)..."

Source:Muhammad: The Divine Call

I too, am a Prophet. I am NOT a false prophet. I experienced Numbers 12:6 KJV Bible, and much more. God did not deviate from His Word. He used only the KJV Bible to teach me the truth. I have seen Christ standing on the right hand of God. They are identical in appearance, as scripture states. They do not have long hair and beards. They appear as men in their early thirties, dressed in pure white robes. There is no way to leave the vision. During the vision, you are in constant prayer while being shown many things. You cannot see any of your surroundings. The vision alone, is what you are allowed to see. You hear no other sounds. You are 'locked into' the vision, totally.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Probably from his subconscious...

"The Ancient Greeks seemed to be somewhat ignorant about the mind, as we think of it. For instance, in writing about thinking, they would refer to it as a conversation with the Gods. In the Iliad, Homer never refers to the heroes actually thinking. In every case he speaks of them conversing with a God. Even in Plato's Socratic Dialogues, Plato does not speak, as we would, of Socrates thinking, but says he has a demon with which he converses. The Greeks seemed to believe, like us, that thinking and intuitions came from somewhere other than the conscious mind. Because these mental phenomena did not come from the visible world, the Greeks considered them to come from the invisible world, populated by Gods and Demons. Referring to the same phenomenon, we would say they originate in the unconscious mind."

Mind Development - The Unconscious Mind

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I too, am a Prophet. I am NOT a false prophet. I experienced Numbers 12:6 KJV Bible, and much more. God did not deviate from His Word. He used only the KJV Bible to teach me the truth. I have seen Christ standing on the right hand of God. They are identical in appearance, as scripture states. They do not have long hair and beards. They appear as men in their early thirties, dressed in pure white robes. There is no way to leave the vision. During the vision, you are in constant prayer while being shown many things. You cannot see any of your surroundings. The vision alone, is what you are allowed to see. You hear no other sounds. You are 'locked into' the vision, totally.

I've experienced something similar. Problem is people don't realize how much the unconscious controls our perception of the world. The unconscious mind is about a million times more powerful then your consciousness. Your consciousness only occupies 2 to 5% of your brain. It's an up hill battle. The unconscious mind can create visions, cause you to hear voices, affect your dreams.

If there is a God, God really screwed it up for us giving us so little conscious awareness/control over our own brain.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's always heartwarming when reality conforms to our beliefs and expectations, isn't it?
Now, try to imagine the scenario you describe if you remove the concepts of "what is allowed" and what you are "locked in" to seeing.
I would suggest that one is "locked in" due to their rigid beliefs about what is "allowable" and what is not.

With belief structures like this how else could the scenario play out?

*shakes head and giggles*

Personally speaking, I can hardly wait for the time when human animals get over these silly notions of so-called "prophets".

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've experienced something similar. Problem is people don't realize how much the unconscious controls our perception of the world. The unconscious mind is about a million times more powerful then your consciousness. Your consciousness only occupies 2 to 5% of your brain. It's an up hill battle. The unconscious mind can create visions, cause you to hear voices, affect your dreams.

If there is a God, God really screwed it up for us giving us so little conscious awareness/control over our own brain.
In my view, the so-called unconscious has little to do with it, rather, it is perhaps a case of being oblivious to the ramifications of the beliefs that we hold and how we superimpose them onto reality. If anything, it is merely an extremely willful ego shoehorning experience into the pine box of their understanding. Some "prophet", eh?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity

Hookah-Junior-1-Blue-L.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Personally speaking, I can hardly wait for the time when human animals get over these silly notions of so-called "prophets".

I've often wondered why people are too ready to accept such a claim. Maybe people want to believe there is someone who can give them answers.

Mohammed was a successful diplomat. People admire and want to imitate success. If you want to be a prophet you got to show people that you can succeed. Then I guess people will believe God is on your side. God is always on the winning side.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Tell that to the Muslims facing ISIS. :) Is god on both sides? Neither?

Isn't that the battle? We see the middle of it, but if ISIS wins isn't that proof. If ISIS is defeated then they were following false Imams.

Israel is supported (religiously) because of their ability to defend themselves. If they ever get overrun then it will show they weren't the chosen.

Sabour

Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him received the revelation through the angel Gabriel over a period of 23 years. Some of these were in Makkah while others were in Madina.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Others say psychoactive plants in the desert.
Granted, I've only been researching Islam and Muhammad for 14 very long and often tedious years now, but who exactly is suggesting that he used psychoactive plants to gain his vision. I've yet to read this from any serious claimants.

jonathan180iq

Granted, I've only been researching Islam and Muhammad for 14 very long and often tedious years now, but who exactly is suggesting that he used psychoactive plants to gain his vision. I've yet to read this from any serious claimants.

Psychoactive Plants in Islam | The Art of Islamic Healing

The Cultural History of Plants - Google Books

Hallucinatory Experience & Religion Formation | Issue 91 | Philosophy Now

There's other stuff and some sources but I don't have much time to hunt today.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Muhammad got Word of Revelation from Allah (YHWH, Brahman, Ahura-Mazda, Tao etc names of G-d in different languages) in Mecca, Medina or wherever Muhammad was while he lived in this world in 23 years, after he was appointed a prophet/messenger by G-d.

Regards