• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When does life begin?

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I was listening to 2 people having a debate on abortion, and one person asked the other "when does life begin" and the other person said when it comes to humans it doesn't begin, you have an alive sperm and an alive egg coming together to make an alive human; at no point is anything dead coming to life, they just go from one form of life to another. I'm no biologist, but this make sense to me, yet I hear people claiming life begins at conception; am I missing something here?
Obviously, the embryo is a living cell right after conception, which is why it is possible to produce a baby from a frozen embryo. However, the question is when does the soul enter the embryo or fetus or when does a human life start. According to Michael Newton (https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Souls-Studies-Between-Lives/dp/1567184855) who has studied this using hypnotherapy, the soul does not enter the fetus until a few months after conception (it varies). But even after that, it does not stay there for long. Staying in the womb continuously for nine months, is too confining/boring for the soul. The soul flits in and out of the fetus in order to get accustomed to being in the body. Even after birth, it is not permanently with the baby's body until after a few years (maybe 5). This explains in part still-born babies or sudden-infant-death-syndrome when the soul decides at the last moment not to take the leap into a human life. However, at some time close to the time of birth, the soul has established a connection with the fetus, so the viability of the fetus outside the womb is probably the best moment to consider as the start of a human life.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well, I can only do what I can do, which is err on the side of science, which seems to show that earlier and earlier life is present. So the question is "When does life begin," and the answer for me is that it begins at conception. I mean, it may as well.
Life began with the first self replicating
molecules.

Audie

Veteran Member
Obviously, the embryo is a living cell right after conception, which is why it is possible to produce a baby from a frozen embryo. However, the question is when does the soul enter the embryo or fetus or when does a human life start. According to Michael Newton (https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Souls-Studies-Between-Lives/dp/1567184855) who has studied this using hypnotherapy, the soul does not enter the fetus until a few months after conception (it varies). But even after that, it does not stay there for long. Staying in the womb continuously for nine months, is too confining/boring for the soul. The soul flits in and out of the fetus in order to get accustomed to being in the body. Even after birth, it is not permanently with the baby's body until after a few years (maybe 5). This explains in part still-born babies or sudden-infant-death-syndrome when the soul decides at the last moment not to take the leap into a human life. However, at some time close to the time of birth, the soul has established a connection with the fetus, so the viability of the fetus outside the womb is probably the best moment to consider as the start of a human life.
That is a question-imo, an idle one- not
THE question.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I was taking you at your word that I was wrong.
Then I was asking for clarification as to what exactly I got wrong, seeing as you merely made the declaration I was wrong.

Now you say to go back and read it if I have questions that you are not going to clarify when asked?

Seems like a lot of back peddling to me.
Seems argumentative to me.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Is a human sperm or egg human in the same way we are human?
At any point is any part of the process involves something that is not human?
And if so, what is it?
I mean specifically, what is it?

I think the point is fundamental to the debate.
Unless there is a claim that something not human is involved in the process, I fail to see how the "human" specification is even relevant.

Is a fertilized ovum a human or is it a cell and of human origin.
seems to me this is a false dichotomy.

What does it mean to be human and when does that happen?
that seems to be asking for biological specification/qualifications far above my knowledge base.

Audie

Veteran Member
The title of this thread is "When does life begin?" If you don't think this question is valid or needs to be answered, why are you here?
The particular question was about insertion of soul.

Which is an idle and frivolous question.

Why respond so off topic?

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
At any point is any part of the process involves something that is not human?
And if so, what is it?
I mean specifically, what is it?

Unless there is a claim that something not human is involved in the process, I fail to see how the "human" specification is even relevant.

seems to me this is a false dichotomy.

that seems to be asking for biological specification/qualifications far above my knowledge base.
Ok.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I was listening to 2 people having a debate on abortion, and one person asked the other "when does life begin" and the other person said when it comes to humans it doesn't begin, you have an alive sperm and an alive egg coming together to make an alive human; at no point is anything dead coming to life, they just go from one form of life to another. I'm no biologist, but this make sense to me, yet I hear people claiming life begins at conception; am I missing something here?
Seems to me that instead of saying "life begins at conception" they should be saying "the individual begins at conception".

Daemon Sophic

Life simply continues from the monoploid germ cells, into the diploid zygote. But this is a discussion in the General Religious Debates; SOOooooo.... The OP is more likely looking for "when does the developing organism forming from the zygote actually get a "soul" and therefore become a human person"? Which @Kfox indicates on page #2, post #30.

So, what do we know, from a religious aspect?

1. - It undeniably cannot be at conception. Why? Because of identical twins and triplets, etc.... A set of paternal twins are just 2 eggs fertilized by 2 sperm. But IDENTICAL twins/triplets result from just 1 egg and 1 sperm, forming a diploid zygote, and then it starts dividing. And somewhere along the line (sometimes at 2 cells, or at 4 cells, or 16, or 256....); some of the cells break away, and a second fetus starts to grow alongside the first. So unless you suggest that twins have a split/partial soul compared to the majority of us (and I know that no sane theist does), then it has to be later in development.

2. - "Ensoulment" is highly unlikely to occur at any time during the first trimester. Why? Because roughly 1/3 of all conceptions and uterine implantations actually "auto-abort" during the first 3 months of pregnancy. Yes, that does make God the most prolific abortionist in all the history of humanity, let alone the history of medicine. So unless the theists are suggesting that their divine "All-Father" is a sadomasochistic pig-dog, who simply enjoys creating souls just to burn them...... then Nope. Not until after 12 weeks..... minimum. :shrug:

3. - If we limit ourselves to Christianity, then the so-called infallible Bible (I'm citing the New International Version) has over 560 references of the work "life". Most of these do not apply to babies or developing fetuses. Many, refering to animals and/or people individually as being alive or not, mention the phrase "breath of life". Suggesting that breathing air (or at least oxygen from the water, perhaps) is the defining requirement for being counted as Alive. Thus, only upon birth into the Nitrogen/Oxygen atmosphere, do they get life.
Another frequent reference, when discussing life in a person, is blood or "Lifeblood". If this is the defining feature of personhood/life, then we have to figure on a timeframe of roughly 10 weeks gestation; by which point the fetal circulatory fluid (few red blood cells. Mostly water and proteins (including heme groups)), transitions from mostly the so-called "yolk-sac", to the placenta. Mind you, the fetus never really has a fully functional circulatory system until soon after breathing atmosphere, and having the umbilical cord cut/crushed.
"With its first breath, the baby's pulmonary vascular resistance substantially drops, which is in response to the oxygen now present in the lungs and the physical act of breathing. With the umbilical cord clamping after birth, the systemic vascular resistance increases, helping the blood flow toward the lungs. The ductus arteriosus has a left-to-right flow within 10 minutes. The smooth muscle in the ductus arteriosus responds to the oxygen by increasing calcium channel activity, causing constriction and, ultimately, shunt closure. The increased systemic resistance also raises the pressure in the left atrium to be higher than the right atrium, and this causes the foramen ovale to close."
If these changes did not occur (or if they occurred before birth), the baby (or fetus) would die.

Note: The Bible also mentions "soul" roughly 95 times, none of which is part of a discussion on fetuses or conception. None discuss the time at which a person gets a soul. Also, the 60+ references to "conceive" have no reference to receiving a soul or spirit.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to me that instead of saying "life begins at conception" they should be saying "the individual begins at conception".
And yet, how "individual" is it when it is basically a parasite that is not viable outside of its human host? That is, it is absolutely dependent upon another in a way that even those who deny the interdependence of all existence have a hard time being dismissive of. There are many reasons why RvW was the sensible compromise, but this above all others is the prime.

No viability = no human rights.

It really should be that simple.

We Never Know

No Slack
First life was unicellular (a single cell).... So there's that.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
And yet, how "individual" is it when it is basically a parasite that is not viable outside of its human host? That is, it is absolutely dependent upon another in a way that even those who deny the interdependence of all existence have a hard time being dismissive of. There are many reasons why RvW was the sensible compromise, but this above all others is the prime.

No viability = no human rights.

It really should be that simple.
"parasite"

I don't much care for that word as a description.

But...we all are basically parasites to earth.

Last edited:

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
The particular question was about insertion of soul.

Which is an idle and frivolous question.

Why respond so off topic?
It is not off-topic at all. I believe human life starts when the soul enters the fetus. 'When does life start' is exactly the topic of this thread.