• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Christ's followers cease being a failure?

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
Millerite Adventists ?? William Miller was dead wrong in his prediction of Christ's return in Oct 1844, he dabbled in dates and times of that return, strictly forbidden. His false prophecy harmed gullible people who gave away property and their farms and homes. He has left little of value from which to develop a creed.

Look at all the harm that came to all that put their faith in Jesus Christ. Were there no gullible people in Christ’s day? Wasn’t the loss of property and even human lives a common occurrence for the followers of Jesus? Where does the Bible forbid specifying the season when Christ would return?

As I see it, Millerite Adventists have the honorable distinction of having five chapters in the Revelation of Jesus Christ pertaining directly to their movement, which includes a record of their disappointment and the promise that they must prophesy again.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
As I see it, Millerite Adventists have the honorable distinction of having five chapters in the Revelation of Jesus Christ pertaining directly to their movement, which includes a record of their disappointment and the promise that they must prophesy again.
Or, you know, someone trying desperately to save their reputation(after being literally nothing but wrong) by interpreting an incredibly vague passage in a work already renown for being painfully vague, with a style that can be best described as "high-as-balls magic-mushroom LSD fever-dream".

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Look at all the harm that came to all that put their faith in Jesus Christ. Were there no gullible people in Christ’s day? Wasn’t the loss of property and even human lives a common occurrence for the followers of Jesus? Where does the Bible forbid specifying the season when Christ would return?

Did Shmogie give you permission to start a thread using his quote? If not, you need it first.

shmogie

M

Millerites follow a failed and discredited preacher, whose lies, obvious for all to see, are of the devil. Those believers persecuted for following the truth had the high position of suffering for their Lord. Those poor people who suffered because of Millers erroneous predictions, suffered for needlessly for nothing. Adventism, at least the SDA kind, is founded upon upon the "visions" of a false prophet, who stole chapter and verse from other authors. Further, the SDA's are a works oriented denomination that exalts law over Grace.
Finally, the millerite movement deserves nor receives any references in the book of Revelation. There are a group of denominations founded in the 19th century, founded in error and a desire for personal exceptionalism whereby they see their little group in the Bible as exalted above all others. They convince themselves to see it, but t s a chimera, not eally there.
Did Shmogie give you permission to start a thread using his quote? If not, you need it first.
It's Ok with me !

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
Does it make sense to you that I should interrupt the thread by answering the question where it was originally asked? Nevertheless, I'll be happily delete it if he wants me to.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The thread title is a bit confusing. Are you saying that your type of Xianity is completely different from those that don't predict the end times? :confused:

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
Finally, the millerite movement deserves nor receives any references in the book of Revelation.
If your statement is based on understanding the book of Revelation, then please point me to an online commentary of the book of Revelation that you agree with.

Theweirdtophat

If I'm not mistaken, in the New Testament, it said that no one know when the end times will happen, not even Jesus, only the Father knows. So I'm not sure why people try to predict when something will happen when no one really knows for sure.

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
If I'm not mistaken, in the New Testament, it said that no one know when the end times will happen, not even Jesus, only the Father knows. So I'm not sure why people try to predict when something will happen when no one really knows for sure.
Jesus taught that the season would be known:

Matthew 24
29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

Theweirdtophat

Jesus taught that the season would be known:

Matthew 24
29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

He said what the signs were going to be, but never had a specific date in time. Otherwise, no one would bother trying to predict it and everyone would know when it'd happen.

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
You keep bringing up passages from Revelations, however I have yet to see you actually tell us which passages.
I plan on starting a new thread on The Millerite Interpretation of the Book of Revelation where I'll quote excerpts from it and explain the new paradigm that Millerite Adventists believe vindicates William Miller.

Zog Has-fallen

A Christian Truther
He said what the signs were going to be, but never had a specific date in time. Otherwise, no one would bother trying to predict it and everyone would know when it'd happen.
The Millerites believed that they witnessed all those signs. For instance, they interpreted the tribulation to be the 1260 years of papal persecution. And Miller's interpretation of Daniel 8:14 seemed to confirm that the fulfillment of Christ's predictions were on time. For a more detailed exposition, see The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White.

shmogie

If your statement is based on understanding the book of Revelation, then please point me to an online commentary of the book of Revelation that you agree with.

The burden of proof is upon you You made claims about Millerites and Revelation initially, prove them.

The issue is to be settled sola scriptura. Commentaries hold no authority.