• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are YOUR Laws written?

Jeremiah 31:33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people. -NIV

This passage is quoted twice by the author of Hebrews in chapters 8 and 10. But really, what does this mean to YOU? Are God's rules written on your heart or do you accept a "higher version" in terms of a manuscript or church dogma? Does your understanding of the scriptures and of God supersede anyone else's understanding?

This was prompted by a discourse where I saw the NT used as a "Rule Book" rather than in "Inspiration".

Arn't you quoting from the NT? Why not go a step forward and say, why not use the concept behind the religion as inspiration. I may be jumping to far ahead for ya. Just a sugestion pete.

Rolling_Stone

I will be their God,

This passage is quoted twice by the author of Hebrews in chapters 8 and 10. But really, what does this mean to YOU? Are God's rules written on your heart or do you accept a "higher version" in terms of a manuscript or church dogma? Does your understanding of the scriptures and of God supersede anyone else's understanding?

This was prompted by a discourse where I saw the NT used as a "Rule Book" rather than in "Inspiration".
Law is life itself and not the rules of its conduct, but the knowledge thereof is not reached through the mind. For, "The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God" and "the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Jeremiah is in the OT, but it was quoted twice in Hebrews. What do you mean use the concept behind the religion?
Arn't you quoting from the NT? Why not go a step forward and say, why not use the concept behind the religion as inspiration. I may be jumping to far ahead for ya. Just a sugestion pete.

PureX

Veteran Member
I had a friend some years ago who was the pastor of a Lutheran church. As the pastor, members of his church were often coming to him looking for him to tell them what they must do regarding the various problems and choices in their lives. And they would get angry with him because he tended not to want to tell them what they should do. He was not a 'type A' personality and so didn't automatically take to the position of leadership that so many of his parishioners expected of him. And it confused and frustrated he and them for years.

From the outside, I found it all somewhat humorous. It was such a reminder of the message in that old Eurythmic's song: "... some of them want to abuse you, and some of them want to be abused ..." The members of this fellow's parish kept coming to him asking him questions like; "Pastor, my neighbor's wife wants to sleep with me, what should I do?" And my friend would say things like; "You should search your heart and do what you believe is best for everyone". And then the parishioner would be shocked and outraged at the pastor for giving them such an unequivocal and open-ended response. It made me laugh. it was like watching the pastor hand freedom and independence to one of his sheep, and watching the sheep get all flustered because he doesn't want to be free and independent. He wants to be led around by the nose. That ring in the nose, that ideological enslavement to religious rule, has become a kind of prison cell, and the prisoner has become so used to it that it's the only place he feels safe. So that when his pastor offers him freedom, and independence of thought, and of will, and bids him to trust in God's voice within his own heart, the man freaks out, and accuses the pastor of being weak in his faith and foolishly "liberal".

But the pastor was not weak in his faith at all. In fact he had far more faith than the parishioners who had imprisoned themselves in their religious laws and rules and dictators. My friend truly believed that God will guide anyone who asks for God's guidance, and will do so honorably and clearly. It was the folks who had no faith in God, or in God's voice within themselves, that needed their religion to tell them what to think and do all the time.

joeboonda

I see nothing unreasonable about any of this
icon14.gif

One thing though; intuition, as I understand it, isn't the same as emotion. When I say "feeling of guidance" the feeling is just a by-product, not the actual guiding principle itself.

In fact, in my experience, in order to gain access to "the still small voice" emotion is one of the first things that has to be set aside.
I agree.

joeboonda

I had a friend some years ago who was the pastor of a Lutheran church. As the pastor, members of his church were often coming to him looking for him to tell them what they must do regarding the various problems and choices in their lives. And they would get angry with him because he tended not to want to tell them what they should do. He was not a 'type A' personality and so didn't automatically take to the position of leadership that so many of his parishioners expected of him. And it confused and frustrated he and them for years.

From the outside, I found it all somewhat humorous. It was such a reminder of the message in that old Eurythmic's song: "... some of them want to abuse you, and some of them want to be abused ..." The members of this fellow's parish kept coming to him asking him questions like; "Pastor, my neighbor's wife wants to sleep with me, what should I do?" And my friend would say things like; "You should search your heart and do what you believe is best for everyone". And then the parishioner would be shocked and outraged at the pastor for giving them such an unequivocal and open-ended response. It made me laugh. it was like watching the pastor hand freedom and independence to one of his sheep, and watching the sheep get all flustered because he doesn't want to be free and independent. He wants to be led around by the nose. That ring in the nose, that ideological enslavement to religious rule, has become a kind of prison cell, and the prisoner has become so used to it that it's the only place he feels safe. So that when his pastor offers him freedom, and independence of thought, and of will, and bids him to trust in God's voice within his own heart, the man freaks out, and accuses the pastor of being weak in his faith and foolishly "liberal".

But the pastor was not weak in his faith at all. In fact he had far more faith than the parishioners who had imprisoned themselves in their religious laws and rules and dictators. My friend truly believed that God will guide anyone who asks for God's guidance, and will do so honorably and clearly. It was the folks who had no faith in God, or in God's voice within themselves, that needed their religion to tell them what to think and do all the time.

Good post. Jesus came to set us free, to get us out from under the heavy yoke of bondage to legalistic laws that no man can bear. If a man will trust God, He will help him make good decisions on his own.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
I will be their God,

It's interesting that when we hear the word law, many tend to recoil at the mere use of the word,and philosphize it to death,especially when it comes to spiritual laws under God,yet the irony of it all is, our whole universe is governed and regulated by them.
We ourselves live under extreme laws,be it ,physical,chemical,universal,civil and last, but certainly not least, spiritual laws
We have come to accept and live within these perimeters and it is no different with God';s spiritual and /or moral laws.
Oh yes,we try to deny,defy,alter and refute these laws, in many different ways,but when it comes down to it ,God's kingdom is governed and regulated by similar principals and laws and while in this life we somehow think we can evade them,to many people's surprise, we will be subject to them in the next life, only it will be the consequences of not living according to them while in this life.

We understand what happens when we violate any law in the universe there are consequences and effects,it is no different when we step outside God's kingdom laws and principals.
This is not, nor has it ever been, a fear tactic of God's, as many people associate it to be,but a means in which to truly bless and prosper the people who recognise and become subject to these laws.

We certainly know how safe,rich,full and free our lives can be when we are eating right,exercising,operating within the natural laws and refraining from criminal activity .

So in response to the question, the spiritual laws of God are written on the hearts and minds of man and upon subjecting oneself to these laws ,one automatically becomes subject to the other laws that exist,be it physical,chemical,civil and natural laws.