• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the site goes down . . .

Heyo

Veteran Member
The owners just informed us that they're migrating the site to a new server.

It's a pretty big deal tech wise, so there are probably going to be some hiccups.
Maybe they should keep the site closed if they are going to delete content anyway?
Or we should refrain from posting until the migration is done?

I think I'll stick with Discord until informed that the site is stable again.
Bye for now.

We Never Know

No Slack
Maybe they should keep the site closed if they are going to delete content anyway?
Or we should refrain from posting until the migration is done?

I think I'll stick with Discord until informed that the site is stable again.
Bye for now.
And bring back the informative frube!!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe an over simplification, but speaking as an IT person who has lived through server migrations… 2 words….. Backup and restore

I'm sure the new server is doing the best he can.

GAHx.gif

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
When they plan a backup, they should notify everyone who could be affected when it will take place in advance, not after the fact so that everyone starts asking what is going on when something goes wrong.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I could be mistaken, but I swear, I just got an alert for a new post went to look at it and it vanished completely as did the alert

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I could be mistaken, but I swear, I just got an alert for a new post went to look at it and it vanished completely as did the alert
yeah...similar experiences...although, since I have memory problems, it's not that different than a normal day...where I can't find the post I just made because I really had just thought about making the post and hadn't actually posted it...:(

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Maybe an over simplification, but speaking as an IT person who has lived through server migrations… 2 words….. Backup and restore
When we did updates and migrations, we made damn sure everyone knew ahead of time: Tell people it was coming, lock the system down, backup and restore on a new machine (or transaction update), bring up new machine, check it out and then open it back up.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
When we did updates and migrations, we made damn sure everyone knew ahead of time: Tell people it was coming, lock the system down, backup and restore on a new machine (or transaction update), bring up new machine, check it out and then open it back up.
I don't think the owners were expecting things to go wrong the way they did.

And apparently the problems were on the server side, something the owners and our tech guy wouldn't have had any control over.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

I am guessing right about now that RF is hating us IT types who post here

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't think the owners were expecting things to go wrong the way they did.

And apparently the problems were on the server side, something the owners and our tech guy wouldn't have had any control over.
Stuff happens. The issue for me is lack of notice. In the "real" business world, this kind of situation could easily lead to someone being summarily fired for not telling "stake holders" about significant changes.