• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the Student is Ready the Teacher Will Appear

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I've been hearing this most my life and I always assumed it meant that a teacher would appear and be ready, able, willing to teach and to some extent I still believe this true, but ... I had a thought a few minutes ago spawned by this particular aphorism. Student mentality enables greater learning and understanding, so if when the student is ready, it could imply that when the student understands the concept of being a student and accepts the need to be one, the student is ready for the teaching. Another aspect of this axiom was written in a Stephen Covey book. "Seven habits of highly Effective People" "

Seek first to understand then to be understood", which could involve being the student until a thing is understood accurately enough to articulate whilst keeping the student mentality in play throughout the dialogue or discourse.

Philosophy? I don't know, but this forum seems appropriate enough for the discussion.

Any thoughts or insight on the meaning itself?

Last edited:

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
First time hearing it. If I had to assume, I'd say that in opening one's mind, being thoughtful, and nurturing one's curiosity people ready themselves to learn from the "teachers" of every day life. This could be in watching and considering the nuances of how events unfold that they witness, considering the words from people they know or meet more deeply, or paying better attention to the way their worldview or biases influence the way they pick up and retain information

It's important to consider life and the relationships we have with people thoughtfully. Learn to read between the lines, and learn that there's usually more than one set of lines to read between

I'd also pair that sentiment with another colloquialism though: God helps those who help themselves. If you want to be a better learner, you have to crack open a book and take the effort to become a better learner for yourself

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
so if when the student is ready, it could imply that when the student understands the concept of being a student and accepts the need to be one, the student is ready for the teaching.

That sounds right and I think you are onto something.

Philosophy? I don't know, but this forum seems appropriate enough for the discussion.

It seems appropriate to me as well. This is because the student or disciple is someone who likely wants to learn the meaning of life, the highest good, how we should act, etc. A good teacher can impart the knowledge of such philosophical things.

I don’t know where exactly the adage comes from, but I’ve come across a couple of things about the student meeting the teacher in Hindu texts. What both of them say about the relation between teacher and student is interesting. In the Chāndogya Upaniṣad, it explains that a teacher points the student to the right direction, and the student has to do the walking in order to reach the supreme goal of life. Also, the Śiva Purāṇa says that association with devotees of Śiva leads to meeting the teacher. Then, the teacher shows the student how to worship Śiva in a ritualistic manner. Afterward, the student must do what the student was taught in order to be transformed into a devotee and attain realization of the Lord. In both texts, the teacher essentially prepares the student to attain what the teacher had attained. So, being ready can mean being ready to do what the student might learn from the teacher.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
That sounds right and I think you are onto something.

It seems appropriate to me as well. This is because the student or disciple is someone who likely wants to learn the meaning of life, the highest good, how we should act, etc. A good teacher can impart the knowledge of such philosophical things.

I don’t know where exactly the adage comes from, but I’ve come across a couple of things about the student meeting the teacher in Hindu texts. What both of them say about the relation between teacher and student is interesting. In the Chāndogya Upaniṣad, it explains that a teacher points the student to the right direction, and the student has to do the walking in order to reach the supreme goal of life. Also, the Śiva Purāṇa says that association with devotees of Śiva leads to meeting the teacher. Then, the teacher shows the student how to worship Śiva in a ritualistic manner. Afterward, the student must do what the student was taught in order to be transformed into a devotee and attain realization of the Lord. In both texts, the teacher essentially prepares the student to attain what the teacher had attained. So, being ready can mean being ready to do what the student might learn from the teacher.

In certain applications certainly, in others it is or can be up to the student to be the student and teach self through discipline and effort and perseverance. It's not uncommon for a theorist to face great challenges, nor scientists or chemists in deve[oping something new. Teachers often enough present roadblocks to students, in which case the student is required to teach themselves by being a better student in order to overcome the challenges.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think it is attributed to Laozi (Lao Tzu), considered to be the founder of Daoism. The full quote is "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready, the teacher will disappear." Make of that what you will.
What is being ready? To me it's not thinking you are ready but truly being ready. And how do we really know if we're ready or not. A true teacher will have that insight.

And even if we're ready and the teacher appear, how can we be sure the one that appears is really a teacher or not? In both the East and West there are endless examples of those who pretended to be teachers but were really not. Or maybe the teacher appears but does not meet our expectations.

"The teacher will disappear". To me that's a statement of the teacher, the teaching and the taught becoming one unity.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
People grow to like learning things.

People do not usually listen and sometimes cannot learn what you are trying to tell them.

Genius is a rare or awakened trait.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've been hearing this most my life and I always assumed it meant that a teacher would appear and be ready, able, willing to teach and to some extent I still believe this true, but ... I had a thought a few minutes ago spawned by this particular aphorism. Student mentality enables greater learning and understanding, so if when the student is ready, it could imply that when the student understands the concept of being a student and accepts the need to be one, the student is ready for the teaching. Another aspect of this axiom was written in a Stephen Covey book. "Seven habits of highly Effective People" "

Seek first to understand then to be understood", which could involve being the student until a thing is understood accurately enough to articulate whilst keeping the student mentality in play throughout the dialogue or discourse.

It seems there are always people about, especially if you are looking for the "truth", who are looking for a student.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I always read it as meaning that until the student is ready, there can be no teacher/teaching.

Basically, you can walk past a dozen learning opportunities or mentors and not be taught a damn thing, or even notice the opportunity to learn, but when in the right space, those same opportunities will be become apparent and impactful.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I always read it as meaning that until the student is ready, there can be no teacher/teaching.

Basically, you can walk past a dozen learning opportunities or mentors and not be taught a damn thing, or even notice the opportunity to learn, but when in the right space, those same opportunities will be become apparent and impactful.
Very well stated. Thank you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Maybe it's the student who is ready whom actually appears as the teacher.

RhySantos

"When the Student is Ready the Teacher Will Appear"
I absolutely agree,

Btw I read 7 habits of the highly effective people.. Great book.

The "teacher" Here may refer to the student himself.. If you keep your eyes and ears shut to other people's opinions.. You are willingly being blind and deaf to the world, you know?

And as Socrates famously said in Athens (idk if he said it in Athens lol)
"I know that I know nothing"

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well here is a TRUE story of how a teacher miraculously appeared to a ready student (me):

A few decades back now I had an intense interest in the paranormal but very little spiritual understanding from the eastern (India) spiritual traditions. Hinduism was nothing more than an odd ball of confusion in my western mind. At a bookstore I read about a two sentence long message about a Guru in India that is supposedly surrounded by many miracles. I put that name 'Sai Baba' in the back of my mind at that point. During my next trip to my local library, I browsed the biography section under 'B' for 'Baba' and ended up coming home with the book 'The Holy Man and the Psychiatrist'. That was the beginning of everything eastern and Sai Baba for me.

Now, for the strange (miraculous?? part). Some time later (maybe a year or two) I went back to that library and couldn't find the book. I did a fairly exhaustive search of their records and catalogs and could find no indication that the book exists or ever existed at that library. I really doubt such a new book was dropped by the library when they have books with an inch of dust on them there forever. But I can't help but think of how Sai asks that he not be proselytized and that he can reach each person who is ready without our help. Why did I find that book at that library that now supposedly does not exist there?

I checked it out with the librarian at the front counter computer without anything unusual happening. A book that is nowhere in their system went through their system???? And further I found him under 'B' for Baba like it was a last name and not the way he would logically be filed. My naivety seems funny to me today and my search should never have been successful.

P.S. It was the Troy, Michigan main library. I also remember the book was stamped with the name Southfield (neighboring city) Satya Sai Baba Center. I wonder if some center was missing a book? And then it reappeared miraculously?