• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When does one become "mature" ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This often puzzles me, and is a question I often ask myself.............not just for me, but for those around me.

On a personal note, I thought I was 'mature' at 21; at 27, I decided that at that younger age, I was still wet behind the ears.

Now, I am still not sure...........:D

What defines the 'Maturity' of a person; are you mature? if so, why do you believe it to be so?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Hmmm....well, I don't know exactly what makes you mature or immature, but I generally believe that one of the biggest qualities of a mature person is someone who can admit that they are wrong when they are. I would say that someone who can admit their faults is mature. And of course, your not going to say that a young person is mature. You might say that a 10 year old is mature for their age. But they haven't seen enough of the world to really be mature. Am I making any sense...?

I'm not mature. I haven't seen enough of the world to be mature, and I have temper tantrums when I don't get my way to often to be mature. I get jealous of people a lot, and that is definantly immature. I'm probably about 98% immature. I can be mature 2% of the time!!!!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Anade said:
Hmmm....well, I don't know exactly what makes you mature or immature, but I generally believe that one of the biggest qualities of a mature person is someone who can admit that they are wrong when they are. I would say that someone who can admit their faults is mature. And of course, your not going to say that a young person is mature. You might say that a 10 year old is mature for their age. But they haven't seen enough of the world to really be mature. Am I making any sense...?

Sure. You seem to be addressing the issue of experience. Experience *can* be the best teacher, but people don't always get the lessons it provides.

For that reason, we might call someone "immature" because they aren't in line with the average person of their age when it comes to behaving well.

I'm not mature. I haven't seen enough of the world to be mature, and I have temper tantrums when I don't get my way to often to be mature. I get jealous of people a lot, and that is definantly immature. I'm probably about 98% immature. I can be mature 2% of the time!!!!

Oh, I dunno. You seem pretty mature here. :)

A word to the wise about jealousy though: It will eat you alive and drive off those around you.

Since you're a Christian, why not keep repeating to yourself that commandment about not coveting things? Don't just read it -- say it aloud to yourself.

Over time, it sinks into your subconscious, and the jealousy will start to fade away.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
People don't really "grow up" until about 35 or 40, IMHO. It's around then they have enough experience to put many things in perspective.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Oh, I dunno. You seem pretty mature here. :)
Ha,hahaha,hahahahahahaha. Yeah, this is like, the side of me that only you guys see. Around my friends, I am a COMPLETELY differant story as far as maturity goes.

A word to the wise about jealousy though: It will eat you alive and drive off those around you.

Since you're a Christian, why not keep repeating to yourself that commandment about not coveting things? Don't just read it -- say it aloud to yourself.

Over time, it sinks into your subconscious, and the jealousy will start to fade away.

Thank you, great advice. I'll try to remember that this week.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yeah, I'm not sure we ever actually become mature. I think it's more of a quest than it is a condition. No matter how "mature" we get, we can still see how we're immature. And if we can't, then we're probably being very immature. *smile*

Booko

Deviled Hen
Anade said:
Ha,hahaha,hahahahahahaha. Yeah, this is like, the side of me that only you guys see. Around my friends, I am a COMPLETELY differant story as far as maturity goes.

My daugher is a complete gigglepuss, and that sometimes gets her tagged as immature. But if you stack up her decisions compared to some who are perceived as more mature, she's not immature by comparison. The stupidest things she's done is be a spaz miss homework, but even that's improved in the last year. If that's the worst I get from a teenager, I will say many prayers for thanksgiving. :D

Thank you, great advice. I'll try to remember that this week.

Never underestimate the power of sticky notes either. I had a friend who used to use them and index cards and pepper the house with reminders, not about the mundane, but the spiritual. It seemed to work pretty well for her.