• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Should Women Obey Their Husbands?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Under what conditions, if any, should a woman habitually obey her husband? Are there any conditions under which a woman should not obey her husband?

If a woman should habitually obey her husband, why should she habitually obey her husband? Is a woman who does not habitually obey her husband acting in an immoral manner?

If a woman believes her husband is a fool, should she still habitually obey him? If a woman believes her husband is abusive, should she still obey him?

Bonus Question: Why is nearly every woman on the Forum secretly in love with Debater Slayer despite his appalling taste in socks?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If her husband is a fat drunk lazy couch potato, I don't think she should be submissive. Maybe entice him to go to the gym :p

Edit** when you say socks do you mean sock puppets? :p

Skwim

Veteran Member
Under what conditions, if any, should a woman habitually obey her husband?
All conditions. There are no exceptions.
1 Peter 3
3 Wives, respect and obey your husbands in the same way.

Ephesians 5:22-33
22 A wife should put her husband first, as she does the Lord. 23 A husband is the head of his wife,

Colossians 3:18
Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.​

Are there any conditions under which a woman should not obey her husband?
Nope. If there were they would have been mentioned.

If a woman should habitually obey her husband, why should she habitually obey her husband?
The Bible tells her to.

Is a woman who does not habitually obey her husband acting in an immoral manner?
Don't know about the morality of it all, but it cannot be countenanced.

If a woman believes her husband is a fool, should she still habitually obey him?
Absolutely. There are are no exceptions to the law.

If a woman believes her husband is abusive, should she still obey him?
Absolutely. There are are no exceptions to the law.

1 Peter 3

3 Wives, respect and obey your husbands in the same way.

Ephesians 5:22-33
22 A wife should put her husband first, as she does the Lord. 23 A husband is the head of his wife,

Colossians 3:18

Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.​

Deidre

Under what conditions, if any, should a woman habitually obey her husband? Are there any conditions under which a woman should not obey her husband?

If a woman should habitually obey her husband, why should she habitually obey her husband? Is a woman who does not habitually obey her husband acting in an immoral manner?

If a woman believes her husband is a fool, should she still habitually obey him? If a woman believes her husband is abusive, should she still obey him?

Bonus Question: Why is nearly every woman on the Forum secretly in love with Debater Slayer despite his appalling taste in socks?

I'm not obeying anyone. But I also don't ever wish to marry. :D
I'm dating someone now, but um...I don't obey him.

Obey...hahaha! Pulllease.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All conditions. There are no exceptions.
What about she gets pregnant and he tells her to abort? What if he wants group sex? What if she has children but he insists she go to work full time instead of staying with the children and he uses the money she makes to gamble? What if he tells her to lie?

Draka

Wonder Woman
When my hubby tells me to go sit down and take a break and he'll make dinner, or go out to the bar and have fun and he'll watch the kids..I have no problems obeying at all. ;)

When a husband (as well as a wife) instructs their spouse to do something nice for themselves, to rest, to take care of themselves, those are things worth listening to. Most other things are "ask" things. "Hun, could you take out the trash?" "would you grab that for me?" ...so on. As long as there is an understanding and equal give and take between them even little instructions back and forth are okay as it is a matter of working in conjunction.

A woman need only "obey" her husband in the same manner the husband "obeys" his wife.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

And herein lies the major stumbling blocks of legalistic orthodox gender roles. It gives a submissive role absolutely NO recourse NOR does it give a submissive role any place to put up the red flag.

Obedience is a mutually agreed upon contract, and one in which the submissive carries the most importance and power. The dominant can push and guide and lead, but ONLY within the boundaries set by the submissive. People are all wired differently in different circumstances. Pre-determined gender roles will only work for some couples on some occasions. Painting a broad brush leaves open too many opportunities for abuse.

Socks can always be removed. His outstanding wisdom and compassion outshines whatever footwear he may have. That is why.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What about she gets pregnant and he tells her to abort? What if he wants group sex? What if she has children but he insists she go to work full time instead of staying with the children and he uses the money she makes to gamble? What if he tells her to lie?

Unfortunately, there are factions of a couple religious traditions that remain strong on the male headship regardless of the possible harm upon his family. According to them, the father/husband will answer to God for his failure and the harm he brought on to the family, which is supposed to strike fear into their hearts to do better.

I've heard it, seen it, read it. I even see it on social media when friends applaud wives who remain steadfast as their husband's helpmeet when he has gambled all their money away, resulting in a loss of a home, health care, and their kids education. She announces how wrong as a wife it would be to challenge his decisions or to take any action to protect herself or their children, and instead insist on supporting his every decision as a Biblically surrendered wife...and she receives a happy response from her fellow congregation members. It's appalling, IMO.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Unfortunately, there are factions of a couple religious traditions that remain strong on the male headship regardless of the possible harm upon his family. According to them, the father/husband will answer to God for his failure and the harm he brought on to the family, which is supposed to strike fear into their hearts to do better.

I've heard it, seen it, read it. I even see it on social media when friends applaud wives who remain steadfast as their husband's helpmeet when he has gambled all their money away, resulting in a loss of a home, health care, and their kids education. She announces how wrong as a wife it would be to challenge his decisions or to take any action to protect herself or their children, and instead insist on supporting his every decision as a Biblically surrendered wife...and she receives a happy response from her fellow congregation members. It's appalling, IMO.

Yep! I actually heard a women tell her preacher that her husband was verbally and physically abusing her, - and he told her to stay in the relationship where God had placed her, and her being strong and staying, would eventually change him, and show God's will and power to the other women and men.

How appalling! Continued abuse! She could be permanently injured, or killed! And their children are learning to abuse!

Skwim

Veteran Member
Did you see any qualifications to the scriptural commands I cited? Nope. There are none. Want a husband? Then be prepared to obey. PERIOD!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did you see any qualifications to the scriptural commands I cited? Nope. There are none. Want a husband? Then be prepared to obey. PERIOD!
See this is where you put one scriptural command above another. Who gives you the authority?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where does obey your husband rank relative to all the other wisdom of God. First? Haha Tell the truth now. LOL. Is it first according to you? Do you understand the question?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What scriptural command? Let's not be coy here; present your case.
A person should not lie. Correct? A husband will tell his wife to lie. Sometimes he might be nice and ask. Is asking the same as commanding? That is an aside.
Does obeying trump not lying or does not lying trump obey?

Do you know what trump means?