• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your favorite Western?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Unforgiven is ultimate western and pretty much definitively concluded the genre. It's a bit dark, but one of the few movies that can be considered masterpieces. It is especially good when watched in the context of Clint Eastwood's earlier westerns.

Trey of Diamonds

Unforgiven is ultimate western and pretty much definitively concluded the genre. It's a bit dark, but one of the few movies that can be considered masterpieces. It is especially good when watched in the context of Clint Eastwood's earlier westerns.

Really? I thought it was an excellent movie but hardly definitive. I thought Silverado was more definitive although they took it to the extreme, so much so that it was almost a parody. Why do you feel that the Unforgiven is definitive?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Serenity... (Ok it's not a western in the traditional sense, but it is in more of a modern interpretation)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with almost everybody else's pics in this thread, and I'll add;

Hombre-
--with Paul Newman.

The Magnificent Seven
---Yule Brenner, Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen, Eli Walleck, ...

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
The Wild Bunch
Peckinpah's masterpiece imo. Savagely violent, unsavory, even unlikeable, protagonists; amazing editing (including slo-mo techniques that would become a staple in action films decades later); great screenplay and the 1st film to use the actual sound effects a specific gun makes when firing. it's all in the details.... :)

Ugly, fascinating, gritty and brutal, The Wild bunch is not only my favorite Western, but one of my top 100 films or so.

gnomon

Sergio Leone's films, Unforgiven, The Magnificent Seven, The Wild Bunch, Serenity (yes, it counts)

Also,
The Proposition
Seraphim Falls
(not really a Western)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The Wild Bunch
Peckinpah's masterpiece imo. Savagely violent, unsavory, even unlikeable, protagonists; amazing editing (including slo-mo techniques that would become a staple in action films decades later); great screenplay and the 1st film to use the actual sound effects a specific gun makes when firing. it's all in the details.... :)

Ugly, fascinating, gritty and brutal, The Wild bunch is not only my favorite Western, but one of my top 100 films or so.

Absolutely. :yes:
In the same vein (that is; the end of the gunfighter era) I would add;

Shane
---Alan Ladd

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.---Paul Newman, Robert Redford

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yeah, how could we forget?--

Blazing Saddle
s--Cleavon Little, Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder